“What's wrong with the people's reviews below?”
Review of Sawasdee Smile Inn

Sawasdee Smile Inn
Ranked #535 of 728 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I often find myself sitting and reading reviews for places I am at, or hostels/hotels that I will be heading to. But let's be real... Everyone's experiences are different, and everyone's expectations are even more different.

When you stay at a hostel in Thailand, you must realize that you are STAYING AT A HOSTEL IN THAILAND! People's reviews of Sawasadee Smile Inn (and many other places) are obviously expecting a 5 star resort for a really cheap price! These are hostels on Khaosan Road people! Get a life!

I don't mean to be rude, but lumpy mattresses, a key deposit and small rooms? Yeah! Obviously! It's 500B a night ($16) and you get what you pay for. It's simple, it's cozy, it's location is great... 4 minute walk to Khaosan Road, but far enough away you can sleep without all the music and noise.

We originally planned one night, and we are now staying for 3.

All I'm saying, is that when you plan to stay in a place like this, for this cheap price, be real about it and don't write reviews like you're a future king or queen!

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank briangonerogue

Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is quite simply the worst place to stay ever!
After a long tiring journey, I was looking forward to relaxing and beginning my 3 week holiday.
I had booked on line and arrived at reception with my receipt. After a few minutes of being totally ignored the receptionist just pointed to a chair and said 'sit there'.
After 15 minutes of sitting in the chair I asked if I could please have a key to my room, without looking up she demanded 500bht (about £10) for key deposit, I gave it to her and was handed a key. She never said anything else, I walked away feeling like I had done something wrong.
The room or should I say cell was awful, you could feel every spring in the mattress, there was a slat missing from the window which let in all the mosquitoes and street noise (and there was lots of it at night). The shower head was so bunged up the water just trickled, there was no mirror, only the broken plastic from where it had been above the sink and small table at the end of the bed hadn't been dusted for months.
Facing the reception staff he next morning was just as awful as the day before, they were shouting and accusing me of stealing the mirror and were not going to give my deposit back. Yes, really!
I could not believe this was for real, is there no one in charge of this place? Where is a manager? The staff have clearly never been trained in customer service. The location is good but there are so many other places to stay that couldn't possibly be worse.

Room Tip: I don't think there can be any good rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Stayed here. Nice comfortable and cordial stay but right opposite railway station! Very noisy. With Gujarati guests who are loud and noisy, with swimming pool right inside and open, with ill-designed discotheque, quiet and privacy are out of imagination.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2014

There are 2 good things to say, one is position...and Two the bar on their breakfast area is run by a fabulous Thai woman.
The front desk staff were incredibly rude and unpleasant, the rooms were in poor shape ....the beds felt as though the mattress was stuffed with old clothes.
It was only two nights so I just gritted my teeth and got through it .... Made the thought of returning to Bangkok seem a nightmare.
Thank God for a wonderful week in Cambodia, and their truly smiling people.
Like the other reviewer said... Somewhere you'll always remember, but never want to go back to!
Please do not write me the "I'm so sorry....copy,paste apology

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Friends and fellow travellers. it has been a year since we were in Bangkok at the Sawasdee Smile Inn. I have laughed and loved your reviews today, which was so nostalgic.
We must all remember somewhere we have been that has been THE place that you will never re-visit, but it will always be the place that you remember and laugh about just the same.
we came to no harm in this place, sure you could go to the loo and shower at the same time, I was glad we booked a two double bed room so that we didn't get put in a shoe box room.
the stairs were the most dangerous I have ever seen, with the first step being about 2 foot high. dont go here if you have a disability, there is no lift.
we didn't have any animals in our room, but then we have had animals in our accomodation in various places through Thailand, it's not unusual, just startling sometimes. for goodness sake in Hua Hin I found a cockroach in my undies in the top of the wardrobe.lol
I've just remembered that we went to the wrong Inn just around the corner to start with, one of the others in the group. amongst all the people and suitcases/bags was a chicken walking around, I wondered if he sometimes makes room calls, perhaps it was the early call service.
So any way, happy travels every one, if you just want somewhere to lay your head when your lashed out of your brain, this is the place for you. but be kind to the ladyboy on the reception if she's still there, she has to put up with a lotof s**t from customers, she's just simply waiting for the next round with a disgruntled customer, and you expect her to smile??..Wait.. just looked at the ratings down below, there was a swimming pool ?????

Room Tip: The receptionist showed us the room before we took our stuff up, this is normal in Thailand, and if...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2014

What can I say about this place... It was an experience! When I arrived and checked into my room I may as well have been served by a mute. After a while I got pointed in a vague direction sort of over that way and eventually found my room, although my stay in Bangkok probably would have been better if I got lost and forgot my name.

The bed was so awful I probably would have had a better night sleep on the floor in the lobby. The bathroom, which was essentially a broken toilet with a cold water hose hanging out of the wall above it, was home to a small gecko. Still, it was the first time I had showered with a gecko. An experience, like I said. The windows weren't so much windows, more like a Venetian blind made of broken glass. The saving grace was that the room had air con, which, quite unbelievably worked. And it had a door that locked.

Oh yeah, there was a hole in the wall too.

Room Tip: The best rooms are elsewhere.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Stuart H
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here only because we arrived in Bangkok at 100 in the morning.By the time we got to the hotel it was closing in on 3 am so we didnt want to waste money on a good place since we only needed a place to shower and lay down until the sun came up.We open the window and there was no screen and left it open for fresh air and went to sleep. I woke a couple hours later when I heard a sound and turned the light on and a skinny cat went running and jumped out the window on to the roof outside our room. This place is only for a short stay..Its seen better days.If you stay here close your windows at night.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple