Aurum The River Place
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
All reviewsflower marketwat pogrand palacebreakfast is servedboutique hotelthai breakfastreclining buddhabus boatrestaurant suggestionsbangkok attractionsprivate pierquiet at nightrobes and slipperswithin walking distancethe location is perfectsmall hotelnice breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Great location, excellent service.

The rooms are reasonable in size. They are spotless, service is prompt.
We paid a little over 106$. They offered a little discount for cash payments.
Breakfast was included and is at a cafe next door. Views of the river and all.

We have a 4 year old and the location worked great.
Wat Po and the grand palace are a short walk, tuk-tuk away. The boat pier is close by for trips to Wat Arun and other places.

Restaurant choices were very limited in the evenings, there is the "deck" nearby that another reviewer mentioned..but it isnt really a place to go with a 4 year old. (Its nice and romantic and has excellent views and really nothing for a 4 year old :) ).

The first few days that we were here we got the impression that Bangkok really was a sleepy town. A trip to the city proper changed that impression.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank shayonie
Reviewed December 25, 2007

We were supriced to find such a new and wonderful hotel in this price category. The buildning and interior seems to have been inspired by a combination of a charming London or Paris Hotel, and the Oriental in Bangkok. Familyrun with nice and helpfull staff. Nice, homely lobby. Wonderful rooms. Very clean. Central location, and next to the river. Spend some time in the old warehous atmosphare in the nice and relax neigbourhood. Coffe cafe just outside the hotel by the river. Try also the nice warehouse cafe Rub Arun (?) about five minutes walk up north the mainstreet outside the hotel, just uposite one entrance to the Wat Pho with the huge reclining Budda. Be aware of doing prepayments to "tailors" and "tourist offices". It sould not be nessesary in many or even most cases.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Middleagetravler
Reviewed December 1, 2007

Aurum is THE place to stay if you are in Bangkok to experience the amazing temples. This is not the place for people who are visiting Bangkok for the shopping or nightlife. Aurum, however, enjoys an enviable location on the river in the midst of the Grand Palace and Wat Po. I really didn't see any other hotels in this area except for one very small guesthouse.

For a reasonable rate, Aurum has chic little rooms that seem newly built and are quite spotless. There are many amenities in the room one would expect from a more expensive hotel, such as robes, slippers, and a mini-bar. The staff is very eager to help and all except for one girl spoke English well. We stayed in a "Side River View" room, which didn't really have a view to speak of, but had a nice big bed. Our room windows faced a side alley and it was silent at night.

Although the area around the hotel practically shuts down after dark, it is a quick tuk tuk or taxi ride to Khao San Road, where you will get all the nightlife you can handle. One excellent restaurant only a block away from the hotel is called The Deck, and has good food plus a beautiful view across the river to Wat Arun. Really special at night.

My only complaints about the hotel would be a lack of pool, and that the water in the shower would not stay hot for more than a few seconds. The water temperature was not fixed after we complained to the management, and I think it is just a quirk of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Yank-In-Sing
Reviewed November 3, 2007

This is truely a secret find in an excellent location on the river, away from the high-rise hotels and shopping malls and close to the major temples, the Grand Palace and Ta Tien river taxi stop. It's unusual to find a boutique hotel like this in Bangkok, let alone in this area which has all the advanrages of being close to the river without the noise and congestion.

The rooms are small but tastefully furnished with all the mod-cons, and the bathrooms are spotless. The owner is ofen around, and everyone takes special care of the guests. Service is excellent. Breakfast is served in a garden or if it's raining, in the lobby which is like a living room. I'd stay here again the next time I'm in Bangkok.

Stayed: October 2007
4  Thank pwiser
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Aurum, The River Place, Bangkok, Thailand gets my vote for one of the best places to stay anywhere. Aurum is in Old Bangkok on the Chaopraya River with a private dock. The hotel is new, immaculate throughout. Some rooms have a view, some don't. Prices reflect room size, view and length of stay.

Aurum has only 12 rooms on 4 floors with an elevator (important if, like me, you have a bad knee). The lobby on the ground level is very comfortable with white marble? floors, comfy stylish furnishings, many places to sit. I would classify it as a "Boutique" hotel.

Rooms have dark hardwood floors and furnishings and are tastefully decorated. Some rooms have tub and shower, some only shower, so ask if that is important to you. Rooms have mini-bar, coffee/tea, snacks,
safe, closet with hanging storage and shelves. Desk with drawers, flat panel TV, telephone, and of course, individually controlled AC.

The bath is all white with granite counter and matching decorative tile insets. Rainwater showers. Electrical plugs in handy places for laptop and chargers. Toiletries and soft towels and linens. Windows actually open!

An American breakfast was included with my room (optional). There is no restaurant in the hotel but several are nearby and a coffee shop is just in front of the hotel.

Oh.. free wireless Internet access. Works even on the top floor and is fast and reliable. I set up my laptop in front of the corner window (top floor) so I could watch the boat traffic while I worked. There are so many boats and such variety! This room has good lighting, tough to find in any hotel.

I came to Bangkok for some elective surgery at Bumrungrad International Hospital. I stayed at Aurum 9 nights (in 2 segments before and after surgery). The staff at Aurum took very good care of me and I highly recommend this hotel for anyone in a similar situation, or for a tourist interested in seeing the sights.

It is quiet, clean and small enough that one tourist isn't lost in the crowd. I was here for some time and preferred to have a Thai breakfast, so they made a special menu for me to choose the next day's breakfast each night. At first a friend was with me. After he left, I wanted to go out at night to the night market and the next day, to dinner. I asked the manager, Ms. Titirat (we are using first names). Two of the young women on staff, Alex and Joom, offered to go with me. We had a great time! It is boring to eat alone and I explained this to them. I asked them to choose Thai restaurants and to choose several traditional dishes of a good variety and we would share them. They did an excellent job. Then I asked them to rate each restaurant since they are the experts! Night
market was average. Restaurant on the river - Authentic & Excellent!
Ask them to recommend dishes to order.

A taxi ride to/from the hospital takes 20-30 min. and is about 100-120 THB (US$3). The hotel gave me a map with instructions in Thai to give to the taxi driver bringing me "home". From the airport a taxi is 300 (normal size) or 700 (large one) THB (US$8-20). The hotel has a map on their website to print for the airport taxi.

Aurum staff communicate very well by email. Since I had a long stay, they presented me with several options and prices to choose. I took the best room with a view since I planned to spend many hours in the room. However the less expensive rooms are just as nice, although smaller, and I would choose one of them if I was out sightseeing all day.

BTW, Aurum in in Old Bangkok and surrounded by sights included on most tours. A 5 min. walk from the hotel brings one to Wat Po or the flower market (go for flowers at night.. don' t miss it if you like flowers it is amazing). The Grand Palace is a 10-15 min. walk and there are many other sights to see within a very short distance. Take a tuk tuk if you are hot or tired (30 THB). The area is quiet at night and much more relaxing than being in the "new" city surrounded by honking taxis, traffic jams and tall buildings. You do need to travel a bit to get to a shopping center.

I'm writing this review from Aurum while I pack to leave. I am sad to
go home as I feel very comfortable here and have made friends of the staff. Aurum feels like home now. We plan to return for a normal holiday this year or next.

If you have any questions about this hotel (or the hospital), please send a message. I'll be happy to answer. After all, this hotel was recommended to me via a private message from a tripadvisor member!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple