“Lovely hotel but need upgrade”

Siam Society Hotel & Resort Bangkok
Siam Society Hotel & Resort Bangkok
Ranked #352 of 615 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Bergen, Norway
“Lovely hotel but need upgrade”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was my third time at Siam society resort. I always stay in siam suite. Last time was in 2008 before now 2013. The room was the same, but you can easly see that thing getting tired. Pool, Jacuzzi, steamshower, , in general everything. But the staff is always polite and sweet. I hope you upgrade this hotel, because i will come back again if you do..

Thank you for this year!

Best regards Christin with family

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Königswalde
Reviewed April 30, 2013

My boyfriend surprised me with this awesome hotel. Once the door is open you just say WOW! We stayed in the room where you sleep in a longtail boat in a real ditch going through your room. It was totally romantic, all the different lightings and drawings on the walls were a great highlight to us. As if this would not be fantastic enough, we had an indoor jacuzzi and a super nice bathroom. The whole room was spacious and beautifully designed. Although the hotel complex is well-kept you would never expect such fancy rooms there. I've never seen anything like this before! Great idea!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights (in a bungalow), then 2 nights (in an upstairs room) later, because it was close to where we needed to be. They are right, the place is scruffy in the rooms, inside the hotel area, the outside ones were better, but they had three or four 2 inch steps through out the room, which would have been difficult for some people (for example if you have to get up in the night). The lobby was nice as was the breakfast room, but our room upstairs had part of the paint falling off the ceiling. Every time we wanted to take a shower, we had to ask them to turn on the hot water. Seems they turned it off when there was no one in the room. Most often the staff was friendly, but when we asked to have the hot water turned on, they brought us a thermos of hot water for tea. There were a ton of mosquitoes because of the standing water and geckos that climbed the restaurant windows. The free internet was only good until midnight and then they turned off your access code, so every morning we had to go get another code, which was just annoying. Why not wait until you check out.
The air conditioner fan was very loud and ran all the time, but it did cool the room. Cold eggs and lunch meat ham or hot dogs for sausage were the breakfast fare along with salad fixings.
It is hard to get to, and without our Thai friend along, I doubt the taxi drivers could have found it and often did drive by the entrance because it was hard to see.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

London
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is my first time staying in a traditional "Thai-style" hotel, where the rooms are like small chalets, instead of an impersonal high-rise business hotel, so I don't have much to compare this to.

The staff are helpful and welcoming, and the main foyer is traditional, well-kept and bright. I didn't venture much outside the lobby except to the breakfast room. From the voucher given to me at reception, which mentioned American / Continental / Thai breakfasts, I expected a little more choice than what was on offer. If you didn't fancy Thai food, then the American / Continental remainder consisted of two cereals, toast and fried eggs. Coffee and tea were drinkable.

The chalet-style rooms are all ground-level, and accessible from outside. There is keycard entry, yet you still need to put down a 1000BHT (GBP20) deposit on a credit card when checking in, which I thought was a bit unecessary. They do actually charge it, then refund it, which I hope will happen in the next few days. The room itself is like a darker, more tired version of the pictures you see on the website. Dark wood furniture, all solid and of good quality, but only contributing to how dark the room is in general, despite there being plenty of spotlights.

There is a TV with local channels, signal quality quite poor. The back of the room has a separate tiled area with a large spa bath. This was a nice feature although the water comes out of the taps so slowly that it took about 30 mins to fill it deep enough to use the spa jets. Then there is a separate WC and shower. Shower suffers from intermittent water pressure. I was only staying two nights, seeing a local customer, so it didn't bother me much, but if I had been exploring the city all day in the heat, I think I'd want a better shower.

Room was a bit dirty in places, as though it had a regular clean of the essential areas but without much attention to obvious cobwebs in corners, and build up of dust. All the bathroom pieces were clean though.

There is quite noisy air conditioning, which you'll almost definitely need to have on all night because the windows don't really seal - they just have hand-pulled slats to keep the light out, and a gauze. No glass.

If you are on a budget then this place would be acceptable, but it isn't really central so unless your reason for visiting is somewhere in that area, I would look elsewhere for the same money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank YourLocalGP
Escondido
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here because it was close to my meeting site. Rooms were like little bungalows. Fair sized with nice size bathrooms. Bathrooms were dimly lit but OK for a guy. But I know my wife would've liked more light if she were along on this trip. Breakfast was included but it was pretty poor, really not worth the bother. Cold eggs and toast. But it was relatively inexpensive. The major downside was the fact that it seems taxi drivers to not know how to find it. My taxi from the airport called the hotel twice and we still got lost and spent an extra 20 minutes trying to find. I was told by my business contact there that this was because the hotel was in a relatively new part of town.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank cshaw2049
Somerset
Reviewed October 5, 2011

I booked this hotel because it was close to where my friends live, however on arrival it was further away than we were led to believe and not an easy hotel to find or to get to.
I had to phone the hotel on my mobile, and then gave it to my taxi driver and the staff were very helpful at guiding him in.

The main building is very "Thai Style" and looks nice, the staff were friendly and I was greeted nicely. I did not have a printed copy of my booking reservation, A lot of hotels get shirty over this but to the staff here it just wasn't a problem.

The main reception area is pleasent and comfortable, and I enjoyed having a drink whilst reading the free daily paper, there are also plenty of magazines to read and the atmosphere was very relaxing.

After check in, I was taken to my room outside the main building, into a challet style bungalow. The room was rather dark due to the vast ammount of teak wood and green walls, but the bathroom was large and clean with a nice shower cubicle as well as a seperate bath.
As in most Thai hotels, the bed was as hard as the floor and I don't like hard beds, so they loose points here straight away (this is a very personal area).

It was clean and I was only staying two nights.

Sadly I had a very bad night, as the air con sounded like a 747 going off and I could not get the room cool enough.

All was not lost, as I mentioned this to the reception who immedietly moved me into the main building and I was given a VIP suite. The staff could not have been more helpful and well done to them and their trainers.

Next came breakfast, Sorry, this was a big let down for a person who enjoys breakfast. No immagination here at all, The fried eggs had been put in a baine marie and looked cold and ndercooked, I thus ordered scrambled eggs. The ham ws sat in warm water. (why do they do that, it's ham for goodness sake) Like many Thai hotels you just can't get a decent cup of tea, again why do they put it in a coffee pot and let it stew? Sorry low score for a dull looking and unappetising breakfast.

The VIP suite ws lovely and a lot brighter, a great bathroom with a huge jacuzi bath, seperate shower cubicle and clean, although the towels were on the thin side of worn out.
Sad to say that despite the impressive four poster bed, the matteress was rock solid.
A decent air con unit so I did sleep but woke with a back ache.

All in all for the price I paid, and the area I wanted to be in, this hotel is nice if you like hard beds and don't do breakfast in a big way. It is worth considering.

However if you want to be in Bangkok then this hotel is not an easy place to get to. On arrival I was given a set of directions and a map in both Thai and English. I was advised to give it to the taxi driver when I came back. I had huge problems with the driver, a complete neandethal, who went every which way but the right one, Not an easy place to find.

I must now tell all readrs that directly opposit the main enterance to this hotel is a huge sea food restaurant. It is fantastic, the food is wonderful (if you like sea food) and the best Tom Yum Kung I have ever had in Thailand and after 4 years I think I am qualified to say that. The manu is vast and very reasonable in price, also very popular with Thai society. Great service and very slick, but the food is wonderful.
The name of this place is something like Som pong, and you just can't miss it leave the hotel via the main enterance and cross the road into the car park and you are there. Bon appiteet!

Room Tip: Go for the main building
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Birmingham, UK
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We stayed here for one night as a treat on our way up to Don Mueng Airport. We booked a Juniour Suite room due to it having its own pool and jacuzzi. First thing to note here is that on the website its kind of deceiving - the Junior Suite Room is NOT necessarily the room with the boat as the bed. There is only one of these. All other Junior Suites are the same but with normal beds. It was a little disappointing to not have the novelty boat bed but the room is exactly the same and the private pool and jacuzzi made up for it.

Overall, the staff are fantastic even with limited english and the breakfast was good. We ordered some late night food and the lady seemed very confused that we were orderingof the night menu (11pm-6am) even though it was 12:30am. But this is not a complaint just a strange thing that happened, the food was lovely when it arrived.

There is not much around this hotel and I wouldnt recommend it for sight seeing. This hotel is to lock yourself in the room and enjoy the facilities for a day or 2, then move on. For this is is fantastic value for money and a wonderful way to spent a few days living like a celeb!

Room Tip: If you want the themed rooms - SPECIFICALLY ASK for them when you book as there is one of each. Juni...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple