I've visited Livingstone's Lodge frequently since 2009. The rooms are spacious, clean and nicely appointed. The furnishing is not your standard chain-hotel ones and fit nicely into the teak-floored rooms. If there's one thing to criticize: it's a bit hard to take a shower without splashing water on the floor but this is a small problem.
After the recent renovations, the rooms now sport a nice LCD TV and a mini-stereo with an 30-pin Apple connector so you can play your own music and recharge your device at the same time. The beds and mattresses have always been excellent – I frequently experience back problems at other hotels (even 5-star chains), never had that here. All the relevant satellite TV channels are available.
Breakfast is served a-la-carte and prepared freshly. It's also available until "late" so if you wish to sleep in on the weekend, there's no hurry in meeting some silly 11am deadline just to get food. Speaking of food, their restaurant (open in the evening) serves excellent Thai food, all freshly prepared in the open kitchen in front of your eyes. They also have western-style items on the menu, their steaks are also an enjoyable experience. The service staff is very friendly and quick to refill your drinks.
The location is very convenient, not even 5 minutes to the sky-train station, Emporium mall is just a short walk away and the lower Sois on Sukhumvit can be reached in 5 minutes by taking a taxi.
What is really excellent and has been steadily improving over the years is the (free) WiFi that is now available from any location within the compound. It's speedy and I haven't encountered any issues with availability. Previously there were some rooms with spotty coverage, this has now been fixed and it's a very welcome improvement.
All in all, a very friendly and unique hotel with a good value for money. It's certainly not the cheapest place to stay in Bangkok but this is not the intended goal. Guests are a nice mix of business travelers and people enjoying a few days off in Bangkok and it was always easy to start a conversation. I rather stay in a charming place like this than an anonymous chain-type of hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ocean at Livingstone's: THE only Urban Boutique resort in Bangkok. An Oasis in the Heart of the city. Built into an old Thai residence this boutique hotel offers space and ambiance, a large area in the middle of Bangkok, with an outdoor swimming pool and high-speed Wi-Fi throughout the complex. Livingstone's Lodge is Western-managed. It is a 5-minute walk to Prompong BTS Skytrain Station and Emporium Department Store. Offering air-conditioned rooms, the hotel is equipped with an outdoor pool, a tour desk and a 24-hour front desk. The property is a 10-minute drive to Terminal 21 Department Store and Asoke MRT Subway Station. Suvarnabhumi Airport is a 40-minute drive away. Rooms at Livingstone's Lodge are fitted with parquet floor. Each room comes with a TV, a minibar and a safety deposit box. Free toiletries are included in an en suite bathroom. The Livingstone's Restaurant offers a great selection of traditional Thai and international dishes. Guests can enjoy beverages at the bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ocean Bangkok reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Livingstone`s Hotel Bangkok
- Livingstones Hotel Bangkok