“A HOTEL FOR DRUNKARDS”

Ranked #689 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Captain Cook, Hawaii
“A HOTEL FOR DRUNKARDS”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This hotel is the kind of place in Bangkok that you walk past and see old guys drinking beer at 8 am in the morning.The breakfast is ok the room is very worn.One of the drunks that was slurping up a brew at breakfast to us it was a favorite place of soldiers during Vietnam War .I think some of the never left the place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seamillfarmcom
RoyalIvory, Manager at Royal Ivory Sukhumvit Nana By Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Seamillfarmcom,

Thank you for reviewing Royal Ivory, we appreciate your opinion and hope to accommodate you again in near future. We are proud that many of our guests choose to stay with us because we are conveniently located near Bangkok's nightlife but also fair enough to provide a sense of privacy and security. We are glad that you enjoyed our Breakfast and happy to announce that the hotel has many upcoming projects to improve the room's aesthetic, some of which are; new blind out curtains, refurbishing wooden furniture, parkay wooden floors, and new sunbeds are being sourced for our recently fix swimming pool on the 3rd floor.

Lastly I would like to thank you again for staying at Royal Ivory :)

Royal Ivory

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have never been so disgusted with a hotel that I refused to stay there--at least, until I tried to stay at the Royal Ivory Hotel.

I did a lot of research on cheap hotels with pools in Bangkok and finally decided on the Royal Ivory. It looked great--good reviews, nice photos, a pool, great location, etc. I booked a non-smoking room directly through their website. When I arrived, the receptionist was rude and acted like we were bothering him just by checking in. He also informed me that despite my non-smoking reservation (through their own website!) there were no non-smoking rooms in the whole hotel. Not a good start.

Before I explain how bad the rooms were, keep in mind that I'm a young backpacker-type who has stayed in some pretty repulsive hostels. Hostels with serious cockroach and spider infestations, questionable stains on the bedding, no hot water, etc. This place was so bad that I refused to stay here. I think that speaks volumes.

The bellhop took us to our room, but the electricity didn't work so he took us to another room. The room was filthy; there were hairs all over the bathroom floor, shower, and sink. The were peanuts and other food debris on the floor. The table was sticky, and the whole room smelled musty and made it hard to breathe. We asked for another room. The next room was--if possible--even dirtier and smellier.

And last but not least, I went to check out the pool and found that it was closed. Not just closed for the night, but closed for the season. There was no water in it. No mention of that on the website.

After checking three or four rooms we decided not to stay at the Royal Ivory. The rude receptionist became downright nasty when we told him (very politely, as it wasn't his fault the rooms were dirty) that we had decided to leave. He refused to let us talk to his manager, and he insisted that because I had already paid in full through the online booking, I would not be getting my money back.

The only nice thing I can say about this place is that our bellhop was wonderfully polite, helpful, and apologetic about the state of the rooms. He even loaded up our luggage and took us to another hotel on his tuk-tuk, which was very nice of him.

I honestly do not understand how this place has such good reviews. The state of 'cleanliness' and our treatment by the receptionist were appalling.

Room Tip: I would choose another hotel. Don't stay here.
Dear AshtonWilliams,

First of all we truly apologies how our receptionist has been rude to you, for that I can assure you he will be disciplined. I am glad to hear that our bellboy's service has up to our standards. Again we have to apologies not have non-smoking room on the day, I can assure you that Royal Ivory has a 3 star standards when coming to cleanliness and we are surprise to get such review. I have discuss this with our Housekeeping manager and he would like to offer sincere apology for not being able to meet your standard.

I understand that being in Sukhumvit Soi 4 near the entertainment district is not the best place for families to stay hence the negative views towards the hotel as a whole. Because of this I always family guests who e-mail us to ask for advice and room rates.

Most of our good review comes our single, romantic couple and group travelers who find great comfort in centralize location of Royal Ivory where entertainment (pubs and bars) are nearby but far enough to provide privacy and convenience.

Management team

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Mumbai
Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you are planning for a family holiday in Bangkok & willing to pay a moderate price look no further. Very well located. Close to an Indian restaurant and if it happens that you only eat halal food there are plenty of restaurant in the same street & more across the other side as well. I traveled with my family & choose a King size room. The room was big, neat & clean. The staff was very friendly. The food served in breakfast was good. 7/11 & family mart are plenty around the hotel so you need not to worry about any goods you want to buy.
Make your booking at this hotel online it will be a much cheaper deal rather than walk in. I was charged 1700 baht per night including breakfast but I have no complaint.

Dear Ali_Shaikh,

Thank you for reviewing Royal Ivory Nana 4 and for sharing such memorable photographs with us. We enjoyed having your family here with us and please let us know if there is anything we could do you for in the future. You can also reach us via e-mail from our website or just e-mail us at reservations@royalivory.com. The hotel always has best rate for direct bookings.

Thank you for choosing Royal Ivory and hope to accommodate you again in the future.

Royal Ivory Team
Private
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I completely agree with previous reviewers that the hotel is not bad, but you don't want to stay. The two main reasons is the battered appearance of the rooms and the service. Prior to booking this hotel, I had chosen four options with almost identical profiles: affordable, good location and positive reviews. I selected Royal Ivory, because previous reviewers insinuated that areas of improvement had been addressed. That was not true.

Next time, I will stay at the other three options: Smart Suties, Ibis Bangkok Nana Hotel and Bally's Studio Suites , or chose from the large selection of similar lodgings listed online. There are way to many other places in Bangkok that are affordable, ideal location and highly reviewed to settle for Royal Ivory.

Specifically, the hotel lobby and restaurant were well maintained, but the room was not. I ended up seeing two rooms and both showers had significant mold build up. I never saw that again for the remainder of my 5 week travel in southeast Asia. The mirrors in the second room were marred with black streaks. There was water damage and other faulty parts to the walls that were only highlighted with a fresh coat of paint. Their is also a steady traffic of tropical Palmetto roaches.

The staff is not interested in providing information for navigating the city and only peddles overpriced tours. They offer a half day temple tour with three stops. I left late in the day and managed to see 5 temples using the rail and waterway during low season. The bellhop could not speak or understand English. Yet, he gestured to me instructions written in English on how to use the key card and then expected a tip. In fact, he tended to expect a tip for anything he did. Finally, the hotel allows cab drivers to overcharge their guests. I took the rail from the airport and caught a cab for the half mile to the hotel. That cost me under a 100 baht and struggling down a flight of stairs. The drivers out front were charging upwards of 600 baht. I haggled them down to 300 baht on the return trip. If I was able to lug my bag to the main street, I could have flagged a metered taxi for less than half of that cost.

Don't waste your money, select a different location,

Room Tip: For a quiet request to the back of the hotel where there is second elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CuriousTrvl
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed September 28, 2013 via mobile

This place ticked all the boxes without being exceptional at anything. Big & clean room, coldest ac I've come across (if wanted), hot water shower, good location for Sukhumvit entertainment & shopping, breakfast buffet was fair, & staff were friendly. Only negatives: but run down in parts & pool seems to be permanently out of action

• Stayed September 2013
kolkata
Reviewed September 20, 2013

plz never go to this hotel.. its located in red light area soi 4 with all the wrong pubs and brothels.
hotel is very bad with no room service and no vegetarian breakfast.. in my superior room everything was broken from shower panel to tap and bed. i had to go lobby to get cup or coffee,. there is no room service.. only few staff who does all the stiff.. no tuk tuk or taxi want to go to this area. hotel staff are rude and never help the tourist

Room Tip: dont choose this hotel and this area (soi 4)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
RoyalIvory, Manager at Royal Ivory Sukhumvit Nana By Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear honey1710,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience. We understand that because the hotel is situated in the wrong location (near clubs and bars) your whole experience of Bangkok was ruined and for that we truly apologize.

We do have room service and sure enough we only have 1 very hard working and diligent restaurant attendant who does this job at night.

The hotel does cater for vegetarian guests and we are very sorry we did not get the opportunity to serve you our local vegetarian meal. Please notify our team of this preference upon check-in or at least 24 hours in advance so we can arrange this for you in the future.

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our complimentary instant coffees provided in the rooms and had to come down for coffee during buffet breakfast time. There are always taxis outside the hotel. The hotel sincerely wish you best of wishes and hope you find the right spot of your liking during your next vacation. For family and new couples I personally recommend do not recommend staying in Nana or Silom as these two district is and hotels around them however nice is located near Bangkok's redlight district which as you pointed out easily ruin the holiday experience.

Royal Ivory Nana 4 Team
Phornthep S.
Sunbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The good

Excellent location very central not far from Nana BTS yet fairly quiet rooms.

Very large rooms

Lovely clean sheets and towels

Decent breakfast

Friendly staff

The bad

Could be cleaner - very dusty windows and curtains looked grubby.

Bathrooms need basic maintenance - ceiling was badly stained and the grouting in tiles mouldy.

We booked a non smoking room however it had been used by smokers as there was a smell of cigarettes in the room which seemed to be from soft furnishings. Sorry guys but us non smokers can smell this a mile off and non smoking room should mean just that !!!!

The swimming pool was out of order or maintenance however there was never any sign of anyone doing maintenance on it - it was empty and starting to gather leaves !!!

The other odd thing was the lift which appeared to have a mind of its own. You pressed 3 it stopped at floor 4 according to the display but was actually at the correct floor . It also needs a makeover of the flooring as it appears to be down to rusty metal .

Attention to the above points would make this hotel first rate however until these are addressed it would only ever be just ok .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple