“A Real Gem”

Ranked #5 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Redding, California
“A Real Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2009

I'm so glad I read the reviews of this hotel at Tripadvisor before making reservations for our 6-night stay in Bangkok. We couldn't have picked a better hotel (boutique hotel?) for a comfortable, quiet oasis in the bustling city of Bangkok.
First off this is not a luxury hotel complete with all the amenities of home. Second, the location is not in the midst of tourist attractions which are fairly easily reached by express ferry (a 10 minute walk to the pier from the hotel) or by tuk-tuk or taxi for a moderate fare. These two inconveniences (if you want to call them that) are more than compensated for by all the other qualities of this hotel.
The staff is extremely helpful and knowledgeable, the food delicious (not your typical continental or American breakfast) and wholesome, even the coffee was good, the premises and decorations are most interesting both in the courtyard and in the rooms. The bathroom was sufficient with a shower, sink and flush toilet and the bed comfortable (I do like a hard mattress). The room was pleasantly comfortable, temperature wise (good airconditioner plus an overhead fan) but no chair for sitting. No closets but shelving for clothing and some hooks with a couple of hangers. A CD player with some wonderful new age music, a telephone but no tv (who has time to watch it anyhow) and no mini-bar. 2 bottles of water were supplied every day and you could always get ice from the restaurant when it was open.
Free Internet is available in all the rooms (wifi) and there were 3 iMacs next to the lobby for those without their own computer. Massages were available on-site also but not much privacy! And did it hurt! Not your gentle massage but I loved it anyway.
A free walking tour was included - a visit to a wat (temple) followed by some thai snacks (lunch really). Quite unexpected.
We will definitely stay here the next time we visit Bangkok.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
PhranakornNornlen, Pn Gang at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2009
Thanks so much for your review, these are very important and also bring us a passion for work :)

We're happy to know you tried a lot to blend with local Thai. You're so kind, it's nice to meet you, and we hope very much to serve you again next time.

We wish you a great helth and wealth, happy new year 2010, our lovely guest :D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Brooklyn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2009

I had read the mixed reviews here on TripAdvisor, but as I enjoy a more personal guesthouse experience and wanted to avoid the Khao San Road tourist scene, I decided to go ahead and stay here. I ended up having a very mixed experience and do wish I had stayed somewhere else after all, even Khao San.

The positives are that the staff is extremely nice and friendly and wonderful; the breakfasts they cook are interesting and mostly very good; there are 3 computers with internet for use anytime; the rooms are thoughtfully decorated and have homemade soap and hot tea waiting at night and other nice personal touches.

The negatives are that firstly, this hotel is EXTREMELY out of the way. It's about a 20-30 minute walk north of Khao San, which is already a big walk north from the rest of the city. It's true that the hotel is very close to a boat stop which is great during daylight hours, but boats stop running around 6 PM so if you're spending late afternoon down at in chinatown, or downtown, Sky Bar, jim thompson, etc, you're totally screwed. Even with the taxi direction sheet, I could not get A SINGLE CAB to take me to the place which got to be incredibly frustrating. The night I arrived I actually ended up walking, lost, over an hour from Khao San area all around Bangkok with all my heavy bags trying to find the hotel. It was awful, and if an english-speaking man hadn't seen me crying and walked me a long stretch of the way to the hotel I am not sure what would have happened. The rest of the trip, I took cabs or motorcycles back to the Khao San area and then just walked 20 more minutes north back to the hotel, since none of them were willing to try to find the hotel.

Secondly, someone else mentioned the mosquitos - it is insane! I didn't get bit at all in Lao or Cambodia, then come to Bangkok and my legs got murdered inside my own hotel, sitting in the internet area. They have an indoor/outdoor garden thing goign on, with beautiful plants and flowers around which look nice but must be a mosquito breeding ground. It was so crazy. I had so many bites all over my legs after my first night emailing down in the hotel computer area that I actually broke out in a horrible rash all over my legs.

Thirdly, my hot water did not work the whole time. I didn't even bother to complain about this since I felt bad for causing so many other problems, with needing laundry done and mosquito lotion and my problems with the hotel location. And cold showers aren't the worst thing in hot Bangkok. But still it was one other sort of frustrating factor.

Lastly I agree with those who say the price just seems too high for what you are getting. It is so far out of the way, and the breakfasts are good but fairly modest-sized. I am not sure why it costs 3x the guesthouses that are so much more centrally located.

I can see having a great experience here if you are okay with a more remote location and want to be away from the tourist scene....on the other hand, I thought I wanted that, and in fact the drawbacks proved a little much for even me.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank JDMBrooklyn
PhranakornNornlen, PN Gang at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2009
We're so sorry to hear the things you experienced were not so good...please feel free to let us know if any help needed on your next arrival in Thailand. We also hope you have a good health and wealth, and lastly, thanks so much for your review.
Tauranga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2009

We stayed at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel with our 4 month old baby for 4 nights last September. What a wonderful spot. We were given such a wonderful welcome and felt like celebrities with our little girl. She was very welcome there. We LOVED the decor and the atmosphere. It was like a breath of fresh air after the chaos of Bangkok streets. We had great food and juices from the kitchen. The views from the roof garden were great, especially at night! Another highlight was the massage! We could have massages downstairs in the dayroom off the courtyard, with our baby monitor next to us, while our daughter slept happily in her little cot in our room. (the cot was provided for us too! We were also offered hot water and a little basin to bathe her as the rooms only had showers.) Another nice touch was a bottle of iced water each after we'd organized ourselves to leave and loaded up the taxi on the last day. We'd recommend this place to everyone! It was great!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank GMCTauranga
PhranakornNornlen, PN Gang at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2009
Dear Guests, thank you for your review. We hope to serve you again next time when your kid grow up :D
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

What can I say that hasn't already been said? This hotel is a true gem, an oasis of calm and peace in a crazy-busy city. We stayed in two different rooms (at the beginning and end of our trip) and I really liked them both. Clean, comfortable, big bathroom, lovely terrace overlooking the courtyard. The service was super friendly, professional, and warm. We felt at home right away. One could while away lots of time here and it would be wonderful. The food was also very good. And those smoothies!!! The best in SE Asia, in my opinion. Highly recommend and can't wait to return!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Emiana, first of all, let us say thank you for choosing stay with us and also for your beautiful review :) Please feel free to let us know if any special requets you may have on your next arrival in Thailand.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

I can't recommend staying at this beautiful gem of a hotel more. After only reading good reviews of this place we thought it seemed maybe it was too good to be true... it was better! Completely crazy it was rustic french farmhouse meets Alice in Wonderland. We were greeted by welcome drinks and delicious food, suggestions of what to do that we wouldn't have thought of, little perks such as free wifi and afternoon green tea. Our room was clean, fresh and quirky. If only more hotels could be like this! The staff were so friendly, helpful and accommodating we could have stayed forever! Thank you for making our short but sweet stay in Bangkok even sweeter!

1 Thank holly6650
Dear Guests, thank you for your review, it's so lovely! Just hoping you can stay with us longer on your arrival in Thailand next time...to feel more slow-life in our PN, thank you again!
singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

Really quality service delivered from within by all staff here. I don't consider this place a commercial hotel. I felt truly cared for like a friend rather than some money spending tourist. The place is very charming and peaceful. For me, it's back to basics to enjoy & appreciate simple things around us.

Some gestures that touched me:
- a staff ran after a checked-out guest to outside the premises to hand him a bottle of complimentary mineral water
- knocked door to door to serve complimentary green tea in the afternoon
- missed having eggs for breakfast one morning and ordered 2 eggs off the breakfast menu. I was prepared to pay for them but was told it's FOC
and many more....

Thank you!

Dear HaganDazz
It's great to know you had lots of memorable in our PN and hope you also had a great time in Thailand. Thanks so much again for choosing us, take care :D
somerset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

We really, really loved this place right from the start! Really peaceful and magical with lots of quirky little details. You walk in through the gates and are immediately in a beautiful courtyard garden where there was a blackboard saying 'Welcome...' with our names on it. and when we checked in we were brought glasses of iced tea. The service was really friendly throughout our stay; our package included a free walking tour, when two lovely members of staff took us to a local market to taste various delicacies. (All the food we ate in the hotel's cafe was delicious too.) But for most of our (too short) stay in Bangkok we lazed about at the hotel, gently getting over the flight, as it was such a peaceful, relaxed and relaxing place. We didn't think we would like Bangkok as everyone said how noisy and busy it is, but we loved it and this place is why. We want to come back again and see more, and when we do we will definitely stay here!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank toastedteacakes
PhranakornNornlen, PN Gang at Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2009
Dear Guest, thank you for your review, it's so lovely ^3^
We're now finding new dishes for everyone, and hoping very much you can join and taste them on your next arrival in Thailand - please also feel free to let us know if any special requests you may have :)