“it worked well for me”

FuramaXclusive Sukhumvit
Ranked #294 of 890 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I had an appointment scheduled at Bumrungrad Hospital and stayed three nights at the FuramaXclusive Sukhumvit. I was a little concerned because of some of the comments on TA, but I wanted easy access to the hospital and the hotel provides such access. I did not experience the kinds of problems mentioned by others.

I arrived a little after midnight and my check-in went smoothly. I had a deluxe king room on the sixth floor and found a large and clean room. Some may say that it showed a little age. Sometimes I would hear noise from the street, but I had no neighbor problems. My AC worked fine and I saw no insects during my stay. My room had a microwave, large refrigerator, dishes (plates, bowls, glasses, and utensils), iron and board, safe, hair dryer, kettle, complimentary two bottles of water per day, coffee and tea. There was even a 136 kg scale for weighing myself and/or my luggage. There was a very small balcony that was not meant for sitting. A person looking for western TV would not find the TV channel selection very good; a consideration if you are going to have a long recovery period after a procedure at Bumrungrad. My room was properly serviced daily and the usual complimentary toiletries were provided. The mattress and pillows were very Asian firm, and that is why I gave a lower score for sleep quality. As I have found in many hotels in Asia the bathroom floor did get a little wet when I showered.

The staff was always helpful and pleasant. When I checked out they offered a metered taxi or a flat fee taxi for 500 TB to the airport. I have previously done the negotiation thing (e.g. who pays the tolls) with “metered” taxis and have decided life is too short to worry about small change and now just go with the flat rate.

I did not eat any meals at the hotel. If you don’t want to walk far for food and/or coffee, the hospital has a Starbucks on the Sky Lobby floor of the international clinic and on the first floor of the main hospital. Also, there are some decent food establishments on the second floor of the main hospital, and the establishments in the international clinic are accessed from the Sky Lobby floor. I had Starbucks coffee and my breakfast at the establishments accessed via the Sky Lobby.

I also had two very good 1.5 hour foot massages at Boonsita Massage. Exit the hotel, make a right, cross the street and then walk towards Sukhumvit Road. But, before Sukhumvit on the left will be Boonsita Massage. It’s a little secluded so look for a large tree. They advertise classical Chinese style foot massage (not stick style). I noticed that Bumrungrad employees frequent this establishment.

If I have another appointment at Bumrungrad I will not hesitate to again stay at the FuramaXclusive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed June 15, 2013

3800bht per a night to2400bht becuse of the tour stand lady ,no balcony sitting as we are in a jail they have a problem with there neighbors about the balcony it is the first time in my life I hearted this kind of excuse , no swimming pool what I do with the jacuzzi , very small left and not that good staff , and not good breakfast ,the a/c was hot and after many requests they change the room , I have to stay there because my friend he want to stay there . I will never come back to this hotel in my live or come back in this bad part of Bangkok

Room Tip: please if you are not in need of the hospital don't go to this hotel
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Imdad_H_Awan
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Originally I booked 4 nights but after 3 I had had enough, I had to get out. When I first arrived I pulled back the sheets to see stains on the sheets and the pillows had a very strong semen smell which confirmed my suspicion that the bed had not been changed from the last person who used it. In addition, each day more and more long black hairs kept appearing after each room clean, thus I can only assume the cleaners are either malting or brushing their hair in peoples rooms. Television reception was so bad that the only English language channel I could watch was RT from Moscow.
The room I had on level 7 had no direct sunlight, rather it looked directly out onto a slum like building.
Bed was hard as a rock and was very uncomfortable.
I cannot understand how people rate this hotel as being good, it was just so bad! even getting to the front door was a 2 level hike up steep stairs.
Personally... look elsewhere!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank wilrc1
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We stayed there for about 7 days as my father had to go to Bumrungrad, so I feel comfortable talking about our good experience at the hotel.

Firstly we received a great deal from Agoda, so as such, we were prepared to overlook some shortcomings.

Location - Literally 2 minute walk from the hospital. I cannot stress just how important this is if you need to go to the hospital everyday and maybe many times a day. Soi 4, Soi 5, trust me everything is far away compared to this location. In addition, there are at least 7-11s down the road, there is a starbucks and other eateries at the hospital and if you walk down to sukhumvit (about 8 minute walk), well you don't need to worry about food. The skytrain is about a 15 minute walk.

Food - we only had the daily included breakfast, and it was sufficient. To be fair, its hard to expect much more than this for the rate that we got. As this hotel caters a lot to Arabs, bacon, pork sausages etc are not in the breakfast buffet but you get to order from a little menu. Again, breakfast is very rudimentary but gets the job done.

Gym/Pool - there is a small gym which no one seemed to use. However, the pool is really tiny and not very appealing. These are there but cannot be seriously considered to be an advantage.

Service - excellent. Front desk was very efficient. Wifi was good, never had to complain. The doorman helped to get us metered taxis (not an easy job). The cleaners were in way too much of a rush and did a very basic job however.

Room - rooms are huge to say the least for the price you are paying. There is a very useful kitchen nook with microwave and sink plus a fridge which is about 3 times the size of the usual hotel minibar. I can see this being very important for people planning a long stay and the hotel should be commended for these facilities as well as for providing an ironing board, lan cable, etc.

Overall, we were really happy with Furama and can fully recommend it for people going to Bumrungrad. Keep expectations in check and you will realize this really is a great value hotel.

Tip: the famous la buca restaurant is just minutes away. It doesn't look like much but the food is superb and the experience is absolutely great. Very expensive, but definitely worth a visit.

Room Tip: We had 4th floor rooms and they were fine.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank arvidc
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Level six a non smoking level was ok, only having ants, but lower smoking floors have cockroaches and ants. The smoking room has dirty balconies enclose in wire mesh, it's a horrible feeling staying on the lower floors.
I wouldn't stay here again. The staff where friendly to me, but its the first time a cleaner has asked me for a tip, yet the job carried out for cleaning the room was incomplete. Nice fridge, on level 6 but far better places around. From a hygiene point of view I wouldn't stay again though close to Bumrungrad hospital.
Check your room for the number of bottles of water, nuts etc.
I booked online and the rooms where cheap, but I regretted staying here.
I brought cereal and yogurt and coffee and had breakfast in the room for breakfast was expensive.
Taxis won't put metre on a bit of a walk from the sky train especially unpleasant a walk in the rain.

Room Tip: Go for level six , at least the room is clean and there were no cockroaches only ants Don't tak...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel is situated in an arab area and is flocked by arab tourists. The hotel is decent. My only complaint was the wifi which was unreliable and slow.
The hotel is located close to chopping centers and a skytrain station. however, the hotel is also located quite close to the red light districts of bangkok. but thatneednt affect anyone who isnt venturing in to other bylanes.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank imjoseph
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Good hotel to stay, but very hard to get a cab there, and all the cab will not charge by meter, which i also understand that, because a 5km journey will take you 1 hour to reach. Very hot weather when i was there, 38C, and the best part is, the aircond in the cab was not cold at all, i was still sweating even the air cond have turn to full power! Other thing is, there was a lot of ants in the room, the ants was all around the table and bed. The service of the hotel is very nice, especially the staff at the reception and concierge.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family