Ascott Sathorn Bangkok
$70
Trip.com
$121
$77
All reviewsliving roomempire toweramazing gymwashing machineserviced apartmentchong nonsi bts stationwell equipped kitchenlaundry roomfull kitchendining tablehealth landhealth clubbusiness districtone bedroom apartmentconvenience storehome away from homebusiness trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed here from 27 Dec - 2 Jan to witness the countdown celebrations in Bangkok. Prime reason for choosing this property was its proximity to Chong Nonsi station, and the fact that it's an Ascott property, a Singapore hospitality brand (I have stayed in many Ascott properties), so I assumed there should be some service standards.
But boy was I wrong. We arrived early in the morning on 27 Dec around 10am, and was told that the room was not ready. There were 2-3 counter staff milling around, and when we asked one of them if we can have an early check-in, or at least put us in another room category for the time being (we have booked a Premium Studio), the staff we spoke to turned to the supposed manager behind her, and asked her in Thai. The manager frowned and shook her head, while her eyes were glued to the screen. We were the only ones checking in, by the way. There was no attempt to make eye contact, smile, or even offer a simple "Welcome". By contrast, the concierge staff was much friendlier and brought along two welcome drinks, but we got the feeling that we were bothering the counter staff from whatever they were doing.
On the second night around 9pm, I found that the nose bridge of my specs was broken; I left in on the toilet sink before leaving the room, and when I came back it was in a different position, broken. I called the duty manager and said I needed to talk to housekeeping but was told they were off for the day. The next morning, I called again and was told that the chambermaid didn't see any specs in our room. I complained, and they summoned the Housekeeping Manager who brought along the chambermaid who cleaned my room on that night. The Manager asked the chambermaid in Thai and told me the same thing - she didn't see any specs in my room. At that point in time, I lost it and said, "So now it's my word against your chambermaid's word now? Are you saying that I am lying?" The manager said, no of course not, and offered to repair the specs (the nose bridge was glued back but still came off, eventually, when I returned home).
On the third night, we bought some drinks and asked for a bucket of ice. When it came, it came with a price tag of 50 baht. Though the amount is small, this is probably the first time I was charged for a bucket of ice. Though the price was not communicated to me over the phone, I paid anyway.
On the last day of check-out, I waited in front of the counter, trying to get eye contact from one of the 3 staff who were glued to their screens. One of them looked at me and I said, "can I check out?", and she nodded as if she was giving permission. After the payment was made, again there was no "thank you", "hope to see you again" etc. I had to say, "Is that all?" to make the staff acknowledge my presence. No acknowledgement of the specs incident, no attempt at apology.
I think you get the idea. We have travelled all over Bangkok city and I think it's fair to say that even the Concierge counter of a shopping mall has more service standards than the front counter of Ascott Bangkok.
And oh, the room. The Studio Premier was good sized, functional, and comes with a kitchenette with a fridge and washing machine. I wish I could say more good things but after having my specs broken (it was not cheap) on top of paying five nights staying here, I couldn't.
Don't stay here if you want to be treated like hotel cattle. This is probably the worst Ascott property I've stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Jason C, Residence Manager at Ascott Sathorn Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear pvtryan25,
Thank you for your review of Ascott Sathorn Bangkok. I was pleased that you chose Ascott to enjoy the New Years celebrations and it is with regret to hear of your poor experience. Unfortunately we were at full occupancy and hence your residence was not available upon arrival and this should have been expressed to you clearly; and with your feedback, please accept my apologies and have taken this opportunity to address your valid comments (your eye glasses and staff experiences) with the team to ensure that such lapses do not reoccur.

Thank you and regards.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

While there was a 3-bedroom suite to house our party of 7, it has only 2 bathrooms which meant lots of waiting time for all of us. The service was okay. Nothing to rave about. It is not near any of the shopping area, though the metro is a stone's throw away.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 19, 2013

The reception staff were the most unfriendly of all that i have met. Slow and inefficient. Especially during check out they were taking so long to process my checking out. This is unfortunate as the reception staff are the first and the last people you meet in the hotel and they probably give the guests one of the biggest impressions of the hotel.

Housekeeping was generally ok except that they were unpredictable they didn't visit at a fixed time daily so sometimes you could be in bed and they would be ringing your doorbell.

The hotel's washing machine cum dryer was the worst aspect of my room. The instructions provided weren't sufficient and even calling of 2 different staff twice didn't aid in explaining how to use the drying functions of the machine. I actually contacted the make the machine Teka on their website and they probably contacted the hotel itself which then sent me a letter that they slot under my door. Anyhow the drying of my clothes wasn't resolved so i just lay out my semi wet clothes on the furniture like the living room chairs and the dining table to dry. I have pictures to show of that.

The room itself is wonderful. Extremely spacious and large with many windows with a spectacular view of the swimming pool and the surrounding buildings and also of the bts train line. It was a pity the surround sound system in the living room didn't seem to work. Some of the shower's functions didn't work either like the rain shower function and a worker had to be called in to fix it and after fixing it it didn't work flawlessly like i needed to use a towel to pull on the lever to get the rain shower to work. It just goes to show that the room itself is rather dated.

One of the rooms on the floor that i was on had very strange drawings and markings on the door itself. I have taken some pictures of the room's door and asked outsiders but didn't ask any of the hotel's staff since i figure they wouldn't tell me anything. I hope it has nothing to do with any supernatural or unfortunate occurrences inside the room. I have pictures to show.

The pool was average but not to standard with other 5 star hotels for example there were no staff to actually manage the towels and ensure that everything was signed. It was bad on one of the days while they hired some workers to paint and repair the awning near the pool and you could smell paint while swimming.

The gym is definitely one of the best i have ever been to. It was extremely large with seperate rooms for yoga classes and they have many personal trainers since this hotel also serves as a long term apartment residence. The gym had all manner of weight machines and free weights and also i believe it had at least 3 different type of bench press equipment. It had a male and female shower area with lockers provided and a sauna inside.

The M pub downstairs was also pretty good. Nice food and they have happy hour too.

The concierge were also pretty helpful in calling a taxi for me and printing me a map of my destination and its surroundings and then explaining in detail to the taxi driver how to arrive at my destination and which routes to take so that was good on their part.

The breakfast was quite ok nothing to shout about and it is quite cheap at 280 baht.

Overall this hotel is rather decent but doesn't deserve its 5 star rating. If you have been to other 5 star hotels like chatrium riverside for example you will find that the service staff here aren't so good, efficient or friendly. The location of a convinence store like a 7-11 for example isn't that close by so you do need to walk a bit to get there and come back while taking extra care in crossing the roads full of construction and cars, a typical bangkok scenario. There are 2 BTS stations within walking distance at this hotel with chong nonsi being the closer one but you need to climb up and down some stairs and navigate some narrow pathways and if you are a first timer in the area might find yourself walking in the wrong direction at chong nonsi. It is easier to navigate at surasak bts since it's just straight in one direction either to the hotel from the station or to the station from the hotel but the walk is much further.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Eugene G
Reviewed November 29, 2013

It's perfect place to live, furnishing decor all the very best. Food excellent.

METRO STATION 3 min walk, straight into MBK

If travelling by air, take the meter taxi and ask him to take expressway, will cost you toll but will safe your life from the Bangkok harrowing traffic.

Only drawback, nothing is near (basically Tourist area is far)

Prathunam or sukhmvit is atleast 60-100 THB by taxi

Restaurants are 10-15 min walk to SILOM

Room Tip: All rooms are gr8
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed there for over 10 days in September and first thing I have to say is the hotel doesn't have the best location at all. Yes it is in fact near the Station but no taxi would want to drive you there.. as traffic is probably the worst in the area.. it would take you hours to drive few kilometers.

Despite of that traffic , if you use motor cycle taxi, that's fine.. Quick in & out of the area without issue.

Had a 2 bedrooms suite for the first few days and it was just so big... I felt they made a mistake. Fully equipped kitchen with washer and dryer ... I really loved it... I downgraded to a one bedroom apartment and it was just fine for me.. Still pretty big .

Didn't use the TV , but internet was pricy to get the higher bandwidth. Wasn't the best.. but OK to work .

Asked them if I could buy a pillow and they said yes.. Finally took one with me as it was so comfortable.

Their gym is probably the nicest gym in the City.. I will definitely go back there just for the gym. Had the latest and newest machines and offers a wider variety of yoga and gym classes. * you must be extra for that )

Pretty much it was a great stay, it could have been perfect, if it wasn't for the fact the front desk tried to charge and charge my credit card over and over .. which was blocked for security purposes.. Ended up being pissed off... at it.. as she was keeping going at it.. and charge the darn thing.

Finally they contacted me ( I was back home already ) few days later so I could pay for the pillow I took with me.. ( I thought it was already paid in my bill ) but anyway .. they kept sending me emails and emails over and over for the 15 bucks ... when my bills was over 1k ....

Never heard back from them.. not eve a thank you.. whatsoever... once it was paid.. that's the way it is...

Hotel amenities was fine... and I enjoyed it..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo