“If you want something different, stay here.”

Shanghai Mansion Bangkok
Ranked #83 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Hotel Grounds: I was worried when our cab driver pulled up and all I see is this old dingy building. When I walked in though, I smell the fragrance of peppermint, the coolness of the lobby and the beautiful Old Shanghai decor blew me away.

Check-in: We were served cold towels laced with peppermint (refreshing) and a cold drink. Process was a little slow and staff needs to brush up on their understanding of English. We were told our room is not ready till an hour later. We said OK we will leave luggage with concierge and come back later. She apologized and walked away and we sat there waiting for 15 min wondering what is taking her so long to store our luggage. She thought we mean we would sit around and wait for an hour.

Room: When we got our room (Plum Blossom), they had put in fresh flowers, fruits and love swans from towels with flower petals on the bed. I had mentioned it is our anniversary and I thought it was a sweet and thoughtful gesture. The minibar is complimentary (bonus!) that comes with 2 bottles of water, 2 cans of soda, 2 bags of crisps and 2 packets of Oreos. However, they had joined two twin beds together to make it a king sized one. My husband slept uncomfortably in the middle of the two beds. The room was small but adequate. It is in need of some minor maintenance. Walls have cracks in them and the mirror was dusty. The basin has two separate faucets for hot and cold water which does not make sense. The shower drain does not drain well enough and the water backs up easily. If you like to take long showers, you might flood the bathroom. The next day, we asked for a change of room but didn't hear anything from them so we slept uncomfortably again the next night. The next morning, the restaurant manager asked if anyone got back to us on the room we said no. Apparently they tried calling us but they were out. They could have left a note for us to contact the front desk..... Anyways, they were very generous to upgrade us to the Cherry Blossom room for our next 2 nights.
The Cherry Blossom room is great. It is much bigger and comes with a separate toilet and shower and a big bathtub that can easily accommodate a couple. It also comes with a king-sized bed, a lounger and a DVD player. If you are here for a honeymoon or a special occasion, I highly recommend getting the bigger room. Both rooms I stayed in do not have windows or a view but do not bother me at all.

Breakfast: Breakfast is included with the price of the room. The variety and quality is pretty good but it is the same thing every morning. It would be nice if they can rotate some items.

Security: There is always someone outside the hotel. We never felt unsafe during our stay. He would always get us a cab that goes by meter and make sure the cab driver knows where we want to go. I notice him taking down every cab number he flagged down. I guess in case customers gets conned or something. It can be very annoying though, everytime we walk out there are touters right outside the hotel asking where we are going, do we need a taxi or a tuk-tuk. I just ignore them but still irritating nonetheless.

Location: It is a great location, right in the heart of Chinatown. Unfortunately not so near to the MRT. Taxis are your best friends. Even though they have a free scheduled tuk-tuk service, they still make you book 3 hours in advance. It is ridiculous. They may as well just do away with it.

Staff: Always courteous and helpful, even cleaning staff who does not know any English besides "Good Morning" are very friendly and always smiling.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JSeagroves
Write a ReviewReviews (2,532)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

A friend and I spent 4 nights here in mid-October. It was great! As others have noted, the rooms are a little small, but the decor and service more than made up for it.
Breakfast was included -- great restaurant and good selection of food. Staff was extremely courteous and helpful; friendly and service oriented. Location is right in the heart of ChinaTown. I would definitely recommend the Shanghai Mansion!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank OlyCallie
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed here during my first trip to Bangkok at the Mei Hua suite. The room does not have window to the outside world, therefore there is no sunlight streaming in. I have to switch on the lights every time I am inside the room. Being first time staying in a boutique hotel, I was quite worried about the security as the locks were not of standard magnetic strip. The room is tastefully furnished with all things antique and wooden. It is very quiet inside and outside. I love the bath and shampoo oils which are of the smell of "pandan" leaves and lemongrass. Check in process was pretty smooth, as they serve me welcome drink while I wait for the check in and the bell boy leads me to the room. They have free internet workstations for you to surf online however, preferably using of our own devices will be a better choice. The staff were friendly and helpful, I am more impressed with their decor of the entire property which is old Chinatown. If you appreciate olden time China, this is the place to stay as you will experience the oriental and traditional touches they put into all their furnishings, bringing you back to the olden times all at once!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MiinHway F
Reviewed October 30, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank Sabine S
Reviewed October 28, 2012

I absolutely LOVED this hotel! The beautiful decor, the outstanding service and location are the reasons why I will return to this hotel. I had stayed here on two different occasions and the second time was even better with the personal touches like welcome letter, fruit basket, flowers, complimentary mini bar, etc. The staff truly went above and beyond to tend to my every single need and request. As a solo female traveler I felt great staying here. Please refer to my tip as some may be concerned with transportation to and from hotel.

Room Tip: Always remember to carry the hotel address in Thai to show cab/tuk-tuk drivers (ask the hotel concie...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank Jeanette R
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We visited this hotel and looked at a couple of rooms interesting but expensive
the whole hotel was so deserted seemed little or no life there,
We did eat in the resteraunt again only a couple of other people there, the food was however excellent drinks were expensive we asked for a bottle of local Samsung and was quoted a price of 2200 batt, the price I pay for a case not a bottle, at the local seven it costs 230 Batt
the lights were switched on as we were leaving the resteraunt about 7.30 pm and the ambience improved
I like a hotel with a litytle more life going on

5  Thank AlandPawn
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed there from 19th - 22nd Oct and the stay was nothing more than breathtaking. The hotel is very nicely done up and compliments the whole Chinatown feel. We took the Mu Dan suite and it was really gorgeous. The security/concierge/bartender/bellboy Lod was extremely helpful & pleasant all the time. The location is great as compared to the usual hustle of the town area. Will definitely recommend and be back again!!

Room Tip: Take the Suites as compared to the regular rooms for a more romantic feel.
2  Thank jvd747