“Great Atmosphere!”

Phranakorn-Nornlen Hotel
Ranked #4 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Can't remember the taxi cab fare, but it was pretty cheap and about a 20 minute ride. We arrived very late. The ringer is just to the left of the door on the upper side of the wall. The guest house is super cute! Free breakfast and lunch is included. Upon arrival, we received handmade soap and some refreshing drinks. Price was a bit more that the normal very cheap in Bangkok, but worth it. (3600baht per night, 2 rooms, 4 people) The rooms are clean, a few ants, bed is more comfortable than where I've stayed before. Very close to Kao Sahn Road. We took a very cheap and quick ride to Golden Mountain and also to the Grand Palace. From there we walked to Wat Pho and got a great massage (420baht) more than what I normally pay (150-300Baht) but totally worth it. But back to the guesthouse. They were VERY friendly, spoke excellent english, and were very helpful with information, maps, where to eat, transportation, etc. We had to catch an early morning bus to Kanchanaburi, they hailed cab for AND packed a lunch for us! I was so happy about that because we had to leave before their breakfast time. Their breakfast is a fixed set but very filling and yummy. They also have a washer (50baht) and dryer (10baht for 7min) with free homemade detergent for you to use. A shared fridge. I always bring earplugs with me so noise wasn't a problem. AC works fine, Wifi is strong. Def would stay here again! Thanks PN!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went to this hotel a few years ago. It was a time never to forget. I asked my girlfriend to marry me on the rooftop, where the staf prepared us wonderfull a meal. The paintings on the walls are nice, the staf is absolutly great, it felt like i knew them for ages. The rooms where clean. You can't compare them with the western 4star hotels, but still, they are very clean in our opinion. Be sure to try the dragon fruit smoothie, it's delicious. The garden is a great place to relax after a walk. It's a little oase in the crowded Bangkok.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hannesroets
Reviewed November 4, 2012

When you walk into this hotel, you know that you are in for a treat! My husband and I have done our fair share of traveling and 5 years after staying here we still talk about it! If we ever have a friend going to Bangkok we practically beg them to stay here. We are from America and honestly did not know what to expect with such a funny name and great price. We were blown away by this place. It was our first time to Bangkok and we were tempted to just stay at the hotel the entire trip! If you are looking for a charming, unique, once in a lifetime hotel experience this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Make sure to have a map to give taxi drivers because it is difficult to find if you are not familiar...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed here for two nights at the beginning of our holiday. We arranged an airport pick up through the hotel which went with no problems. We were on an early morning flight and had requested an early check-in and this didn't seem to be a problem as the room was ready for us. Breakfast is included and we also got vouchers for lunch and the food here is excellent. The only gripe, if any, is the air conditioning, not cool enough, but then again Bangkok can get very warm anyway. The hotel staff were excellent, very friendly and helpful. They also give you directions to the hotel to pass to your taxi/tuc-tuc driver (one of our tuc-tucs still got lost as hotel is on a small side street). Hotel is also around a 5-10 minute walk to the ferry port (great way to travel and see Bangkok, get to Grand Palace, Chinatown from here). Also, only a 20 minute walk to Khao San Road and Rambuttri Street where there's plenty of nightlife. Overall very nice place to stay, would recommend.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We have been there twice on our 2 month Trip through Thailand with our 2 small boys (age 2 and 4) in May and June. At the beginning, we stayed for 6 nights, at the end for only one more night before heading back home.
It's already a lot said in the previous reviews. It's just a very welcomig place, from the moment you arrive there till the last impression, everybody try's to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The staff makes this place to what it is; a very friendly and lovely place compared to the hustle and bustle outside in Bangkok.

The childrens play area is just great, with the additional sand-pit and a small childrens pool outside. The lovely and nicely decorated family- rooms, stunning bath decor. There are a lot of small details, which makes the life easier if you travel with small children, like hot water at self-service, baby bed and bed rails for free and washing machine for selfservice with offered laundry detergent etc.
With the green and safe patio suitable also for smaller children, a nice rootftopbar with the little rooftop farm and the rabbits (which our boys loved..). Food and also the smoothies are excellent at a reasonable price in a nice setting.
Location was ok for us, you have a lot to see and explore around the hotel, especially with small children. Went to the thewet markets, thewet pier from where you catch the boat to the other sights.
Minor point was only one loud aircon, which they couldn't fix in the time we were there and a lack of storage space in the room.

Big Thumbs up for the great effort they did when we had to catch a public taxi to get in time to the airport, when whole Bangkok was under heavy rain and the previously booked hotel taxi was stucked in a huge traffic jam, there where 5 of them helping us out at the street, amazing. Thanks again guys at PN for that and the great time we had at your place! Hope to see you again once.

Room Tip: triple and family rooms are great value
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank schtownie
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I was recommended this place from a friend at work and was not disappointed. From the cooking class, the speciality shop, the staff and the GREAT food, I had a great 3 nights here and would stay again when next in Bangkok.
I have already recommended to others..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Duds01
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I had an excellent stay! The hotel was a recommendation of a friend of mine. First I was not sure if I should really book it, because it was a little bit above average, but in the end it was worth it every single baht!!!
The place is hidden in a side road and therefore it is very quite. I was glad I printed out the map and decription the Hotel send me to give to the taxi driver. And I think he was glad as well, because it was in thai! The first thing I notice: the atmosphere is so nice! And the stuff is very nice, good english speaking and always willing to make your stay special. The rooms are all decorated individually and everything is very clean. I really loved the breakfast! And the good smell of the home-made products such as body lotion, soap and so on is still on my mind (or in my nose) while think about it.
I can really recommend the massage they offer. I enjoyed it twice :-)
I was planning to stay only 2 nights when I arrived in Bangkok, but after travelling through Thailand I decided to come back an enjoy another night at Phranakorn Norlen Hotel before flying back to Germany. The place is just PERFECT to calm down and relax after walking around in busy Bangkok.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo