“Good for backpackers”

Rambuttri Village Inn & Plaza
Ranked #282 of 881 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The rooms are very basic and small. Good for people who only need a bed and shower.
The location is ok; it is near Khao San road and a temple. It is very crowded over there.
I booked for 2 nights but did stay only one night.
Not that the hotel was that bad, but I'm used to a little more luxury, and I didn't like all the young people crowding the whole place.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Rambuttri Village Inn & Plaza

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel from England having never been to Thailand before. I didn't know what to expect and for what worked out to be £16 a night I did't expect much. To my enjoyment the hotel was very nice and staff were very helpful. The rooms were clean with a tv, safe and a/c. I believe some rooms have fridges too. The bathroom was a spacious wet room type. Only a couple of minutes walk from the famous Khao San Road, the location was prime! Located set just back from Soi Rambuttri it was fairly well protected from the Main Streets noise and partiers. There was a 7-11 right outside, a selection of restaurants, travel shops and an Internet cafe just outside the entrance in the square. With many, many more bars, restaurants and shops, not to mention more street food and market stalls you could count on the Main Street outside the square. I will be going back here as a first couple of nights in Bangkok as its fairly cheap and nice. The pool on the roof was clean and tidy too which helped to cool down on some of the warmer afternoons.

Jack - UK

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Hmmm, not a worst places we have been to, but the receptionists were not the friendliest ... somehow arrogant, anyway, I am not travelingto be upset by bad receptionists, the room was okay, after first day, we left little cash in the room and I must say the rooms was perfectly cleaned for the rest od our stay ... The location is just perfect, you are in the middle of everything.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This review is meant to be a warning notice for any independent traveler that have choosen this hotel as an option to stay.

We (my wife, 2 years old sun, 4 years old daugther and me) were travelling from Cambodia to Bangkok. We knew we were arrived late, so to be safe we decided to book a hotel online.

Unfortunally we have choosen the wrong hotel. Here is what happend to us:

We arrived to the hotel just before midnight, after travelling the whole day 12 hours from Cambodia. Once we got to the hotel, we were asked to pay before go to the room and to leave a depocit key.

We used booking.com for the booking and they already had our credit card on their file so I asked to please to charge my credit card for both the night and the depocit key. They refused to do so by asking to pay the depocit key in cash ( thai money). I exlained we just got to the country and didn't have thai money yet that if they want me to pay with thai money for the depocit key ( wich was around 9 usd) they can wait until the morning.

Of course they refused it in a very rude manner, they laugh being sarcastic saying that we were in thailand and we need thai money. They said that I need to go out to find an ATM and get some cash for the security depocit.

At this point I knew I was done a very bad choice by choosing this hotel. All this happen around 12:30am at night after travelling 12 hs staright from the cambodia border. So if you did something like that you can picture yourself the situation.

I went out, walked few blocks, did not take any cash, went back to the hotel and said that if they do not want to charge my credit card for the security depocit or wait until the next day we will have no choice than leave.

They start screeming calling the security guard asking me to pay full price for that night because I already had the room key (I had the key for litteraly 40 minutes, even that the way they were comunicating was far from be emocionally stable).

At that point they assaulted us and detained us from leaving by trying to hold our 2 and 4 year old captive in their stoller not letting me leave with them. The security waived a police stick in front of them and they both were scared and crying.

Other tourists helped us to leave. We reported the assault to the US embassy and to booking.com

We are still asking to booking.com to remove this hotel from the list.

We have been travelling for many years, we have been in more than 30 counties but we have never experince something like that before.

I do think is unfair for many others good hotels with very friendly staff (and for all of us who usually book hotels online) that this hotel still has access to be listed in many online websites such as booking.com.

If we were walking in to this hotel to book a room intead of using an online website, we were never ever spent more than two minutes there since you can easily 'feel' the vibe of this place when walking in.

That human 'feel' you have when you walk in to a hotel and 'see' if all will work for you is imposible to get it when booking online.

It would be of much help if you can spread this review and ask to booking.com to delete this hotel from their list, this way you can also help to avoid this happen again to anybody. It was really the most horrible eperience we had ever had.

Pablo Garcia

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank PabloAGarcia
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Really didn't know what to expect for a cheap city hotel with rooftop pool, but was pleasantly surprised. The room was basic but clean and was a good base to explore and you only have to walk outside to get a wide range of fruit shakes, street food, restaurants and bars. Easy to get a tuk tuk or walk down Khaosan road if you like. The best part was definitely the rooftop pool though, not massive but clean and a nice area to lounge in the sun and away from the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cazngal
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I arrived with my friend and my two children. One of my children was sick because of food poisoning but they refused to let us have the rooms I had booked until I paid for a room I had cancelled 3 weeks before. What kind of person would blackmail the parent of a sick child?? Yes, you've guessed it - any member of the Rambuttri Village Inn reception staff. The more desperate you are the more they will enjoy torturing you. In the UK it would be called racism...

If you want to be treated like a dog by their staff and be ripped off then stay here. Otherwise, do yourself a massive favour and every other traveller and stay somewhere else because this place is an insult to travellers and also the Thai people.

The attitude of the staff give Thai people a terrible name and I am amazed they haven't been shut down by the Thai Government on the grounds that the staff's attitude destroys the image of the normally very friendly and curtious Thai people.

I booked 4 rooms a month before arriving and cancelled one of the rooms online 3 weeks before arriving at this hotel. When I arrived they said they had no record of my cancellation and I was basically forced into paying for the cancelled room otherwise I could not have any of the rooms.

They were incredibly rude and we were also threatened by a member of staff with the police if we did not pay up for the cancelled room. Need I say more?

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ChrisEeeKay
Reviewed March 26, 2013

A big budget hotel in Rambuttri Soi. This street is a quieter and nicer version of Kao San Road. I stayed 3 times in this hotel: at the beginning of my travel, once passing thru from North-Thailand and at the end of my holiday. I find it a very good hotel for what you pay. Rooms are good, WiFi works OK and you have a hot shower. Considered that you are staying in a busy street, I never had problem with noise in my room. Be aware that some rooms can only be reached by stairs and not by elevator. If you want to stay in this part of town, this is a good place to stay.

For me the girls at the reception were friendly, but they have to work fast because it is coming of going of tourists. When I arrived the first time at 10:00 pm, there was still a row of 10 people before me to check in. It is a very popular hotel, a reservation is advisable

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms can only be reached by stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business