“A Great Place in Centre of Bangkok”

Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia
Ranked #439 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Eugenia is located in the centre of Bangkok which is easy for travelling. The hotel is very nice, clean and staffs are very friendly and helpful. I feel like I'm at home and private when i come to this place. Also the restaurant and service are very good. This place is another perfect place to hang out with friends and family. Recommended!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Eugenia-HM, Hotel Manager at Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2012

Dear ssmay,

Thank you for such a lovely feedback off the hotel.

We cannot thank you enough. On behalf of the team, I am happy to know that the product, service and food were up to your expectations. This has been shared with the whole team to further encourage them.

It was a pleasure to have been able to served you and we hope to see you the next time in Bangkok again. The team looks forward to your return!

There are newer reviews for Asia Herb Association Spa Auberge Eugenia

Reviewed July 12, 2012

This hotel is a disgrace. Its very high rack rate, relais chateaux badge and clever marketing/pictures tricked me into thinking this was a luxury 5 star boutique hotel.

I do agree with the moniker "old world charm" and also can say that the dinner was very high quality (mind you, it should be for that price - most expensive meal I've had in 1 year of working in Bangkok), however the rooms are that of a basic 3 star guesthouse, and in many ways, not even that good.

The service was friendly and smily (which is true for every hotel in Thailand), but not up to 5* standards, for example the hotel is quite hard to find and my taxi driver couldn't find it. When I called the main number to get directions, nobody answered the phone - 3 times.

My room was tiny, with one small window looking onto a wall, the cheapest ironing board I've ever used, which collapsed when I tried to move it, a TV whose picture quality and sound is the lowest I've experienced in about 10 years, and an impractically small shower.

There has been no thought to soundproofing, so you can easily hear people coming and going in the adjacent rooms, and cars and motorbikes passing in the street. Worst of all, when I turned on the prehistoric aircon it sounded like a jet engine with an intermittent rattle, which made it almost impossible to sleep.

In the morning I found myself (and wife) covered in bites (bedbugs not mosquitoes).

Perhaps worst of all, when I asked to see the manager to complain, I was told he was not working that day. The Supervisor? Not in until later in the afternoon. I told the staff that I had barely slept that night, and would be itching for the next 3 days due to the bites, and they just smiled. I asked for the manager to contact me and as I write this review, 5 days later, I've had no apology or follow-up. They just happily took my money and let me check out, two days earlier than scheduled.

I have stayed in many Relais Chateaux hotels in Europe and always had an amazing experience. I wonder who bribed who to get this hotel into the club?

If I had more time I would sue this hotel to get my money back.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Andrew K
Management response:Responded July 13, 2012

Dear Andrew K,

As the manager of The Eugenia, I am always very sorry when a guest is not able to fully experience the wonders of our hotel as we try our best to ensure the highest satisfaction.

However, we appreciate the efforts and time you have given to write us a feedback.

In all the years that our hotel has been operating, we have not had a single issue in terms of bed bugs. I ensure you and confidently refute the fact that it does not exist. As the surroundings of the hotel is planted with many trees and plants combined with the rainy season, we in fact lately have many mosquitoes. Other guests have also informed us and we do provide mosquito coils and patches for the guest use.

In regards to your query about looking for me, I apologized. It was a Sunday morning and I was off at church. The front office supervisor was the one that sent you off with the taxi but you did not mention anything to her and the staff besides the mosquito bites you personally claimed it was. I would and will definitely reply to all enquiries and feedback if any.

We are always very interested in customers criticism and feedback. It is always treated seriously and we constantly look for ways to improve our product and service.

It is always uncomfortable to be criticized harshly but I believe that the other recent reviews can speak for itself. We will continue to improve ourselves each day to be better service providers to the future guest. I thank you for giving us the opportunity to grow and improve.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We are a travelling couple from Hong Kong and decided to pop by Bangkok on our last leg of our holiday around South East Asia.
We started off at Laos,Hanoi, Cambodia, Koh Samui and lastly in Bangkok. Our friends recommended us to stay at The Eugenia for a unique experience.
My partner and I were both blown away by The Eugenia! It is definitely a hotel but at the same time a home.

At first, it took us some time to find the hotel. The taxi driver did not really know where it was and it took us an additionally 20 minutes to reach the hotel.
Upon arrival, the security guard ushered us in and we were greeted by the John and a front office girl. We were quickly whisked away to the lounge where we had refreshing
fresh coconuts. It was particularly cooling because Bangkok is so hot. After giving our passports and registering, John took us up immediately to our room. Along the way he gave us a tour of the hotel and its history. You must see the huge bugs collection at the staircase!! Once we arrived in our Siam Suite, we were taken a back to 50 years ago where houses in the village looked like. The floors creaked when walked upon and we just enjoyed every furniture in the room.

We slept like babies that night and enjoyed the bed although it is high off the ground. We used these cute chairs for children as a step to go up the bed. Breakfast was very good !!! The food was served fresh upon order.

We cannot disagree with the previous Tripadvisor Reviews of John, the hotel manager. He is a young man but eager to serve. He is so sweet with his personalized hand written welcome letters that he gives to all guest upon arrival. I believe that with more training and practice the service of the staff can only get better. My partner and I truly enjoyed our stay although short and we will definitely be back in the future.

Please thank your team for the wonderful stay John.

Room Tip: Zheng He Lounge food!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Daniel K,

Thank you for taking your time to write such an amazing review of our hotel.

It is reviews like this that make us proud to be in the hospitality. We are truly happy to have been able to meet all your expectations and created a memorable experience for you. I have shared your comments to the whole team of Eugenia and commented on their job well done. The team and I are certainly encouraged.

In regards to your kind words, I am thankful and certainly bless to be able to do what I love. Once again, we are grateful for the both of you and look forward to welcoming the both of you back next time!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

I enjoyed staying at the Eugenia, the staff was extremely helpful and the service was great, all in all everything worked perfectly. Great vibe and atmosphere too. On the breakfast, the best is the Eggs Benedict, some of the other choices are not as brilliant (but definitely edible). Recommended.

Room Tip: The rooms on the front balcony are great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Gil S,

Many thanks for your efforts in writing us a feedback!

It was a pleasure for the team and myself to have served you. We certainly strive our very best to provide the best service that we possibly can and I am happy to hear that you are satisfied.
I have encouraged my team on the job well done and to keep up the good work.

In regards to the breakfast menu, I have passed on your feedback to our head chef. We will definitely review it together and see how we can improve.

Thank you once again and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

I have no idea why the Eugenia is not that a bomb among other hotels in Bangkok. It should have been super duper hip place to hang around in Bangkok. I first heard of the Eugenia on Dita Von teese's interview about her best vacation and mentioning an amazing boutique hotel called The Eugenia driving her around Bangkok and to the airport in fabulous 1940s cars from their collection of vintage Jaguars and Mercedes. How awesome is that! So I planned to host my birthday party there and it turned out to be one of the most memorable birthday parties of my life. The decoration of the private room is splendid with french colonial ornaments. There were very few people there which made it very secluded and exclusive to hang out with your special friends. The food there are amazing with french fusion cuisine that reminds me of good days in Paris. The chefs are not only excellent with their talents but also generous to create the birthday cake for me with lavender chocolate brownie in a mushroom decoration. It melt in the mouth and I dare say it was one of the best cakes my friends and I have had tried. I really recommended this hotel for your consideration on luxury vintage holiday style in Bangkok. Every baht you splurge on would not be a waste.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 8, 2012

Dear monrawee,

What a zestful and encouraging feedback you have written for us! It is indeed a proud moment for our hotel when Dita Von Teese mentioned the Eugenia as her favourite hotel in Bangkok.

We are most delighted to hear that you had a fantastic birthday party here in our colonial home. I am glad that we were part of a very significant moment in your life and everyhing turned out just the way you wanted. I have pass your encouraging feedback to my executive Chef and his team for the job well done.

Once again, I thank you for choosing us. The entire team of Eugenia is so thankful and appreciative of the kinds words you have generously attached us with.

Here is to a great year of getting older and to many more fantastic birthdays!
We look forward to having you again next year for your birthday ;)

Reviewed July 1, 2012

Overall experience was a good stay trip at this hotel with my partner recently. Also, a very wonderful experience location in the heart of bangkok city centre. What i like about this hotel is that it is amazing with the colonial style design especially the vintage car, lobby and restaurant decor art. I love it! It makes me feel special staying here with the different unique design.

The GM - John was very friendly and speaks fluent english. He was very helpful to offer some places to visit and to dine around too. The rest of the hotel staff was not too bad but certain staff attitude can be further improve. Perhaps attending more excellent service course training will be an added value to the staff as hospitality line speaks on serving from
the heart.

I will recommend this hotel to my friends & family or people whom would like to stay something different in a boutique style. Definitely will return again. :)

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank NatNg
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear NatNg,

Thank you for your review and thank you for your kind words to our product and service.
We are happy to know that you and your partner enjoyed this colonial home.

I appreciate your kind words towards me. Allow me some time to continue to train and improve my staff in regards to your feedback. I have already mentioned to all departments about this. It is indeed a timely reminder to serve with our hearts.

If there is anything at all for your friends and family that I can assist, do not hesitate to contact me at hm@theeugenia.com. I will be more than willing to help in any way possible.

Look forward to your return the next time you are in Bangkok!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

Spent our two last nights of our 3 weeks vacation here - it was perfect! Great service (thank you John and your staff..), great rooms and bathrooms, the pool area is lovely and the food good. When stepping into Eugenia it's like you are miles away from the big city. It feels like a home away from home! The place to stay whenever in Bangkok.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded July 1, 2012

Dear suphak p,

Its great to know that you have arrived safely back after a long but adventurous holiday. We are so happy to see your feedback on our service and product.

The team and myself are encouraged by the kinds words you have shared. We will continue to do our best to provide our best to all our future guest.

It was a pleasure to have been able to host and serve you. We look forward to having you back at The Eugenia in the future!