“Cute restaurant, good prices, spotty service, underwhelming pizza”
Review of Bella Napoli

Bella Napoli
Ranked #398 of 11,469 Restaurants in Bangkok
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Visited Bella Napoli with my girlfriend on a Wednesday night around 8:30pm in late March 2013. Restaurant is in a great location on Sukhumvit Soi 31 not too far down and near many other great restaurants. We had high hopes for some great authentic pizza after reading all the reviews in Trip Advisor. Overall it was a bit disappointing but mainly because we had high expectations going in. Blame Trip Advisor for that.

First the pros. The restaurant is very cute, cozy, and authentic feeling. The prices are great - we paid Baht 250 for a large spicy salami pizza which is USD 8.50. And my personal favorite - the expatriate owner/operator is actually there overseeing everything which tends to make a large difference in service quality and smoothness of the experience.

Now onto the cons. I have to question the taste of so many of the other reviewers for this restaurant. We didn't like the pizza at all. We ordered a standard pizza with salami on top. It came out about 7 minutes after we ordered and at first, we were delighted at the prompt service. But our enthusiasm was quickly dampened. The pizza crust was soft and oily in places, none of that fresh baked crispiness you expect in a handmade to order pizza. The cheese was very dry, it had clearly been sitting out for some time. And the sauce was too sparse, hence making the pizza taste even more dry. I asked for some extra pizza sauce for dipping and the server responded they they serve ketchup and hot sauce but not extra tomato sauce. I pressed her and she finally agreed by bringing a tiny little container with tomato sauce in it - one of those cute little containers they serve gourmet mustard or ketchup in.

So we paid and ran out and got a second dinner on Thong Lor. It was worth a try but we won't be back. And of course we continue our search for great pizza in Bangkok. Stay tuned until next time.

1  Thank Tom K

Reviewed March 24, 2013

This used to be my favorite place for pizza in BKK. I have been here over 50 times over the years. When the Italian manager (or the Thai one) are present, the dining experience and the food (time to prepare and presentation) are better, but the place is in decline.

What I really hate about this place (currently) are some health issues that I observed just a few days ago. It was early and the managers were not present. The pizza chef was making a major effort at picking his nose, touching all around his pimpled face and putting hands around his lips and mouth....then, taking out the raw dough and making the pizza. Had I not considered the high heat element of this (and being a realist of what probably goes on that you don't observe), I accepted the pizza and consumed it. However, that is the last time I will be dining here.

This restaurant is generally higher priced for BKK and the staff understand very little English (hence you have the managers)....however, when a manager is not available, the most common words are not understood. They need to pay a little more and get some people that have the most basic understanding of working in a restaurant....or not leave them alone for a minute.

I am very unhappy about having to say the above, but it is the truth. This can be a good place, but change is necessary to get back to the old way!

3  Thank JohnQuid
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Where to start.
I will try to be as positive as I can.
Absolutely no atmosphere ( but maybe it was just our bad luck on the night ).
The food was .......... Food.
The staff ............ I believe it's possible for people to change.
Oh what the hell, I wouldn't wish this restaurant on my worst enemy.
Awful place. Give it a very wide birth.

1  Thank BibandTucker B
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I am from San Francisco, CA, Working for a San Francisco company and living in BKK. Food is below average. Expensive for US standards. I can cook better. My mother is Italian. Their pizzas are good. Order the pizzas and enjoy their good wines. Their wine is good. Not a service oriented restaurant.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went here because of the good rating the got. We wait one hour for our Pizzas, even if there have been three Thai Pizzaiolos, and the taste was absolutely disappointing. As it is even overpriced, we will not come back again.