“Stinky rooms, as if we spent a night in public toilet”

New Siam Guest House I
Ranked #163 of 652 Bangkok B&B and Inns
“Stinky rooms, as if we spent a night in public toilet”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

We had a room with attached bathroom, when we came to see it wasn't that bad, but in a couple of hours our stay in the hotel turned into a nightmare as the room filled up by a terrible smell. I asked the staff for air freshener, it didn't help, they were saying that the hotel was full and they could not move us to another room. Very sad! If you take a room there better to have the one with the shared toilets.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Great location, good rooms, very helpful staff (especially one of the girls). Pity that they didn't have WiFi in this hotel, but they co-operated with another hotel just a few blocks away with WiFi and a pool. They even had a service that let us leave our luggage there while we travelled around in Cambodia and Vietnam.

Bristol
Reviewed November 19, 2011

It's difficult finding somewhere central in Bangkok near all the touristy stuff that is still quiet enough to sleep but New Siam was perfect in that sense. It's fairly cheap I suppose for Bangkok. Nothing special but myself and my boyfriend will always use this hotel as a base when in Bangkok. Staff are a bit miserable, but will help you sort out transport if you ask. And they will let you keep your bags there behind the desk after you check out while you're waiting around. Best thing about this hotel for me was it gets animal planet and discovery channel :) Haha it's the little things that count. Air con worked well. You have to ask if you want your room cleaned. I never asked and the hotel always looked a little unclean, but i've seen worse. We always got a room with a bathroom but some rooms have shared bathroom/toilet facilities. I did use the shared toilet facilities a few times and they were kind of dirty, but that's what you get everywhere in Bangkok! Overall good value for money and I would stay at New Siam again.

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Great location and suprisingly quiet so you can get a goods night sleep. Air con works great and the rooms are pretty clean. Staff seemed to be pretty grumpy but they'll sort out most travel arrangements for you so no complaints really! It is a bit pricey for what you get compared to other places in Thailand but there you go!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2011

Yes good location but my friends and I were bungee on the sixth floor room. More like the attic room. We went up some dodgy railings and up another flight external to the building.

The room was hot and although it could be locked from the outside, could not be locked from the inside. We realized too late having returned back late and couldn't move elsewhere.

It was hot despite fans and frankly unsafe. Poor service too.

I would never restay here

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Kaji_London

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Milwaukee
Reviewed September 15, 2011

For Khao San Road, the place was clean, relatively quiet, and convenient. There is a decent restaurant/bar downstairs, the rooms were clean, the A/C worked well, and the staff was helpful. I stayed there in the peak season (January) and booked ahead online.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Vancouver / Kyoto
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I usually stay here while in BKK. The location is good, close to KSR but not nearly as noisy. The rooms have always been clean, good AC and a fan. The staff have been friendly. Cold beer out in the lobby, its open late (or all night) and a nice place to cap off the night. The staff allowed me to store some bags there for a couple weeks while in Cambodia traveling and didn't mind when I went to pick them up after returning while staying at a different hotel on KSR. The computers work ok, but it gets hot out there with no AC. I would recommend people on their first few trips to BKK to stay here.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo