“Room not ready until 2 hours after check in time!”
Review of Urbana Sathorn

Urbana Sathorn
Ranked #334 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Los Angeles, California
“Room not ready until 2 hours after check in time!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Check in time is 2. I show up just after 3. It's almost 4 and the room is still not ready (no heads-up on that, just the Thai "one moment please". Hotel has no GM now so front office manager at another hotel is the boss now. The big boss is Thai and doesn't speak English. So I wait. I asked for a password for lobby wifi and after being given two logins that don't work I get one that does. I need to ask for a glass of water.

I'm supposed to be showered, shaved, changed, and in a meeting which I've had to cancel. The cost of that far exceeds the good price I got on Agoda for this hotel.

I can't comment on the room or anything other than the lobby but there is nothing that would sway my option that this is an AWFUL hotel for severely blowing its check-in time. . I guess it's fine if you are not on a schedule and have infinite patience -- I don't!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Roamingx
UrbanaHospitality, Manager at Urbana Sathorn, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Roamingx

First of all, we would like to thank you for your time in completing feedback to us. We are really appreciated for your comment as every single comment would help us to understand guest’s needs and improve customer satisfaction as we take every complaint seriously.

Unfortunately, we were upgrading our computer system which affected to some part of our departments. From now, we try our best to improve our service, standard to meet guest’s needs.

Once again, on behalf of management team, we would like to express our sincere apologies for the inconvenience or disappointment especially on 2nd November 2012.

We hope that you will consider and give us a chance to stay at Urbana Sathorn again in your next visit. Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or comment concerning your stay.

Best Regards,

Management Center
Urbana Sathorn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is my second time in BKK, last was twenty years ago. We breezed from check in to check out. Stayed in a one bedroom suite on the 27th floor where we had a sweeping view of the city. The room is just so nicely appointed. The bed linens were crisp although they gotta have to work on their towels, needs to be bleached. Most importantly, room is odorless!
What made me extra happy is the built in washing machine and dryer. At least I didn't have to undergo the saga of running out of clothes. The gym is okay. Machines a little outdated but still serves its purpose. Didn't get the chance to see the pool area. The breakfast at Amontre Restaurant is more than acceptable, it actually is quite impressive especially for an asian like myself. The staff both of the hotel and restaurant were so efficient, helpful to the max. The only thing I found not good isn't even connected with the hotel and this is the tour desk at the ground floor. I was informed that they lease the space. The rates are quite a rip off. You will be in a lot better financial situation contracting a taxi with driver. We chanced upon Mr. Mun. His rates are so incredible that we saved 70% of the published rate. Just in case, his number is +668.7046.8940. Overall experience: Excellent! Thank you Urbana Sathorn!
P.S. Please remember to get a hotel card to show taxi drivers. They aren't so familiar with the hotel since its pretty new.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MarcAble
London
Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was a four nigh a business trip. This is more of an apartment based hotel. I have never stayed in an apartment based hotel But this was excellent it was like having a massive suite in a really good four star hotel.

Checkin
The staff were very good in getting us checked in so quckly. But it took ages for my luggage to come up.

Room
Nice massive suite for a single person. With a sofa lounge, office desk area, mini kitchen and a nice massive bedroom. Nice view of the city.

Staff.
Thai people generally are very nice and friendly. So the hotel staff do go an extra mile to help you and would bend over backwards to help you.

Sleep quality.
Ive travelled the world and I have to say this was one of the best hotels in terms of sleep quality. But unfortunatly we were out till late and starting work early. :-) Dont know what it was the pillows, extra clean sheets or the silence in the room. Even better than home :-)

Breakfast.
Breakfast selection not massive. But all the essentials for a nice breakfast start in the morning.

Location
The hotel was well located for business and pleassure. It was located in the financial district with all the big banks around the office. Pau Pong market was 10 min walk.

Overall
For the price we paid it was def one of the best hotels. A massive suite; good location; friendly staff what more could you ask for ? Trust me if you are considering this hotel Im sure you will not be disappointed.

Pool.
Nice outdoor pool on the roof. Even though it was a bit cold when we went; it was still warm enough for us Europeans to have a nice dip.

Would I go back ?
Most definetly will take the family and stay at the same hotel.

If you find my review help please select "Helpful"

Room Tip: The room i had was on the side of the building. It was pin drop silent. I think all the rooms are...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Usman M
Singapore
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I am a business traveller, and i stayed in serviced apartments such as Frasier, Anatara, Ascott in BKK before.
This is my second time staying in Urbana, this time i had a very disappointing experience.
1. The second night i returned after my work, i was shocked to find my room not cleaned! I had to call for housekeeping to clean up my room. Terrible. How could they miss it?
2. During my check out, i requested the billing of my hotel room, and the airport limousine to be seperated. I had to explain 2-3 times to 2 different persons, then they understood. It took me at least 25mins to chk out. It wasnt even peak hour.
3. The last night when my taxi finally able to find the hotel, it was ard 130Baht. I paid him 200Baht, and he started to speak in thai, i cld only hear words of "tips, tips,". The bellboy who held the door, just kept looking at him, and us. I asked him to translate several times, he just kept quiet!!!! We sat there facing one fierce cabbie suddenly ratting thai to bellboy, no reaction, and then rapidly back to us.
Another bellboy came over. i asked him to translate, he said "he said u or her promise him tips". I just went "sorry, what you mean?". The bellboy just said "i dont know, i dont know".
Me and colleague also didnt know, the cab uncle wanted to keep the 200Baht, or he wanted more!! And the two staffs were not helping. The two of us sat in the cab, not sure what to do either. Both just looked us cabbie and then looked at us, holding the door. After several moments, my colleague asked the cabbie directly, and said "that 200Baht, ok? ok?"
Then the cabbie grinned and said ok.
How useless are the bellboys?? Two hotel guests, both foreigners, and they just left us to fend for ourselves, in front of the hotel.
Seriously, i wont go back again.
For travellers who have no choice - you can tell cabbie that Urbana is next to "Marriott hotel". One suggestion is to get from the hotel the address of Urbana in thai language. They will give u this tiny piece of paper with the map on it.
In addition, Urbana is near to HealthLand (good massage place), you can always get the hotel to call and make appointment for you.
Good luck!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank steffietan
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Our stay was fantastic the rooms are wonderful very spacious and modern . Having a washing machine and dryer is a bonus . It is still very close to every where it is only about 100bht to MBK and other shopping centres . The staff are very friendly and the breakfast is great we will be back here

Room Tip: We stayed in the executive studio
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Narelle J
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Firstly as someone else had said - the taxi driver didn't know where the hotel was. We were taken to the Marriott first but we said that wasn't the right place. It was almost next door so that was fine!

Upon arrival our bags were unloaded and we checked in - the process was rather quick and within 10 minutes we were in our room. The hotel itself was clean and tidy. Our room was gorgeous! 2 bedrooms, kitchen, washing machine, air conditioning. Absolutely clean and the views of Bangkok were pretty good. It was nice to sit out on the balcony and watch the traffic chaos and not be part of it! The complimentary bottled water were a welcome treat in Bangkok's heat.

We had booked our room almost 5 months earlier and had also booked a cot for our 2 year old. After 3 trips to reception it was finally understood what we needed but were told they didn't have any as other guests had the cots! So we asked for a mattress or something we could put on the floor for him. Housekeeping then brought a little pillow, and quilt for him. We explained this was not enough and we would need a mattress or something. Finally we were given a mattress. This was better than the alternative (sleeping with us) unfortunately we had to pick him up off the floor (as he had rolled off) a few times each night and put him back on the mattress.

Breakfast was ok. Not a huge selection but ok. Coffee was great! Had dinner in the restaurant 1 night - it was rather nice food and the service was quick and the staff were polite as they seem to be everywhere in Thailand!

We tried to buy wifi for our room but were told our room is not in a suitable location for reception!

The pool was a big hit with all of us. It was nice to relax in the pool after a long day travelling. The only downside was the fact that one time our 2 year old was wrapped in the pool towel and we were allowed to take him up to our room in it, just as long as we returned it as soon as we possibly could - which we did - returning it 10 minutes later. The next day the man on pool duty wouldn't let us do the same so we had to give the towel back before we left the area leaving our son shivering in the airconditioing until we got to the room and dressed him. We would have returned the towel man!!!

When we were ready to check out the concierge took our bags, waited until we had checked out and then loaded them into the van for us. The most disappointing part is that I had taken the water bottle that was left in our room and put it in the side pocket of my backpack. It was still sealed and I was grateful to have the water bottle in the heat. When we arrived at the airport I found that it had been removed from my backpack - I mean seriously - it's only 1 bottle of complimentary water! That was such a petty thing to do - I just couldn't believe anyone would do that!

Those little things - cot, towel, water bottle, wifi, would make me think twice about staying here again. The room itself was gorgeous there is no doubting that but I would have to seriously think twice before staying here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank travellingwoodburys
Zaki B, Group General Manager at Urbana Sathorn, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear travellingwoodberrys,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing Urbana Sathorn and for taking the time to write us the detailed feedback following your stay.

I am deeply concerned after reading about the incidents you encountered during your stay. After a thorough investigation, please rest assured that the water bottle incident has definitely been a misunderstanding. The water bottles are complimentary and it has never in our practice to confiscate them upon check-out. Please accept my sincere apologies with regards to the baby cot and the internet. We have already ordered in more baby cots and we are also on process of installing new internet system and will be completed soon. I am sorry about the service of the staff at the pool, this is certainly unacceptable and I have shared your comment with the team to prevent this from happening again.

I am glad to hear that you appreciated the quick service upon check-in and had a comfortable stay in our gorgeous 2-Bedroom Suite overlooking Bangkok city. I am also pleased to learn that you enjoyed sitting out in our large private balcony which Urbana Sathorn provides in every room type.

Please know that we are on the process of re-branding and are constantly improving our services and facilities to meet with every guest's satisfaction. I sincerely hope you would consider staying with us the next time you visit Bangkok and I would be more than happy to handle your booking personally. Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback, we look forward to welcoming you to Urbana Sathorn in the future.

Best regards,
Zaki Baz
Group General Manager
Bangkok
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Stayed at this establishment from May - September 2012. In the early days, the service and standards were generally acceptable, but the quality dissipated as time went on.

Having previously stayed at other hotels in Bangkok and found the reception and front of house staff to be extremely helpful, the response level at Frasers/Urbana Sathorn could only be described as disinterested at best.

Many of my colleagues and myself simply gave up on going to breakfast which was unimaginative and in the 4 months I was there varied little. The food was lukewarm or cold and had often been left sitting in the Bain Marie for too long so was soggy and lifeless. The only saving graces were the fresh coffee (available on request) and the Egg Chef who produced delectable fresh omelettes.

Whilst the rooms were sizeable with good balconies and had generous living areas, the décor and carpets were tired and the kitchen equipped with only the bare minimum by way of crockery and utensils. The rooms were serviced daily but the cleaning regimen was cursory.

There seem to be other hotels offering similar apartments in the general area that provide better service.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DoodleBug1966
Zaki B, Group General Manager at Urbana Sathorn, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear DoodleBug1966,

Thank you for your constructive feedback following your stay at Urbana Sathorn. I am delighted to hear you had a lovely stay in our guestroom with large living area and private balcony overlooking Bangkok city.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the incidents causing dissatisfaction to you and your colleagues during your stay. Over the past month, we have been receiving wonderful feedback regarding the new and improved Breakfast line and warm service at Urbana Sathorn. I am deeply concerned after hearing of such issues with the service and breakfast quality that you experienced. I would highly appreciate if you would provide me with more details regarding your stay so i may have the opportunity to solve these issues personally to prevent them from happening again.

I do hope for another opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards,