“Good introduction to Bangkok. Helpful staff.”
Review of Diamond House

Diamond House
Ranked #302 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 2, 2011

We booked this hotel with Agoda.com before arriving in Bangkok. The hotels website has a very useful map of the hotels location with the street names written in Thai. Our taxi driver at the airport found this very funny, as did the other taxi drivers he showed it to, but he certainly found the place without any problems. Whether this was because of the map or because he already knew the place well I don't know, but it certainly gave us peace of mind for a first night in the city as we have had trouble with taxi's finding our hotel on other holidays. Also when we booked another hotel near by for the last few days of our stay, the taxi driver took us to somewhere that sounds very similar in Thai (we wanted the Lamphu tree hotel, and he was sure we wanted the Rambuttri Hotel). So the map was a nice touch. Thank god for cheap pay and go Thai sim cards and amazingly cheap taxi fares.

The hotel is very close to the Kohsan Rd. area, but far enough away for noise not to be an issue. It is very easy to go between the hotel and the Kohsan Rd. area as it is a straight walk over the canal and down the street (4/5 minutes) either way. The street is busy enough for it to feel safe walking along at night.

They have a very nice decked lounge area on the roof, with sun beds, and tables and chairs. It has a pretty good view over the area. There is also a Jacuzzi which we never used.
The Room was fairly small, with little floor space but it had good storage facilities, and a safe. The bathroom isn't very private, its behind a distorted glass sliding door and wall which doesn't reach the ceiling. So noises will be heard by other opucants. However nothing can be made out through the glass other than a shape, so you won't be on display.
The room we stayed in had a window, not much of a view but good enough to people watch while you wait for someone to get ready etc. There was a flat screen TV on the wall which had a few English news channels. The bed was a bunk bed. In the pictures on the website it looks as thought the bottom bunk is a double bed, it isn't, it is slightly wider than a normal single and one person trying to sleep on it as a double bed will have the bedside table sticking into them through the night (me, in this case). Obviously there are rooms with double beds available, but I can't comment on them as I didn't stay in one.
When used properly the beds are reasonable comfortable.
There is also a well stocked and cheap minibar, and some of the water bottles in it are free.

The staff looked slightly unapproachable at first, they were sat there watching soaps on the TV in the reception/restaurant and didn't look up when we walked in. This illusion was shattered as soon as I approached the reception desk they were very helpful, and friendly enough. One of them seemed a little grumpy when I asked if we could take our drinks up to the roof with us, this turned out to be a misunderstanding as she thought I wanted her to follow us up to the roof carrying our drinks. And to be fair to her, despite her demeanour, she was going to take them before the misunderstanding was sorted out.

I had one breakfast in the restaurant, a cheese omelet. It was OK. Not expensive, sort of what you would expect from a greasy cafe here in the UK. One person seemed to like the food as every time we went in and out her was sat at the same table outside, reading the paper, smoking Marlboroughs, and eating a hearty fried meal. Service was quick and friendly.

The trips that can be organised from reception seemed fairly expensive so we booked ours somewhere else. They may well have been worth the price, I didn't go on any so I don't know. There are plenty of places to organise trips from, mostly connected to hotels in the area so there is plenty of choice.

When we found a hotel in the city we were going to next on the cheap and speedy internet in reception (I can't remember if they have wifi. We didn't bring a laptop and just used their computers) they rang the hotel for us and helped us make the booking. We were charged a very reasonable small fee for the call.
We asked to book a taxi and they said just to flag one down on the road outside. They were right, legitimate taxi's drive past constantly and all you have to do is be there and they stop. When you don't want a taxi this can get irksome, but when you do its brilliant. Make sure they use the meter, they won't be offended if you ask them to turn it on, most do anyway but it can be an expensive question not to ask.

Overall the hotel was good. It wasn't stand out brilliant, but the price was good, the facilities were good, the staff were good and the location was good. I am returning to Bangkok this summer and am considering staying there again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Diamond House

Reviewed February 6, 2011

We were staying in bangkok for a few days and from positive reviews booked the diamond house. We had to upgrade from the initial room we had booked as it had no windows and was tiny. The hotel is nice with boutique touches, but we didn't feel value for money. It felt more like an expensive hostel. The location is good but if in one of the front rooms it's noisy from the road also. Ok but didn't live up to our expectations.

Reviewed January 16, 2011

we stayed 3 nights in the Diamond House and we can recomend that house to everybody. The stuff is friendly, the rooms are a little bit small, but very clean and comfortable.
For Thailand it is upper standart. It is located in the old part of Bangkok, a bit noisy.
We felt very good during that stay.

Reviewed January 8, 2011

I don't recommend you stay here after a long flight without sleep. Because you will hardly get any sleep in this place that's on a busy road, has noisy a/c, and other appliances that just keep you from getting a good night sleep (and I'm not even a light sleeper!). The rooms are pretty and cosy though, and clean. Staff hardly speaks English, and therefor is unable to be very helpful.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2011

First thing first, the rooms are very small. I travel light and spend minimal time in the hotel so that is fine with me, but you should take it into consideration. The rooms seem clean enough, but we did find some bugs crawling in the bathroom area and there were tiny ants close to the fridge. My big gripe was that I only sometimes got hot water in the shower, most of the time I had to accept taking a cold shower.

The location: If that is the part of town you like I guess it is a good location. It is cheap to take Taxi in bangkok so it is easy to get there, but Diamond House is a bit to far away from public transportation for my taste.

Lobby: nice and cozy.
Internet: I always found an available computer when I needed it.
Price: Fair

I am sure you could do a lot worse than this hotel and if you want to stay somewhere cheap and not shady. This is a safe place to stay.

Reviewed December 14, 2010

This house is very clean. The decor is warm colors and very welcoming. The rooms was small, but not the smallest we had in Asia by any means. Good bathroom with seperate shower and western toilet. Paper provided. Beds, rock hard. TV had cable and you can access the internet in the lobby. The also run a small resturaunt from the lobby and the food is decent. Staff was helpful and available 24 hours a day. 3 blocks from Khao San road and able to hail a cab or tuk tuk to main sites easily from the street in front of it. Overall and nice stay in Bangkok.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I reserved a Delux room with one bed for 2 people

Positives:
-Clean
-Comtempory Decor to a good standard
-Roof Garden with some night views
-Good location for Koh San Road (5min walk)
-Very good breakfast.

Negatives:
-Very compact, roughly 10ft by 10ft and a small shower room (no bath). I am 6'2" my partner is 5'9" niether of us could sit on the toilet straight due to a wall in the way
-Customer Service. My partner asked how much breakfast would be without my knowledge. I had previously been told by email there was a special for 100bht. They told her 140bht each. Only when I asked about the descrepancy did they say 'Oh thats for the vouchers' which they sold me there and then. There are other instances of disinterested staff but I wont bore you with the details.

Synopsis
If you are stopping off for 1 or 2 days in Bangkok then this is well priced and well located. My main bug bear is the size of the room. If you spending anymore than 2 days here it would drive you mad since there is nowhere to put anything.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple