“Nice Hotel, bad location”

Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia
Ranked #468 of 890 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We have just spent 3 nights at the Eugenia. The hotel itself is beautiful with a colonial feel but the rooms felt like they needed a bit of an update. The staff were kind and helpful and breakfast was delicious. However, this hotel is a good 45 minute drive from the river and the centre of Bangkok which we found to be a real problem, particularly given Bangkok's traffic. If you don't want to be in the centre of Bangkok this is a great place to stay however if you are there for a couple of days and want to see the cites you would be better staying more centrally.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Compass H, General Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Olive 1993,

You please the chef, staff and I with your kind words of praise: The staff were kind and helpful and breakfast was delicious.

Sadly seems, like most of us, you were entangled in Bangkok’s multitude of vehicles. Though originally the center of the city was formed next to river, nowadays is it is the remote area with,
unfortunately, no public transportation as Metro or Sky train so many Bangkok guests have to reach it by bus or taxi.

Therefore the center of the city was moved to Sukhumvit area with all the happenings and easy transportation access. The Eugenia Hotel & Spa is situated on Sukhumvit Soi 31 with just only a short walk from main Metro and Sky Train intersection from which our guests have an easy access to all.

Please at all times feel you may e-mail me personally when you have any input, suggestions or ideas at: gm@theeugenia.com

Thank you again for your review!

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at the Eugenia early April with our three kids, age 3,5 and 8 and it was really wonderful. The house feels like like a home and we loved the intimate atmosphere that it has. The rooms are beautiful and as we had interconnecting rooms, it felt like we had a whole apartment of space. Breakfast was GREAT, and so were the afternoon snacks by the pool and the dinner in the evening. The kids loved to cool off in the small but great pool after a hot day in the city while we enjoyed a nice crisp glass of white wine. Everybody of the staff was very helpful and friendly. So if you are looking for something different from the big, unpersonal hotels and you like authenticity then this is your place!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear WendydePlaa,

You make all the staff, chef and I full of pride at your most kind words—Thank You.

Kindly, know that our aim is fulfill all our esteemed guests’ desires so that all will feel part of our Eugenia Caring Family.

You and your family are most WelCome back anytime to your Home, The Eugenia Mansion, in Bangkok!

Reviewed April 4, 2013

At first, I was reluctant to go to bangkok to accompany my husband....but after surfing the Internet...then I come across this small beautiful hotel with so many great reviews........and I started to dig for more...and the more I read the more I fell in love with the Euginea even before going ......we stayed in 2 other hotel/b&b khlong house......and finally into the Eugenia......yes it does impress me.....the rooms, the food and the ambience..........the moment we enter the Euginea room....so many things that I love.....the details make me excited......the staff, Tul was very helpful.....but I would love if the staff can at least call us by our name.....just like any other luxury hotel we stayed for example the Danna in Langkawi......that's all of my sincere review......

Room Tip: Luv the breakfast......and room 202 is quieter than 201......
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MaiMini
Eugenia-HM, General Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear MaiMini,

You are greatly Thanked for your kind words, particularly “yes it does impress me.....the rooms, the food and the ambience”!

Kindly know, here in The Eugenia, the staff and I feel all our esteemed guests are our honored family and we desire to make your stay comfortable and special.

Thank you also for also for your suggestion about calling by name. WelCome again Khun (Thai term of respect) MaiMini and you will be called by name.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Great boutique hotel with lots of colonial character. The front desk staff tries very hard to be helpful and responsive; they assisted us with reservations, provided local recommendations, and made sure our cab drivers actually knew where they were going (though they did not succeed in fixing a broken safe or faulty shower-head during our three day stay.) Lovely pool and welcoming bar area. It's possible to order breakfast a la carte if not included with your room package, though the coffee is expensive and can add up. Alternately, there are a number of cafes within a 5-10 minute walk. Wifi is available but slow and somewhat spotty.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Eugenia-HM, General Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Natasha96,

You please us very much with your kind words about the staffs helpfulness and concern plus that The Eugenia is the Great boutique hotel with lots of colonial character —Thank You!

Also Thanks for your appreciation of The Eugenia’s lovely pool and welcoming bar area.

Please know that all the staff and I here feel like our esteemed guests are our family whom we desire to please.

Thank you for bringing to my attention the items which need mending. Welcome visit us again and you will see that all has been attended to!

Kindly at all times feel you may e-mail me personally when you have any input, suggestions or ideas at: gm@theeugenia.com

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We had a great time at the Eugenia Bangkok due to staff flexibility. My daughter was too sick to
take the promotional tour included with our room and when the hotel manager found out we were given a complimentary ride around the city in the hotel's vintage car. My daughter was in heaven and I was impressed by the service and attentiveness to our needs. Besides this, the pool and rooms represent a unique oasis in this bustling city. The Eugenia with it's antique charm is located in an interesting part of town, good for boutique type shopping.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a good AC unit.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Eugenia-HM, General Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear JohnDurant52,

You touch our hearts very much with your kind words about our staffs’ help—Thank You!

We are very Happified to learn that your daughter was in heaven and that you enjoyedThe Eugenia’s antique charm and proximity to boutique shopping.

Kindly know that I and my team are always trying to not only please but also increase service to our esteemed guests

Please always feel you may e-mail me personally when you have any input, suggestions or ideas at: gm@theeugenia.com

Big hellow to you daughter! Tell her when she gets you to bring her to visit us again here in The Eugenia I will try to arrange another ride in our vintage Mercedes Benz.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I arrived at 7 a.m. after a 24 hour flight. My luggage was missing somewhere between Dusseldorf and Rome. Somewhat surprised when I arrived at the hotel as it isn't on the nicest of streets. Walked into the lobby and was very impressed. Feels like you're back in another era. The decor is eclectic. All of the staff is charming and go out of their way to cater to your needs. My room wasn't ready but they gave me access to another room to have a shower and a bit of a rest. The spa opened at 10 and a four hour treatment did a world of good at helping to get over jet lag. The complimentary breakfast was very good. I'd heartily recommend this hotel to people who want something different. Certainly not a Sheraton or a Hilton experience-----you can get that anywhere. Only thing to be aware of are the floors that can cause splinters if you're not careful

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank scollinson79
Eugenia-HM, General Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Scollinson79,

Your taking the time to post your words of praise for The Eugenia is greatly appreciated by my team and I who always feel that our guests are “Family” and we are honored by your visit and kind words—Thank You!

You being very impressed when you walked into our mansion and felt like you were transported into another era is exactly the kind of relaxation for which we strive. In addition, we are very happified that out spa treatment that helped you over your jet lag.

As the leader of the Eugenia team let me assure you we are very much dedicated to seeing that our valued Guests have all they want when staying with us in the greatest comfort!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Sadly what could be almost a perfect boutique hotel is fraying round the edges. The good news is that the staff are excellent, the food is good and value for money, the public areas are charming and there is a lovely courtyard with a swimming pool - sadly, overlooked by a block of flats but very pleasant as the sun starts to set. Our room could have been wonderful - full of period colonial ambience but now rather run down, poorly decorated, with lots of niggly things wrong including a/c which made you think you were sleeping beside a working jet engine!
Outside was a terrace with a broken lounger and not much else where we had to sit on our first night as the hotel was hosting a teenage party and we were told that there was nowhere else and by the way we couldn't have a meal either - not a good start.
Help may be at hand - the hotel has just appointed a new Manager who listened carefully to our comments and hopefully has enough about her to start sorting things out. So who knows ... it may turn into a new beginning.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank JandPEngland
Eugenia-HM, General Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear JandPEngland,

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment and for your generous praise of our staff, food, public areas and lovely courtyard!

Yes, the good news is that we are initiating a program of improvements for all the small items you mentioned and hoping that you will soon again be our honored return guest to enjoy the remedies and our friendly Colonial Era Tranquility in the heart of Bangkok.

Please feel free to contract me directly by e-mail if you have and more sage suggestions or questions—your input is most welcome! gm@theeugenia.com

The entire Eugenia team and I are eager to please and are looking to serving you again soon!