“Second stay.... Not as impressed.”
Review of Diamond House

Diamond House
Ranked #296 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Qufu, China
“Second stay.... Not as impressed.”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Diamond House before it was recommended in the Lonely Planet and had a great stay, we had a huge room on the top level and were really impressed.

This time we came back an the rooms seem to have shrunk!! Could it be possible that they have added another room or two to the floors? To be honest, compared to some of the other places we have stayed in Bangkok for that price, it didn't live up to expectations. However the staff were absolutely lovely and the location is brilliant. Rooms are clean, but cramped.

Decent budget option if you don't mind not having a lot of room.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We booked this hotel based on the location (near to Khao San Rd) and of course the price.

This is a lovely boutique, authentic style hotel. The room was a bit cramped, but how long do you spend in there when you're in a city like Bangkok? Staff were great, 24hr reception, good English speaking - Although we weren't told much info about the surrounding area. However they did give us a map upon request.

Room overlooked an estuary of the river wasn't too noisy.

The hotel was only a 10 minute walk through an authentic market to Khao San Rd, close but far enough.

We asked for a taxi to Don Muang airport when we were leaving, when we were informed of the hotels taxi service, which would cost 500THB. We agreed as the room deposit would cover this. When we returned to Bangkok near the end of our trip, we covered a similar distance in a metered taxi, at a much cheaper price. I would personally request/flag down a metered taxi.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Booked this one online after reading Tripadvisor reviews of Bangkok hotels. We checked in and had some help getting our bags up to the 3rd floor and surveyed our small but comfy room. The bathroom/shower with the glazed glass partition was a little different but nothing we couldn't handle, the beds were hard (as per Asia) but the safe, WIFI and cable TV all worked fairly well. We had a few breakfasts in the restaurant/lobby and we slept fine, despite some heavy rain downpours and crazy neighbours. We didn't use the roof hot tub but did lounge around up there one evening and found some cute restaurants nearby to try out. Overall it was a great place to come back to and made you want to go out and experience all that Bangkok has to offer!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Location is amazing, its away from the noise but its only a 2 minute walk to Kaosan road. rooms a fine, bed is hard but arnt all beds hard in Asia??? shower room is very clean. Hotel is very peacefull and the roof top area is a nice added touch. The hotels doesnt have an elevator so if you dont like stairs maybe ask for a low floor. We was on the top floor and we didnt hear a peep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed March 11, 2013

When I first arrived the hotel, just before I entered the lobby for the check-in, a local woman approached me and offered me to have "good time". I politely refused and entered into the hotel.

Few hours after I checked in, I received a phone call (to my room), and was extremely surprise to find out that it was the same woman that approached me in the street before...
She even knew my room number!

I hang up, and immediately contacted the hotel reception. The lady at the reception admitted that she gave the room number to this woman and apologized.
Per my request, they also moved me to another room on another floor.

A day after, someone knocked on my (new) room door. And who was it? Yes - it was the same woman!
The hotel reception gave her my new room number! and yes, even allowed her to go up to my room!

I don't know if this is lack of professionalism, Irresponsible behavior of the hotel employees or maybe something else, but the bottom line is: if your personal security and privacy are important for you, you should not stay at this hotel.

Tal.

P.S
If you do want to know about the hotel itself, I would say that it isn't that close to Khao San road (300-400m walk), and the rooms are extremely small (and I stayed in their top level room).

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Tal1948
Beijing
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed here for two nights. The room was clean and small, the staff was friendly enough. The location was good, 5 minutes to Khao San road bar steet, 20-25 minutes walking to the Grand Palace. But I barely slept on the first night because of the noises, besides the traffic in the street, I could also hear people coming back from late night parties as well as the air conditioners outside our window. I guess that is because we were on the 2nd floor facing the street. Everybody coming back has to go pass our room for the hotel does not have an elevator till the third floor. I guess it would be a good choice for people wanting to hang around the bars, but I would never stay here again.

Room Tip: Never get a room facing the street, never get a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed here our first 3 nights in Bangkok. Arrived around 1 am from the airport and were greeted by a friendly and fast staff. I think they knew how exhausted we were! The room was small but very comfortable, had a mini fridge, tv, and safe, as well as our own private bath. The bed was comfortable, the air worked well, and the room was quiet. The hotel is within walking distance of many of the sights, and also has a restaurant should you not feel like venturing out. Great value and location!

Room Tip: our room was located facing the street, maybe look for a room overlooking the canal for a little mor...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple