“"A decent hotel at an good price"”

Royal Asia Lodge Bangkok
Ranked #804 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 18, 2012

I stayed here on 4 different occasions and I also don't understand the poor reviews. The expression you get what you pay for is most fitting. Don't expect 5 star service and breakfast for this price, and you won't be disappointed. Being located very near Nana & Soi Cowboy nightlife but far enough away to not be constantly noisy. Since it is within walking distance to the BTS, although there's a shuttle during the day, it is an easy place to get around the city from. I don't understand the many poor reviews, if your not here to enjoy the lively nightlife around the busiest tourist part of Bangkok then this may be the wrong hotel, if this is your goal there are few better hotels around here, i know i have tried several over the years. They offer a complimentary tuk tuk service to Sukhumvit road/ Nana BTS Station.You can walk back to the hotel anytime of the day and you would feel safe,there are two 7-11 stores before you reach the hotel which is a big plus for me.

I usually stay at this hotel before headed to different parts of Thailand and leaving to come home. I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 1trugamer

Reviewed April 10, 2012

The rooms smell bad. The fridge and bathroom are moldy. Yes, there a few cockroaches but, I only saw them in the bathroom. The "free" breakfast is atrocious if it is even available. I wouldn't feed it to my dog.
Yes, it is cheap.. but, you get what you pay for.
Positives: generally pretty quiet until you try to sleep a little late. Housekeeping staff make A LOT of noise in the hallway chatting on their walkie-talkies each morning. Contrary to what many say about the receptionist, she was quite friendly with me. Tuk Tuk is always quick to take you anywhere along Soi 8.
Are there sex-tourists staying there?? Ummm, what neighborhood is this in?? OF COURSE, THERE WILL BE MONGERING GOING ON!! LOL.

Room Tip: If cockroaches bother you, stay somewhere else. If you want a decent breakfast, go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Jason L
Reviewed April 2, 2012

After travelling for several months Royal Asia Lodge is by far the worst hotel we've stayed in and by no means the cheapest!!!

As a party of 8, having 4rooms, the complaints are endless, from having thread bare towels to having to pay for an extra pillow to a bathroom which wouldn't look out of place on a derelict housing estate.
Had a couple of extra visitors in the form of cockroaches and the staffs minimal english in such a western district of Bangkok is the icing on an extremely outdated cake. This is no hyperbole intended in this review.
And don't even get me started on the swamp of a swimming pool, which we saw fermenting with bubbles, and was a surprised we didn't see a crocodile in the swamp.
Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: No good rooms!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Georgina P
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I stayed here 4 days and I also don't understand the poor reviews. The expression you get what you pay for is most fitting. Dont expect 5 star service and breakfast for this price, and you won't be disappointed. The front desk doesn't guys dont smile a lot, but that is no reason to be offended. The complimentary tuk tuk driver never once glared at me and was pretty quick back and forth when I was feeling too lazy to walk the 5 minutes to the main road. The female staff and cleaning staff seemed to be more cheerful, but really... who cares if someone smiles at you or not when you don't even know them. My room was decent sized and clean, I did see one cockroach-like bug but I think it was some kind of beetle. I smashed it and never saw another. Staff cleaned my room well everyday. Location was awesome, about a 5 minute walk to the BTS skytrain or main road. 2 minute walk to 7/11, also close to a couple of decent chilled back bars. The pool didnt look super clean, but I didnt have time to swim to verify. Wifi speed was more than adequate in my room. The breakfast buffet was not great, but was free and sufficient to fuel you throughout the morning for your activities. The 2 out 4 days I had it, they served fried eggs, fried potatoes, fruit, some rice or pasta along with toast and juice. The only problem I had (and it really pissed me off) is their breakfast ticket policy. I had forgotten my ticket with me the first day in my room and the young guy up there made me go back to my room to get it after I had already sat down to eat! It was a little embarrassing. Then the second day I ate was a couple days later and he told me my ticket had to be used within 2 days and this one was 3 days old. At least this guy didn't demand I go get one of my other tickets I hadn't used, prior to eating but seriously....do they really think anyone would go to the trouble of sneaking into the hotel or scamming for such marginal food? i didn't appreciate being treated like that, but I emailed management on that so hopefully they correct that. I give the hotel a 5 out 5 on everything but service because of the overzealous breakfast ticket police.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mattymatt78
Reviewed March 25, 2012

being located very near nana nightlife but far enough away to not be constantly noisy. Since it is within walking distance to the BTS, although theres a shuttle during the day, it is an easy place to get around the city from. I dont understand the many poor reviews, if your not here to enjoy the lively nightlife around the busiest tourist part of bangkok then this may be the wrong hotel, if this is your goal there are few better hotels around here, i know i have tried several over the years.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Chris B
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Had trouble with room key card for the whole day I was there and not just me but 3 or 4 guests on the same floor. The key cards seem to have been recycled so many times and repaired. Everytime I would try to enter my room the key card would not work and had to wait for the receptionist to come up and open for me. also invested with cockroaches.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank blueseaview
Reviewed March 7, 2012

Was good value, had everything i wanted. WiFi, nice breakfast in the morning, pool on the roof for the kids, (small but great fun for two 6 year olds)
Friendly maid put no pressure on room cleaning.
Located at the very end of soi 8 which is a good walk from Skytrain but hotel has own tuk-tuk /golf cart to take you up and own soi so no problem.
Same problem as all Bangkok hotels , noisy air conditioning, but since I have yet to stay in a budget hotel that did not have a loud air con I wont put it as a minus. Great rugby pub at start of Soi 8 too for those with an interest.
All hotels in Bangkok have their little nuances, this had very little to compain about.
Thanks