“Backpackers' haven in the party block”
Review of Sawasdee Smile Inn

Sawasdee Smile Inn
Ranked #519 of 698 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The inn is located near Khaosan road, the famous party block, in Bangkok. Locationwise, it is very convenient. Food vendors and massage parlors are everywhere within 1 minute distance.

It is basically a quick stayover for many backpackers. The price per night depends on fan or air conditioning, shared bathroom on private ones, including breakfast or not. After all, the price in Baht is not expensive compare with dollars in US.

The pros and cons of this particular hotel:
Pro:
1. location - food and fun
2. rather cheap but not the cheapest
3. choices - what you pay is what you get
4. Not too noisy even close in the proximity of the party screamers block
Con:
1. rooms are quite dirty with holes on the wall
2. no room services until after you check out, asked the bedsheets changed twice but nothing got done
3. front desk personnel is rude and unfriendly

Usually the hotel front desk personnel takes turn according to their shifts. During my stay there, the person called Kob was there all the time. Her english was not perfect but the worst was her temper. Asking her questions seemed like bothering her. And her responses were always like "You CANNOT this, you CANNOT that.." without understanding the questions thoroughly. She was a big talker and seldom listened. Quite irritating.

I had emailed my complaints to the hotel's customer service but not much help.

Room Tip: Don't try the fan rooms, the poor little fan is dysfunctional in Bangkok's temperature. Air...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Sawasdee Smile Inn

Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is one of the worst place ( if not top of the list) I stayed in during my various trips to South East Asia and Bangkok. We arrived late after 12 hours in a bus so we did not look much. The room was a bit less than Ok but the shower was warm even if not so clean, Tv was not working , and the wall was so thin that I actually felt like I was sharing the Thai-German couple evening entertainment in the room next door. Well I do return to Bangkok as a stop over to most of my South Asian trip but will avoid the place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked a Superior Double room for 1 day stay over in Bangkok.

Location of hotel was such that taxi driver dropped us on main street, and we had to search for the hotel in small allies of backpackers area at midnight.

The room was not at all like the images shown in Cleartrip. It was a very small room in shape of a triangle! It had a private bathroom, and room was clean enough BUT was stinking with bad smell due to presence of a shared bathroom nearby.

As we were tired enough at the time, we just slept over the night and next morning checked out as it was not worth to pay for this room even for half a day.

Good thing was there was storage room available, so we kept our luggage there till the evening time. One more plus, hotel was near to the Grand Palace which we had planned to visit.

Overall I wont recommend the hotel if you plan to stay for more than 1 day, and also avoid it if you have other options available at similar cost.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We booked this hotel on the recommendation of our travel agent, supposedly a 3* hostel so in Thai standards should of been presentable. We turned up after having to be dropped of on Khoisan rd because the taxi driver could not find it, having said that it is a convenient location in the end, to be told they had no recollection of our booking, luckily we had all the paper work to hand, booking ref receipt etc and the receptionist we got that night was helpful and let us book in and said we could sort it the next day, exhausted we trekked up the two flights of pretty steep stairs to our room, well if it wasn't late I would have left it was disgusting the wall had caved in the walls were filthy, there was a stream of water running through the floor, then I saw the bathroom, the toilet was in the middle of what I suppose you would call a shower room, and there was the last occupants pants hanging on the back of the door. The only saving grace was that the bed was clean and comfortable and the aircon worked so we got a good nights sleep. We awoke the next morning to workmen plaster boarding the wall outside our room so we headed to breakfast to be told our room didn't come with breakfast buy the rudest girl on reception she had no intention of helping and I think only gave us the breakfast coupon to get rid of us, breakfast was ok but did not inspire us to eat any other meals there. Would not stay again and would not recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

If not for the front desk staff, I'd give this one a good rating.

I'd have to say the room I got was nice. Cheap. Clean. Looked like it was just got painted or something. Tv wasn't working. But I wasn't really planning to stay in. Hot shower wasn't working too. But it was hot that cold shower was really great.

The staff was angry for no reason. I was tired. It was 7pm when I arrived. She was slamming files and what not on the counter and inside the office. I acted cool becoz all I wanted was to get in the room and shower ASAP. If I hadn't paid in advance I would just go next door. The morning staff was also the same. They should really remove the word smile from the name.

Even later on my way out for dinner, she was scolding another young female guest, asking her about the Internet.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Halms
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed here last week for 3 days and it wasn't that bad!!! Stayed in a double air cooler room!!! Cheap and very conveniently located!! The staff weren't the best but some were helpful n some very grumpy!! The room was very basic with warm water n small window!! Wi if is free for guests staying in the hotel but its only around the reception n restaurant area!! The breakfast is simple but nice!!! There is a little place next to the reception where you can book tours and the woman who works there is lovely and sweet and you can book airport bus and tours from her at a good price!!! So about the hotel... I would stay there again ... Basic and simple :) and a good value for the cheap price of the room.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neel s
Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

The question I ask is why is it called Smile Inn? My experience gave me nothing to smile about. I paid over 600 THB for a superior room, which is expensive on Thai standards, and it was disgusting. There were holes in the floor, window panes were missing, the aircon unit sounded like a concord taking off and I could feel every spring in the bed's mattress. You had to climb over the toilet to get to the shower. There is no elevator, so if you were an idiot and clicked the 'high floor' request button (booked through the Sawasdee hotels website) you will be climbing three steep flights of stairs with your suitcase. The staff are rude and don't seem to smile at customers, nor are they very helpful. The location is fantastic, but that's the only thing that this place has going for it. There are ants crawling all over the windows. I had a giant cockroach crawl up into my bed one night, and I was savaged by bed bugs. I then found out from a guy in the adjacent room that he'd been in my room before I arrived and he also got attacked by bed bugs so he moved - but obviously they don't wash the blankets between customers even when there are hygiene issues. If you are considering staying here then take my advice and keep looking... D&D is a bit more expensive but it's clean and friendly!

• Stayed: March 2013