“Grand Mercure Asoke (Sukhumvit area, Bangkok) .... if size is important .... this fits the bill!”

Grand Mercure Bangkok Asoke Residence
Ranked #68 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed February 11, 2013

If size is important ... this fits the bill ...... and I must admit, it was the feature I was chasing.

Two of us stayed here and it was extremely spacious. (We chose a one bedroom apartment).
Roomy apartments (70 - 80 sq. metres); separate bedroom; kitchen/kitchenettes; spacious living areas; plenty of storage; CLEAN.
I'm a girl who loves a firm, big bed & these digs have it. (If it's not my own bed, I want my own territory in it!).
Reasonably sized balcony, but no patio furniture unfortunately.
Had the desire to do a little furniture relocation to make the huge space more appealing, but didn't want to overstep the mark.
Hotel foyer is understated but has a sense of space and is a cool respite from Bangkok's steamy climate.
Corridors leading to rooms once again give a sense of serene space.
Pool area is modest, but adequate, with gym, steam & sauna facilities attached.
A bit of a walk (500 metres) in this heat, to the main drag & the relatively new 'Terminal 21' building (a themed shopping mall. Worth a look, but mmmmmmm???).
Skyrail (Asoke) & 'Bangkok Underground' MRT (Sukhumvit) reasonably close (500 metres), but on those days when you are feeling a bit precious, there are always Bangkok's cheap cabs.

Complimentary internet access, modest pricing, spacious, comfortable & CLEAN .... will stay again.

Value for money ++ (have to confess to getting a bit of a discount with an industry pal / the things you do for better value :-( )

Negatives .... lots of hard surfaces/coverings inside apartment; layout could be better, as could the natural light situation at one end of apartment.

Seriously folks ..... a value for money stay.

Would be nice for all rooms to have flat screen tv's, stereo systems, etc., but for a week's stay, it is good value (despite the tv reception lacking ..... but eh, we're on holidays with a laptop ..... nice if they fix it, but if they don't ... keep the tariffs down :-)

ps .. Decided to join the 'Gazman' in the gym this morning ..... self serve gym (good); equipment (I was happy, the gym junky a bit miffed); stereo/cd (there alone and wanted to funk up the joint, but couldn't play my own cd's 'coz it was broke :-( ..... only reason I went to the hell hole :-). Not sure how it would cope if more than 4 guests went in though????

'It's the little touches that are missing, and we all know how the little touches help' ;-)

But, as I said, "I will return!"

Back packers ..... No, unless you want to stay a couple of nights in unadulterated sleeping space that you have craved for the past month & give the contents of your backpacks a good wash; then YES!

Budget seekers ...... really only worth it if you are staying for a week & want to end the holiday with a big smile, and then .......

Middle rangers ...... live it up & do it!

High enders ...... you won't be devastated; but then I can't see you doing cartwheels in the street either!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HeddaBabbler
Adrn, General Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Asoke Residence, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Dear HeddaBabble,

Greetings from Bangkok and thank you for your time reviewing our hotel!
All the team here, is happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Well are working with the team to improve our huge suites in a close future with Smart LED TVs and upgraded decoration. I am sorry to hear that you experimented some issues during your stay with the room's Tv reception and the CD player at the gym. Please be ensure that our Chief Engineer already took action to fix. Looking forward to welcome you again!

Best regards,
Arnaud

Reviewed January 30, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank hqabazard
Adrn, General Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Asoke Residence, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have previously tried many residence style accommodations in Bangkok so I was happy to give the Mercure Residences Asok a whirl, especially the central location was appealing to me.

Upon check-in I was informed that the Restaurant was closed and room service was not available either. Breakfast was supposed to be served in a regular room. I did not pursue this as my booking did not include breakfast either way. I handed my credentials to the front desk staff. Seemingly they authorized my credit card twice as I later learned. They have 2 machines and the first one they try appears faulty. The authorizations will fall off, yes - but it takes up to 10 days and I travel for 2 months straight so many pending authorizations are not exactly helpful. More about this later.

The rooms are spacious with a large bath (separate shower/bathtub), a kitchenette incl a washing machine (no dryer!) and a large fridge. There is also a small dining table, spacious enough for two people. The living room and the kitchen is combined in a studio style. The bedroom is closed up with a sliding door. The rooms have an air condition unit and an older style tv each. My A/C units were both outrageously loud, I had to shut the one in my bedroom off at night. The mattresses are french style: Hard and pretty thin! Beware if that is not your thing.

Overall I am satisfied with the room and the great rates that are available. You will wonder: Why only 1 Star? Let me tell you about my checkout experience.

When I checked out I reported the issue with the 2 credit card authorizations. The front desk lady seemed not impressed in any way. I hand over my card for final processing. Again they try machine number one but with a new authorization. I goes through but the machine generates an error. Again I get an email from my bank a few minutes later. The same for machine number two which is able to complete the transaction. I now have about 18,000 THB authorizations pending from the Mercure. I mention this is not acceptable and would like to talk to management. I was told there is none available. Then a guy shows up who again shrugs my concerns off. I ask for the General Manager of the Hotel. The guy says he is out and would not be interested to talk about this as this is not a real problem. He introduces himself as the Assistant Manager. I ask him for a name or business card. He refuses to give both. The discussion heats up, I ask again for his name (by now I do not buy his story of being any sort of manager anymore - a manager has a business card, period.) I decide to send the GM an email about this incident and take openly a picture of the gentleman at the front desk. He goes berserk. I tell him that I will record our conversation and make it available for his boss on audio. He starts to threaten that he will use my personal information (passport and company ID) for illegal transactions and that I should be 'careful' when I come back, I laugh at him and ask if we should call the police to solve it right away. I take out my phone and pretend to dial a number. At this point the bellman has to hold the guy back to not go after me.

I leave the hotel and get my taxi. Hopefully this all has been recorded on the hotels CCTV for managements follow-up.

Never before have I experienced this sort of behavior. Not that I am scared of the phantasies of some disgruntled employee but I can imagine less experienced travelers would be pretty intimidated.

You get your own impression from this. I see the Management responds to some of the comments here, I will forward it to Accor Corporate as well to make sure it doesn't get skimmed by the criminal staff in the back and front office.

Happy Holidays!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank aeroAdvocate

Dear Aeroadvocate, Greetings from Bangkok!
Thank you for your time and reviewing our hotel.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed our hotel facilities and special rate provided.
However I have taken measures to investigate all the issues commented but have not been able to verify the problem encountered with our employee upon check out.
Please contact me directly for more information. Best regards, Arnaud

Reviewed January 1, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank An Accor traveler
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have stayed at Grand Mercure Bangkok Asoke Residence several times during the past 7 years. Good value for money, great location concerning the transportation options, 5 min walk from the Asoke BTS station (sky train) and the MRT (metro), as well as the new mall, The Terminal. Rooms are spacious, equipped with a fully equipped kitchen, big size fridge, and a comfortable living room and,above all, clean.
Cons: almost no food and beverage options in the hotel (its main restaurant is closed) except for the room service. Poor, very poor service from the front office and this has been the case for the past 3-4 years during which the hotel is run by youngsters not really `cut` for the tourist business and customer service.
Concerning the whereabouts: satysfing dinning options nearby, an excellent localy coloured restaurant almost across the hotel, servicing breakfast and staying open late at night, with both Thai and international cuisine. An Argentinian restaurant further down the street and off course, restaurants inside the mall which is located at approx 5min walk from the hotel premises. Also, a branch of the well known `Health Land` spa and massage just a couple of minutes from Grand Mercure.
In a few, nice hotel-residence for the ones who hate cramped hotel rooms as well for the ones who wish to stay on a long term basis. However, you `d better be independant as you cannot really count on the service provided by the front desk employees....

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zina_10
Adrn, General Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Asoke Residence, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear K. Zina_10, Happy New Year 2013!
Thank you again for your patronage and visits since many years.
As we continue to improve the property, we planned to operate our own restaurant on the top floor for this year. Sorry for the inconvenience if the main restaurant is closed for the moment. However breakfasts remain available and served in our Suite 206 at this time. Room service can be ordered with Food by Phone and their 500 selections of restaurants.
I am sorry if our service did not provide you the greatest satisfaction during your last stay. Please share with me the problems occurred or recommendations as we are trying to keep the highest standards and quality of service for the team.

Kind regards, Arnaud.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Justin H
Adrn, General Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Asoke Residence, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2012