“Great location but only average hotel”

Evergreen Place Bangkok
Ranked #22 of 1,155 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Yeppoon, Australia
“Great location but only average hotel”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Great location in the city, very close to BTS Ratchathewi Station, but thats about the best part of this hotel.
We stayed 4 nights, breakfast was included in our rate but we ate elseshere after the first 2 mornings. The breakfast was ordinary, not a huge selection and not very nice.
After sleeping the first night in our room we both awoke with painful backs, the mattress was like a slab of stone. We requested a change of rooms and the front desk was helpful and changed us after lunch. The second room was better, but only slightly better, at least the rooms where big and clean, the bathroom was very close to needing a renovation.

In all the hotel has been better in the past, I have stayed in the same area at other hotels and would probably not return to Evergreen.
Staff were very helpful and tried hard, just the hotel itself is not up to 4 star standard as it was rated.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights with friends and a kid. The place was clean and the staff friendly and helpful. The area is near to the shopping centres and the BTS station a stone throw away.

The breakfast was alright but could do more with variety but I guessed that's might come with a price. The swimming pools is good and it came with the steam bath and sauna nearby.

The master bedroom comes with an attached toilet with a bath-tub and shower area. But the common toilet and shower area is a bit too small. The bed is not as good as I would like as all my friends complained that we can feel the springs when we slept on it.

Nevertheless, it's a good place to stay for a big family.

Room Tip: Ask for the MBK view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A good pleasant room with all you could want, including a balcony. As the hotel is set back about 50m down a lane it was quiet. There is a good very clean pool and a gymn. Sometimes there was a minute or so delay for a lift but that was not a problem.
The staff were very friendly cheerful and helpful.
The buffet breakfast seemed to me to be of a very good standard with a very wide range of dishes. I would say 15 -20 hot dishes european and asian plus the usual cereals fruit and even salad ingredients.
At other times the adjacent restaurant (called the coffee club) is open. For various reasons over 2 weeks plus at times I found it convenient to eat there. While there are plenty of local alternatives I was suspicious of many as I saw cooked food dropped on the pavement and then replaced on the platter and the water the shellfish were stored in. Not all obviously but I was unhappy with the quality at some of the locals. Unfortunately the Evergreen was erratic. Sometimes very good, and sometimes very poor. I suspect this was a junior cook as the main activity would have started at say 5.30 am or earlier. But serving undercooked food even after it has been returned? A pity as with a happy hour they could have had more diners.
On the plus side there are skytrain stations and shopping centres very close and taxis are cheap.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Gibraltar
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here in December 2012, rooms are quite big,has a bathroom,bedroom and a large living room with a kitchenette. Its walking distance to MBK and other shopping malls.
It's worth staying here definitely value for money. Will be back in February 2014.

However one negative thing was the restaurant - the food was awful!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kylie e
los angeles
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I've been staying at the Evergreen on and of since approximately 2002.. when it was pretty much exclusively an Executive Serviced apartment. It suited my needs then beyond what any other similar facility could have, in price, location, amenities and the most important detail for me in BKK: a balcony.

Try and find another actual functioning balcony near-by and you'll be out of luck I believe.

The gym got better over time to be inclusive of treadmill, elliptical and stationary bikes in addition to wet and dry saunas as well as a proper swimming pool, lanes + depth all meant a perfect after work (or afternoon post shopping) wind-down.

I was always reluctant to write a review of Evergreen (it would have been 5 star + then for sure..) as I wanted to selfishly keep it to myself an not have tourists jamming the hallways and elevators of an otherwise perfect place for me... and until a recent a stay from July 8-28 I have not been back to BKK since 2006.

These amenities are all still part of the Evergreen experience however now that they are also a Hotel as well as a Serviced Apartment my disappointment is now that the Olympic style pool is now a kids and family type "splash and frolic" zone.

Additionally, and I don't see how they'll cope with this going forward; the elevators are more designed for Apartment style back and forth and are now, upon check in of large traveling groups and families, stuffed to the maximum load with carts of suitcases and bodies.

Which means waiting a lot of the time for elevators to empty out or come along.. a "hotel" proper would never function with these two small elevators and as Evergreen has 20 + floors it is a challenge for the staff and requires patience of the guests.

To that point I've never previously needed the staff for any reason when staying at Evergreen as being apartment I never required a concierge or front desk help.

This trip as I was on vacation, there were transportation issues (taxis/vans) to domestic airport/Don Mueng requirements as well as transport to the Beach areas without wanting to catch a public Van from Victory Monument and the staff handled this perfectly!

The crew here is managed and trained very well to be able to adapt to my needs (I changed plans, requirements for transportation several times) and several times by phone from remote locations. Whereupon they arranged for pick up using an affordable Taxi service.

The staff also patiently handled a matter of no-hot-water in our unit upon our check-in. This was a problem that on the day that was affecting the building (not just our unit) and they had the problem fixed in short order and made sure we knew exactly when it was fixed and followed up every day to make sure the problem did not return.

If the strain on the Evergreen is limited presently to *only* the elevator situation; then it is right to say the human element more than makes up for the new (to me) transition to Hotel status.

Which for guests staying longer than one week is an extremely valuable commodity.

"Sam" the Door guy and "Jane" at the front desk especially went out of their way, thanks to amazing management and staff see you again in 2014!

Room Tip: Ask for MBK facing room + Balcony for outstanding dusk and after hours views!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank matt_p_2012_12_12_19
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Recently my mother and I booked to stay at this hotel for 8 nights. We arrived late at night and went straight to bed. When we woke up in the morning we looked at the deluxe suite and weren't impressed. It was very dark, old, smelly and the view was shocking. We went down to brekfast expecting an amazing buffet breakfast but instead got cereal, toast and limited vegetarian dishes. The pool was old and dirty. The staff weren't welcoming and the hotel was tucked away in a small side street. Although the location is perfect, I would rather pay for luxury then location. We left immediately after our first breakfast receiving a refund and went to a different hotel. This was my second time in Bangkok and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
paris
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stay twice this year and were despointed due to the lack of services compare to last year. The place is still well located of course, rooms and swimming pool still good values too but service is not here anymore. Rooms are cleaned approximately and when you ask missed things, it appears to be a great effort for the reception people to do it. Even the breakfast suffers with much less people looking after it, cold dishes, people running after you to ask you your room number... It's a pity, it use to be a nice place

• Stayed July 2013