Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
eDreams
Priceline
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed at Diamond City for 2 nights, I wouldn’t stay for much longer than that in Bangkok. The hotel wasn’t exactly what I thought it was going to be, but it was still pretty good.

We booked this hotel because we wanted a couple of nights to chill out after being in Chiang Mai before we got our flight home from Bangkok. There were three reasons we booked this hotel 1) price, which I cant complain about because I think its good value for money. 2) location, we didnt really want to be right by the main strip of bars and weren’t bothered about being near the Grand Palace etc, we didn’t want to be far from the airport and wanted to be near the shopping centres like MBK so no complaints there either. 3) a swimming pool, we wanted to take the opportunity to just chill and have a swim. This is where I have a slight complaint, I nicknamed the pool 'the smallest pool in the world.' It seriously is the size of a postage stamp, we spent a good couple of minutes trying to work out if it was the pool or a water feature. We did go in it though and its pretty cold as well, so you cant swim in it because its too small and you dont really want to sit in it because its too cold. If I wasn’t that bothered about having a swim then it wouldn’t have been an issue but as that was one of the things I was looking forward to doing it was a bit disappointing. I’m fairly sure that when we booked these rooms on booking.com it advertised the pool as being outdoor which it isn’t, so that was misleading! Another small point which again isn’t a big problem but the tv’s in both mine and my friends rooms were a bit dodgy. They would quite often freeze on the American / European channels that were available. Again a bit annoying if you just want to stay in and watch a film, or catch up on the riots back home!

Apart from the postage stamp sized pool the hotel does have a lot going for it. The rooms are clean and comfortable and a good size. The staff are great, the girl on the front desk was lovely, very friendly! They let us check in early, 8am well before the 12pm time that we had on our confirmation which was very helpful. They also offer free drinks in the reception (tea, coffee & orange juice,) I don’t drink coffee but my boyfriend said it wasn’t great, drinkable but not great. The tea was really weak but as much free juice as you want works for me, especially as its so hot and stuffy in Bangkok (not in the hotel that’s nice and air-conditioned.)

Breakfast was fine, typical buffet style, not great but I guess you get what you pay for and there was always enough. I’m not sure if they offered room service or food at any other times. There was also mugs and a flask in our room but no kettle or tea making facilities, which was odd. Check out at 12pm was useful as well as we weren’t in a hurry to check out early.

Within walking distance is Jim Thompson’s House which makes for an interesting attraction for a morning or afternoon. It only costs 100B and you get a tour around the house and grounds. Gives you an insight into Thai Style houses and the life led by the somewhat eccentric Jim Thompson.

All in all I would recommend this hotel based on price, location and comfortable rooms. If you want a decent pool to swim in then don’t expect that at Diamond City, if you aren’t bothered about that then this hotel is fine. I have read in other reviews that the hotel is difficult to find, which I don’t agree with. We had a little Google map print out and walked from the Train station,( which I would recommend if you want to save some money and don’t mind carrying your bag, it took about 30 mins or so) and we found it fine. It is down a back street but its not dodgy and is perfectly safe.

Room tip: Our rooms were standard and had a window but that looked out on a concrete wall so I just kept the curtains closed. Very comfy and good size
Date of stay: August 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
7  Thank bigbird1050
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Me and my girlfriend stayed here for one night as we were travelling the next morning. As we only booked it the day before, the rates were reasonable. Basic hotel with basic facilities and small rooms. The swimming pool is in the lobby which is quite offputting and we decided not to use it. One of many hotels promoting free wifi which we later found out did not exist.

The staff were helpful and had good English. There was construction on our floor and it was not sealed off which was very dangerous for children.

Overall a decent hotel in a fine location for the price.

Young couple travelling in July 2011

Date of stay: July 2011
3  Thank Chris B
Reviewed August 13, 2011

This place had very plush, comfortable rooms with attractive decor and quiet surroundings.
We managed to get a room for 1100Baht downstairs near the pool (so a little 'treadesmans', no view, but the room itself was lovely). Large, soft bed with comfortable bedding, a bath and hairdryer (The TV wasn't up to much but who needs that?) And a nice sofa, wardrobe etc.
Free breakfast which wasn't great but better than nothing and very helpful staff.
It's down a series of back streets which are a little dingy but it's such a short walk from Siam square that for the price it's worth it if you can get a good rate.

Date of stay: March 2011
3  Thank Vickyjo
Reviewed July 23, 2011

This Hotel took out taxi driver 1 1/2 hours to find which should have been a 10-15 min trip. On arriving reception advised us that a guest had chosen to stay an extra night therefore we could not have the 2 connecting rooms we had booked and paid for in advance, they could offer 1 room only and transfer us to two connecting rooms the following day. didnt argue as it was 11pm and we were all tired after travelling all day and just needed to get to bed. Our room had a frosted window so no view, the power point connected to the TV was handing out of the wall, none of the 3 lamps in the room worked. There were 2 queen size beds which were comfortable however the linen had red nail polish stains on he cover and the other had patches of different fabric sewn on them to hide holes. couldnt swing a cat in the bathroom and the toilet leaked when you flushed it. The Buffet breakfast area was small and you had to wait to get a spot for the family to eat breakfast. Buffet was limited, my daughter had 2 of the breakfast sausages which were off so we stuck to the toast to be safe. We opted to eat breakfast out for the rest of our stay. The hotel pool is right behind reception and at first i was convinced this just a water feature but them realised it was the pool. The decking around th pool was broken and missing in places. The connecting rooms we were moved into werent any better than the first. No shower screen in one bathroom so when you had a shower the bathroom flooded and the toilet in the other leaked. No Cable available as i goes out when it rains. The hotel taxi driver was wonderful and very helpful. hotel is located 10 mins walk to the BTS and SIAM shopping centre. On our last day we had to pay an additional 600 baht extra to keep our room til 5pm eventhough they owed us 1 nights accomodation for a room we paid for but didnt get. Reception staff were difficult to deal with due to the language barrier.
This is defnately a budget hotel. if you are a bartercard customer i would recemmend you stay at only 5 star hotels as our experience with 3-4 star is they are run down and well below the star rating they claim to be.

Date of stay: July 2011
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
4  Thank ingridb58
Reviewed June 30, 2011

It is in the back streets as someone else mentions but it gives you a real flavour of local Thai culture with the street markets and food stalls. It is actually only five minutes walk to the Skytrain station and across the road from here are some really good bars. The hotel pictures do make it look a bit nicer than it is but where doesn't. The staff are really friendly and helpful. The breakfasts are a bit hit and miss with a mixture of thai and western food. Overall a really good place to stay for the price.

Room tip: Front rooms can be a bit noisy
Date of stay: November 2010