“So beautifull Island”

Ranked #111 of 558 things to do in Bangkok
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“So beautifull Island”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have been there for three nights it made me so fresh and good feeling for our holiday in Thailand. I strongly recommend this island for your holiday in Thailand and hope to come back soon.

Visited October 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Nice but far from great”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

It's a bit of an effort to reach it but to me it was part of the fun, the river ride plus the public transportation.
We where almost the only none Thai visitors on the week end, it's a small island full with shops across the route that have really low prices for food and other small souvenir.
I didn't find this location as special or unique, its off the normal route and more quite then the usual Bangkok visiting location but that's it.
One warm recommendation - we have taken a traditional Thai foot massage neat the main trample that was really really good, will contribute to the relaxing atmosphere :)

Visited November 2013
Chicago, Illinois
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Escape within the city of Bangkok”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Koh Kred is an island in the Chao Praya River. The Mon (sp?) people live here and are famous for making elaborately decorated ceramics. Apparently if you go on a weekend, you will enjoy the weekend market and the island is quite crowded. I went on a Thursday and had the whole place to myself. We may have seen 20 locals, if that. We talked with and watched a man carving the lid of a pot - so intricate, very interesting to see how he did it. We visited some other potters doing different things, although for the most part, the island seemed pretty deserted and most of the "factories" were empty. At one point, we discovered a lady making fried bananas and sweet potatoes - delicious! If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle and seeing a view of Bangkok that has mostly disappeared, I highly recommend visiting Koh Kred. If you go early enough, you can apparently take a boat all the way there as some of the morning and evening Chao Praya boats do go to Koh Kred. We took quite a long taxi ride and then a boat to cross the river -- it gave me an opportunity to see a lot of Bangkok, which was also enjoyable. I would plan about 3 to 4 hours for this excursion.

Visited September 2013
3 Thank Helen K
Tel Mond
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wonderful crafts, particularly pottery”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Koh Kred is a less known attraction in Bangkok but well worth the trip! It's a wonderful little island in the middle of the river where people display and sell all sorts of arts and crafts - from clothing, to handmade sweets/desserts, to pottery and so on.

The pottery is most skillfully made, especially if you walk further into the market and find the master craftsman working away in his large shop, filled with wonderful pieces. I've bought two lanterns there (on two different trips so I could take them in my hand luggage to ensure that they don't break on the way home due to mishandling) and many smaller pieces. They are wonderful and add lots of atmosphere to any room.

One tip - bring or buy a handheld fan - it's very hot there.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank omrini
802 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 923 helpful votes
“Escape the city”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Koh Kret is a great place for a visit, especially if you don't have a great deal of time, but want to escape the hussle, bustle, and heat of the Big Mango. You get a taste or more rural life on the island and interesting opportunities to observe pottery making. Always enjoyable to walk or rent bikes for leisurely circle route around the island. A highlight for us is always to buy fruit slurpies or soft drinks served in small clay pots that you get to keep! Very inexpensive, but very cool!

Visited December 2012