“Location,Location,Location...”
Review of Erawan House

Erawan House
Ranked #369 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Researched and researched for a guesthouse with a great location...came up trumps with Erawan House. Located in a reasonably quiet Soi, but an easy and enjoyable 10 min walk to Khao San rd.
With numerous restaurants and street vendors, food at a resonable price is not a problem.
An added bonus is the guesthouse is a 2 minute walk to/from the ferry which will take you to all the major sites and after a hectic day that is a big plus take it from me.
Rooms are very basic, small but very clean. As is the bedding. Staff I found were very helpful and friendly which is what you come to expect from the Thai,s anyway.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank roamingmark1

Reviewed February 7, 2013

We finished our month trip with a four night stay in Bangkok. We stayed at Erawan house which is located in a backpacker area very close to Khao San Road. The location was great as we had no end of bars, restaurants and shops on our doorstep as well as a river boat pier only 100 metres away. We were also able to walk to the National Museum, Grand Palace and Wat Po. Although Erawan House is in the centre of such a lively area our room was quiet and we slept extremely well. The room was quite basic but was clean and had everything that we needed including , most importantly, an excellent air conditioning unit! The staff were very friendly and helpful. We've stayed in better hotels but I would recommend this place as the location is fantastic. PS: the free coffee was most welcome.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed there with the family in early January for couple of nights. Small backpackers hotel in the hearth of the old town near everything a tourist needs. We are like most people who do not stay in the rooms when they visit Bangkok, so location was everything that mattered, but we also liked the cleanliness of the place and the overall safety of the area. The major tourist attractions are minutes away and the water bus is a good way to move around. The WiFi did not work in the room, which was a bummer, but they have a very nice area in each floor to sit down and go online. Plenty of places to eat around at any time during the day/night. Khaosan road is also very close and good for some shopping/people watching/eating/drinking/etc. Would definitely consider staying there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank D A
Reviewed December 23, 2012

The main appeal of Erawan House for us was the location. It is walking distance to some great markets including Koh San Road, also very close to the river where you can get super cheap transport to some of the local wats and really see a lot of Bangkok. Taxi drivers found it quite difficult to find as it is down an alleyway, but once you are familiar with the area yourself we found that the best way to arrange transport was to get dropped by Koh San Road or one of the other landmarks that are close by. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and the aircon in each room was fantastic. Overall Erawan House exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Recommended for backpackers.
The room is good and clean..
The price is cheap.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. Their english is quiet good/
The location is strategic, near khaosan road.
In front of the hostel there is restaurant with a good taste of cuisine.
Don't worry if you run out your bath money, there's an ATM machine and money changer in the hotel.
You should paid the hotel by cash, since the hotel doesn't have edc machine for pay using cards.

Room Tip: Since Bangkok is very hot, I suggest to choose the room with Air Conditioner.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Retnicin
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Tripadvisor rarely lets me down, but on this occasion it did! I simply can not understand the numerous positive reviews of this place as they don't at all reflect my experience of it. Luckily I only booked for one night and was able to escape elsewhere the following day. Admittedly, the staff are friendly and helpful and speak good English, and there is good (free) wifi access - but that's really where the positives stop!
I initially looked at a single room (600 thb per night). It was exceptionally grotty, had the smallest 'bathroom' I've ever seen and a shower that was positioned in an alcove into which no human could fit. I asked if they had anything better, and subsequently 'upgraded' to a double room (650 thb). Whilst there was minimally more space, the room was just disgusting. Sheets worn and stained, one horrible threadbare stained towel, and walls covered in dirty marks. I don't doubt that the sheets & towel had been laundered but they looked disgusting. Sometimes things just need to be replaced!! Was the room functional? Yes! and there was a small TV - however, there are WAY nicer places in Khao San around this price level. I also didn't like the way I was made to collect my aircon remote & TV remote from the reception and hand them in when I checked out. It gives the impression that you might steal them! Not very welcoming. Also, I'd read they have security lockers. Normally I don't bother with them, but I was travelling to Burma (cash-only country) and therefore had a LOT of money with me that I needed to keep safe. The 'safety boxes' are just a row of wooden cubby holes in the foyer that you attach your own padlock to. At the very least they should be behind the reception desk. There's nothing to stop anyone fiddling with them. Even with the best lock in the world, the actual metal loops you secured the lock to were rickety and loose and could have been ripped off with very little effort. Not good.
If this place were half-price it might be OK for a backpacker to lay their head. At the price charged I couldn't recommend it to anyone. It's one of the worst rooms I've ever stayed in (and I've stayed in a LOT of horrible budget places across the world). The next day I moved (and paid less!) to stay in a beautiful, modern, new room with all sorts of unexpected amenities (hairdrier, cotton buds etc. etc.)
The room I stayed in at Erawan didnt look anything like the pictures on here, so perhaps there are better rooms somewhere else in the hotel...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on our arrival to Thailand because it was close to Khao San rd but not too close. Staff was super nice and answered all our questions about the area and Thailand in general. It is on a small soi so was hard for put tuk tuk driver to find but that turned out to be one of the best parts: less cars and exhaust and quiet at night. Near good street food and a 7-11 for anything you might need. Rooms were small but we didn't spending time there so it was ok. AC worked well

• Stayed: November 2012