“Needs renovating Seriously but location OK to change for the city train”
Review of Florida Hotel

Florida Hotel
Ranked #768 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Location is OK if you want to be near the 'Sky-train station but I feel customers are being fleeced just because of that.
There is nothing else worth saying.
Internet is charged from 50 baht an hour in the lobby only (no free wi fi here!!!)

Interior a grubby brown and same inside the rooms. Bathroom is simply so old and run-down.
Be aware though that if you intend to use the Skytrain then large luggage will be a problem to carry on and at peak periods the local workers need the stadning space. And then there is security so bags will have to be checked.

Room Tip: I guess you will have to book the most expensive room in order to get normal comforts.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Vegetarian4ever

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stepping into the Florida Hotel feels like going back to the 1970s ! Even the receptionist is still using a traditional type-writer - must be the only one still in use in Bangkok !

I believe the Florida Hotel was around when American troops stayed there on R&R breaks during the Vietnam War - and as far as the standard rooms are concerned, little seems to have changed since then. The clientele at the Florida seems to be mainly Thai business people (ie sales rep types).

Despite this, however, at 1100 Baht per night for a Standard Room (including a reasonable American breakfast of eggs / ham etc), I think this hotel is quite good value. There is also a swimming pool and the staff at reception are very friendly and helpful. The standard room furnishings, however, are very basic and quite dated (ie "old."). The so called "hot shower" distributed only lukewarm water when I was there, but this I found adequate after suffering the heat and humidity of Bangkok. If you want a "hot" shower though, this may not be sufficient. I found the bed comfortable and sheets clean. Rooms are cleaned daily.

As has already mentioned extensively here, the location of the hotel is by far its main asset, being situated literally right next door to the Phaya Thai BTS and Airport Link stations. It is also convenient for the Morcit2 Northern Bus Terminal, which should cost about 100 Baht fare using a BTS / Meter Taxi combo. Also, from the Florida you can walk to the Siam Centre in 20 minutes (or a couple of stops on the BTS) and the Panthip Plaza IT mall is about a 15 minute walk from here.

The rooms are OK for a couple of nights stop-over, but I would not recommend a longer term stay at the Florida. For the price and location, however, I believe the Florida Hotel represents a good value place to stay in this area of Bangkok.

Keith

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear (away from the street) maybe quiter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank KEITH H
Reviewed December 10, 2011

I was dumb enough to book my wife into this hotel as it was close to the hospital where her extremely sick mother is being treated for cancer. At the present time the hotel is like a building site. It should be closed while it is being renovated instead of expecting guests to put up with the mess and the disturbance. My wife's room was disgustingly filthy and it smelled like a pigsty. I understand that the building is 5 stories high - my wife was put on the third floor and yet the elevator is not working and she had to climb up and down repeatedly. And the reaction of the staff there was outrageous. When she told the reception that she planned to check out early they wanted her to pay an extra day even though it was in the morning. The hotel was booked through Agoda who need to de-list this hotel with immediate effect. Anyone who chooses to stay at this hotel at the present time is extremely foolish and will be very disappointed. This place is not worth staying at at any price. I will report further on what action Agoda takes against this hotel. I am hoping that Agoda acts responsibly to kick this hotel off their website and I will let you know shortly if this is the case. Again - DO NOT EVEN THINK OF STAYING AT THIS HOTEL at the present time. Oh and by the way, the internet has a fee for a non-usable system.

Room Tip: Don't touch any room with a barge pole. Since the elevator is non-functioning you will have to...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank PeterPakChong
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Booked 2 nights in advance, spent only 1. Smell was so bad in the room u didnt really want to be there. We asked to change the room, but the other room was as bad and smelled the same. When I turned AC on only dust was blown to my face. Furniture was from the 70's, blankets really old too. There were holes in sheets and towels etc... Worst hotel experience ever.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank samvuor
Reviewed September 13, 2011

The only good thing about this hotel is the location. Standing just right next to the Phayathai station, it's a nice location since Airport Express Line / City Line will stop in this station. With Airport Express Line, you need only 17 minutes from the airport to the Phayathai station, where from there, you will be connected to the BTS network in BKK.

I happened to have meetings in this hotel, and the facility in the meeting venue (7th floor) was quite nice. Perhaps that's why the organizer also booked us rooms in this hotel. The room is very deteriorating; uncomfortable bed, bad blanket, dirty curtains, questionable toilet.

Compared to the price, this is not suitable. I happen to stay in several hostels with same price, and their service were much better. I got a room with connecting door (locked) to other guests. When I arrived, the next room was very busy on their romancing activities, so that the screams were very loud and very audible from my room. The room is also facing a busy street where high intensity of noises can be heard from the room.

Simply saying, I won't be back to stay here again and won't recommend to any one about the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank sundulgan
Reviewed September 11, 2011

On a recent trip to Thailand I wanted to stay in the Florida Hotel after staying with some Thai friends for a few days. My hosts called the hotel to in advance and were quoted a price of 900 baht (about 30 USD). When I arrived to check in they told me the price was 1200 baht. I tried to explain about my friend calling ahead and getting a different price, but the clerk just sort of quietly dissembled and insisted that the price was 1200. There seemed to be kind of a language issue, so I called up my Thai friend who had called first to come help me sort the situation out. When he arrived and explained about calling and asked what happened, they told him point blank that 900 baht is the price for Thai people 1200 baht is the price for foreigners. Although I lost interest in staying there as a matter of principle after that, my friend continued to try and politely convince the clerk to give me the lower price, but then the clerk just suddenly said they were full and walked away.

If you have a problem with the idea of businesses charging different prices to people based on race or nationality, I recommend you don't stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank CoveredWithBees
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I decided to book the Florida for an overnight transit in Bangkok because it is near the new airport express train and it has a pool. I was surprised just how close to the train it is, literally a few doors away from Phaya Thai station - they must be very pleased about this.

I booked a "New Standard" room - I'm not entirely sure that's what I was given, it wasn't very new. It smelt a bit musty until the powerful air-conditioning got going, then it was fine. The bathroom was clean and functional, and there was no "bad drain" smell as is often the case with older hotels. I decided to ask for a late check-out so I could go directly to the station - it cost me 650THB for 3 hours, but they did make up the room again.

The pool was clean and inviting, and I was very glad of it in the sticky Bangkok heat.

Wi-fi was available for 50THB/hr, it worked well in the lobby but only sometimes in the room (but my netbook often won't connect at all, so I was happy).

Breakfast was not included, and I didn't try the hotel's offering.

There are some great hotels near the airport, but only the most expensive ones have a pool. Now that the airport is only 15-20 minutes away by train, this is an option I would consider again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo