“Beautiful hotel with friendly staff”

Grand Watergate Hotel
Ranked #707 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Zanzibar Island, Tanzania
“Beautiful hotel with friendly staff”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights with my friends in room 307 and 309 interconnecting room all rooms wth two beds.
Comfort bed and good water pressure with hot water and cold. We get two bottles of water compliment. Room with settelite tv and mini bar and wireless networks available but you have to pay. Iwll come back again and recommend to my friends and family. We book by booking.com but we pay at hotel direct .breakfast also is good. And receptionist wahda was very friendly and helpful

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Grandwatergate_Hotel, Manager at Grand Watergate Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Rahim_Amigo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit. We are glad you had the greatest time here with us and appreciate your remarks about our accommodations, facilities and friendly staff.

We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future!

Best Regards,

Supakorn Kaewmalee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kandy, Sri Lanka
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We spent 2 days at Grand Watergate Hotel at Pratunam and we got the good deal it seems!

Hotel is some what away from the main road but walking distance from Indra Shopping mall, Pratunam market and few other restaurants. Street food is available in flavours that please u around the hotel!

Hotel staff is OK!!! Not very friendly may be 'cos of the language barrier. May be a smile or two would have been good! Room is spacious...a classic 3 star hotel room...bed is not all that comfy but can't complaint about that much..rooms is clean and linen is in good condition! A/C was bit noisy!

And the hotel staff should look into maintaining 'tea making facility' in the room. "cos every morning I had to run to the restaurant for hot water and sachets of sugar, tea and creamer!!!!

They had a decent breakfast even-though it is limited to few dishes. but quite palatable! Sleep quality is pretty good!

All in all a reasonable 3 star hotel!

Room Tip: 4th floor is better...away from the city!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We pre-booked and paid for this hotel well in advance. However when we arrived they tried to put us in a twin standard room. I went down and complained, saying we booked a double. They insisted they were full and could "I wait until the morning". They said we could move to a Deluxe Double that night but pay another 300 baht! At this point I said this was unacceptable and it would be good service to give us the room without paying extra. After calling her boss, the receptionist agreed but practically threw the room key at me and walked off in a strop!

The new room ironically was next door - and EXACTLY the same, except it had a double bed. Well no not a double bed.. 2 singles pushed together with a double sheet over the top!! I couldn't believe the cheek of it, but didn't have the energy to argue anymore. The TV didn't work, and they never got it fixed, even after continuously asking them. The mattress's were rock hard and the pillows were like stones, I had to have them changed as I had terrible neck ache from the first night after trying to sleep on it. Again, I had to ask 2 different times to 3 different people. Their English is so poor I had to go get the pillow to show them! They also have a nasty habit of laughing at you when they don't understand, and giggling and chatting in Thai about you when you're stood right there!

The air con in the room is deafening as the entire unit is inside and it was almost worth not having it on.

Worst of all besides the awful facilities, was as previously mentioned the awful staff. We asked one morning if they could call us a taxi - it was Songkran and we didn't want to get wet on our way to a fancy meal. They said they couldn't. Are they completely incompetent?? I believe so.

However the location was good near the malls and Skytrain. The place is uncomfortable and overpriced - depends how desperate you are for the location as to whether you can deal with staying here.

Room Tip: Don't pay extra for Deluxe - the rooms are EXACTLY THE SAME!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank BGcat
Dear BGcat,

Thank you for your choosing to stay at Grand Watergate Hotel during your trip in Bangkok, Thailand. And so sorry to late respond in your comment.

First of all I would like to say thank you for taking time to post your comment. We always appreciate all the feedback we receive so that we may review our performance. We are sorry about the issue that you mention with our staff. We assure you that the problem is being resolved and we will prevent the same from happening again.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the unsatisfactory service.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Grand Watergate Hotel at anytime in the future!

Best Regards,

Supakorn Kaewmalee

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Selangor
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I was looking for better hotel option after checking in Richly Villa and we chanced upon Metz and Grand Watergate on the same road. Metz is a good hotel but they don't provide extra bed for extra person in a room - 1900baht because of space constraint. I don't want to feel suffocated in a hotel room for another 3 days so I looked at what Grand Watergate has to offer. I felt relieved they have Mini Suite with extra bed - 2400baht and took it. The receptionists were ok only the eldest lady looks fierce and I rarely saw her smile. But she did smile at me twice; maybe it depends on how you approach her. The room was clean and spacious. It came with basic breakfast which my friend said was ok. And, no kettle inside the room, you need to come down to the lobby to get hot water from there.

The location is just nice, only a three short turns to Pratunam centre, it's safe to walk at night although a bit dark. If you take TukTuk to Platinum Mall, it might cost you around 30-50baht. Two years back there was still a 10-20baht tuktuk drive around that area but not today. I took a taxi to BTS Ratchatewi station and been charged 150baht.

On the first night, I heard noises from upstairs and after a couple of hours, I called the reception to check on it. It was loud like someone running, feet stomping and rearranging furniture. They promised to look at it but it became worse, talking about INCONSIDERATE neighbors! What were they doing? Drinking & partying? Luckily it dies down after midnight but sleeping still a problem to me because of the noisy aircon. Sometimes it's quiet, sometimes it jerks me up. And my friends in other room experienced the same. And we can even hear the slamming of doors, it appears the hotel has thin wall. Other than that problems, the stay was ok, considering the spacious room, comfy bed and most important, CLEAN.

Free WiFi - NO!! You have to pay and it's too expensive, like 250baht for a day. It's funny to think in other countries where free wifi is almost everywhere, there are still many hotels in bkk charged their customers for it.

Room Tip: Try mini suite - 1900baht for bigger space but extra person will be charged 500baht, with or without...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NJQistina
Addu City, Maldives
Reviewed December 11, 2012

The Grand Watergate Hotel, Bangkok is centrally located in the Partunam market and shopping area. It is surrounded by a bustling market, and is about 15 minutes walk from the Central World Shopping Plaza, Siam Square and the Mahboonkrong (MBK) Shopping Centre. The Grand Watergate Hotel has spacious, comfortable rooms and an impressive area, restaurant.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank assab
seychelles islands
Reviewed October 20, 2012

on my last day in bangkok,my hotel(metz) was fully booked and i coudn,t keep my room till late evening,so i went opposite to grand watergate to check rates and availabilty one day before.
the guy at reception told me it was okay .they had rooms available at 1300bath.i told him i needed the room only from 11am till 11pm, and he said no probs.
the next day at 11am i walked in and the two women at reception told me there are no rooms at 1300bath,but only at 1600bath!!even when i told them i had come the day before to chk ,thy insisted no rooms..i had no choice as had a child n couldnt go around looking for day room.
we paid for the room and all the time the two ladies were speaking in their language and it was as if we were not even standing there!!as we were moving towards the lift,the older lady shouted at us..you check out tonight at eleven!!I WAS SO MAD!!We had after all paid a full price for a day,and i could check out the next morning if i wanted to..and i told her so!!it was very rude and unprofessional of her..
The room was spacious but nothing special..was ok.we ordered room service and the food was quite tasty but very small serving!!

other than rude reception staff,id say it was an ok hotel but i wouldn,t stay thre again..if metz just opposite is available id go thre anytime without a thought!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank shou_9
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

This is a very good and well priced hotel. The rooms were clean and very spacious. The price included breakfast, which is very basic but tasted quite good. It is a small hotel and the staff speak little or no English. So do not expect western hospitality. It is suited about two blocks from the centre of Bangkok, a short walk to Platinium Shopping Square. It is a hotel not easy to find as it is in a side street but once your there it is easy to get back to. The photos provided by some of the posters are indicative of the quality of the rooms. 8/10

• Stayed December 2011