“Good backpackers hostel”

Ranked #191 of 1,185 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Victor, Idaho, United States
“Good backpackers hostel”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The shanti was a great place to stay in Bangkok. I'm not a huge fan of Bangkok, and was happy to get out of there quickly to see the rest of Thailand. But I spent two nights at the shanti before I caught a train south.

This hostel lacks in it's location, but makes up for it with a great atmosphere and vibe. The restaurant and bar is a very welcoming and laid back place to enjoy breakfast or a nightcap. Dom works there at night and is extremely friendly and speaks great English. Great fellow to talk to.

I stayed in cheapest room which had a powerful fan, comfy enough bed and nice bamboo walls. The walls are thin, so if you want to sleep in... This might not be the place for you.

There is not much around the shanti but it's a 50 baht tuk tuk ride from khao San (main backpackers road with bars and shops) or a 60 baht meter taxi to the grand palace (nice wat filled "old city")

If you are just passing thru Bangkok, this is a great place to lay your head

Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I spent about 4-5 nights here as a solo female traveler. The receptionist was pleasant. She quoted me a bedroom with AC for 600 baht/night when I walked in, which I now know is too high for what I got. The building was decorated in a very karma-cool way, but there was SO much decor that it was overwhelming and I felt claustrophobic after returning from the insanity of the Bangkok streets. My room was small, dark, the double-bed was very wood plank-esque. Bathroom had shower next to toilet, very normal here but still given the small size of the adjacent room I felt like a caged tiger. There were about 2 feet of floor space for my luggage and no table, so the bed had to serve as wardrobe which was very messy; there wasn't even a corner to put my street shoes when I walked in so the whole stay just felt unhygienic. The restaurant downstairs does serve good food - the muesli is excellent - however the staff ignore you and seem very annoyed when you interrupt their conversations to order, also mosquitos *everywhere* so use bug spray. I didn't get a single smile during my stay and felt like an awkward stranger even though I was one of the only guests. However, the real clincher is that when I checked out, the British woman (owner?) charged me a higher price than I had agreed to when I checked in. When I explained that there had been a mistake given I was quoted 600 directly and clearly by her staff, she interrupted me and told me I must have screwed up by failing to see the posted prices (which are significantly lowered during low seasons as I have found literally everywhere else I've stayed in SE Asia over the past month). She looked at me like I was lying to her face and became very condescending. I had a flight to catch so I didn't have time to argue over $2/night difference, but as a young budget traveler, that money was the equivalent of forfeiting a whole night's stay to the hotel for THEIR mistake. I was very upset and insulted by both the dishonest pricing, average rooms, and the staff's attitude and would discourage other budget travelers from bothering with this hotel.

Room Tip: Insist on seeing the room first as they are not all created equally, and get the price they quote in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Ariel B

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

United States
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I had heard good things about this place which is why I decided to come and spend the 4 days I had to be in Bangkok here. In one word - disappointing.
Much care and attention has been taken for the decor and general ambience and the restaurant area is screened from the road by plants. So far so good. However the staff here really don't seem like they can be bothered. In the 4 days I spent here only once did some-one come to take my order after sitting at a restaurant table. The rest of the time it was rouse some-one from their little huddle if you could. At times I felt actually unwelcome. Thai smiles and warmth were sadly absent. Apparently it is better if the owner is here......not much help the rest (and most) of the time.
I spent one night in a 3 bed room and 3 in a shared bathroom single. Both rooms were box-like and bare and very hot. Perhaps there are rooms here as shown by website pictures but the ones in I stayed in bore no resemblance.The toilets ad showers (which are very clean) are down a set of stairs which for my night-time visits I found inconvenient.
The restaurant has a great menu, if a little overpriced, and the food is good although I found the portions quite small. It also arrives quickly.
Employ better and friendlier staff and I might come back - otherwise I won't bother - there are much better Bangkok options for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Deneice A
Reviewed August 7, 2013

+ original style details in rooms and restaurant
+ feel good atmosphere
+ tasty food
+ good location
+ reception was helpfull
+ penthouse was funny
- noisy outside and inside
- perhaps a little bit overpriced

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank geopaulus
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Woke up here hung over as hell. Was a perfect place to re-coup and get back to normal. A LOT more chilling than most hotels you will find in Bangkok. Staff are friendly and relaxed and the decore is really nice- lots of carved wood stuff :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed there in July 2013. it was perfect. Nice room. Clean and friendly. The best is the little restaurant like a living room. Nice to stay in peace in the loud city. Short way to the ferry and to Kao San Road. Perfect wirh kids.

• Stayed July 2013
Katoomba, Australia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Over the last five years I've stayed at Shanti Lodge many times, it really is a home away fom home in bustling Bangkok! The atmosphere is sublime, the wifi is great and reliable, the staff helpful, in house food caters to all tastes, and the neighbourhood is a real treat, a genuine slice of local life in Bangkok. A good selection of street food is available for the adventurous, a 7-11 just over the road for whatever you need, local pharmacies, and a cool and pleasant chilled out vibe on the pavement tables (my office, when back from meetings).

While the rooms are modest, they are comfortable and rustic and real. If you live in a world of 4 & 5 star hotels Shanti is probably not for you, but if you are open to experiencing a slice of local life, and taking a chance on meeting the sophisticated and adventurous souls that are drawn to this very special place, you won't be disappointed.

Shanti is clean, safe for families, and a delightful place to rest up after a busy day. There are no bugs, but it is by the river, and the mossies are easily kept at bay after dark by the simple precaution of some natural insect repellent or citronella spray.

I come here as it is very close to the UN conference centre, and I pay for a week or more what my colleagues spend in a night. If partying is your thing, the 20 minute walk to Khao San is an experience in itself, or if you're in a hurry, it's only a cheap taxi or tuk-tuk ride away.

The in-house massage or the place next door is sublime.

Shanti has strong ethics and supports a wonderful staff, the Turtle Tour Service is great too, it's a place people really enjoy coming back to!

Room Tip: Up to you!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business