“Extremely poor customer service, don't bother”
Review of D'Sens - CLOSED

D'Sens
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Silom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

From all accounts the food is great but I had no end of trouble trying to get the restaurant to even respond to a booking request.
I frequent high end restaurants on my travels and I had heard lots of great things about D'Sens but I tried to make a booking via email before I landed in Bangkok. I had heard nothing by the time I had arrived so I emailed again and finally got a reply stating that the day I had requested was booked out. I was asked if I could come another day which wasn't a problem as I had a week to spare. I suggested some days and to this day, I haven't had a reply.
I gave up and went to a known favourite, Sirocco at Lebua State Tower. When you book with them, they respond by the end of the day and confirm the booking the day before with your hotel.
D'Sens need to take a lesson in customer service from Sirocco. It's one thing to have great food but if you can't book, what's the point?

3  Thank UnholyTrinity

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a nice restaurant in the Dusit Thani with a beautiful view from the hotel’s 21st floor. It is splendidly design, from the ceilings to the wall to every table. Their bar is an aquarium –s omething that it really unique. I went there for lunch and had their business lunch set. I ordered The Tasmanian Salmon. It was nice and tender, and melts in your mouth. The side dish of roasted scallops was also excellent. Their desserts were good tasting, and very well presented. The price for the set was only 950 – and the food was worth the price. They also have a nice selection of very good wines to choose from. Excellent service. Would make a nice place for businsess meals or for couples. If you like French food, you are going to love this place.

2  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Within an hour of arriving at the hotel I was ordering at the restaurant. Although I hadn't planned to eat there, one look at the lunchtime menu convinced me. I think it was just under 1,000 baht, which doesn't include a drink (as is normal in BKK). The food was excellent, the views were to die for (even at lunchtime), and the service was friendly, although perhaps a little less informed than to be expected.

The evening menu was considerable more expensive, but given the views at night, it would (depending on your budget) be an ideal spot for a celebration.

As always the major drawback to any restaurant experience in BKK is the price of the wine. I had a cocktail instead. The bill was a shade under 2,000 baht for me on my own.

The restaurant, like the old wing of the hotel, is showing slight signs of wear, plus the design could not be described as very contemporary. However, this certainly did not distract from the overall experience.

As the new Maître d' had only been there for a week, it would perhaps be unfair to criticise her for her lack of knowledge concerning the frequency of menu changes, etc. In addition, it was a little off-putting having her march around, hands clasped behind her back, looking very much like she were inspecting the troops. Also, I would have thought that, given her undoubted training, she would have thought better of criticising one of the waiting staff right next to my table, only to have him scampering away uttering a thousand apologies. I'm sure all this is just her settling in, as she seemed an extremely nice person.

The food was exquisite. This really is fine dining, with very few gimmicks. The combination of flavours spoke for themselves. In addition to the perfectly sized portions, a number of small snacks were offered between courses. I would be hard pressed to find fault with the food.

I would certainly recommend a lunchtime menu, and an evening cocktail. There's a DJ session on several days of the week, and the views are to die for. In the end, it would probably represent a better introduction to the skyline of BKK than the crowded Moon Bar at the Banyan Tree. Plus the cocktails here are far better.

1  Thank Pinkmoon7
Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Set menu was fantastic, great value and took out the guess work. Emerging selection of Thai red wines, worth a try. Stunning views and attentive staff.

2  Thank Matiu B
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was my first visit to D'Sens and looks like I will come back again, even though its painful on my wallet and a bit stingy on portion (French food). My wife and I had the business lunch set (not similar to the one on the website) and a big glass of Cafe Fondente (coffee with chocolate), which was pretty good.

We started off with a choice of bread - I had a roll with olives (if I am not mistaken) and butter. The roll was good. The other bit to the bread was this mixture of orange and green paste in the small glass (I think green was avocado) which was quite delicious. This was then followed by a cream cappuccino soup, which I think was avocado or broccoli cream soup, served in a small small bowl. Delicious as well.

My next starter was the foir gras - delicious. It didn't leave the funny after taste in my mouth like most other foir gras. My main course was this white fish in yellow sauce (sorry I can't remember the names), which I felt was not so tasty. Dessert was this lovely deconstructed black forest cake, which was interesting!

3  Thank SipsTea