“Meh, never mind the bedbugs”
Review of Shanti Lodge

Shanti Lodge
Ranked #193 of 1,188 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Meh, never mind the bedbugs”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

i simply cannot recommend this place. Even if I didn't get bed bugs here (which I definitely did, see the attached photos) I'd give this place a bad review. I stayed for three nights, leaving after the bed bug incident But given this was recommended by Lonely Planet (which I only read for their recommendations on accommodations), I wasn't expecting such an underwhelming experience. My advice to the traveller is to skip on this place.

I stayed in the 400 baht rooms, which are admittedly the cheaper rooms that come with a fan. The shared bathrooms (and shower stalls) are on first floor (for men). You have to pass through the reception area to get to them, and there are always people there. This is a slight annoyance, since I don't especially like getting dressed just to go to the washroom or the shower.

The walls are very thin and made of woven mats of some sort. I could hear conversations in adjoining rooms, as well as coughing and sneezing. Some sounds were not family friendly, if you get my drift...

The attached restaurant is decent, expensive, and serves Thai food for western palettes.

I probably got bed bugs here. After the first night I had these insect bites all over me, but those could have been Mosquitos, so I just went about my business. My bites were in straight lines across my arms and legs, which is typical of how bedbugs bite.The day after I noticed small bloodstains near a corner of my bed. See the attached photos. Management was adamant that this was not bedbugs...you be the judge.

I then went to management and told them of the problem. All they did was change the bed sheets, but they didn't even replace all of them. One lady was going to spray insecticide on my bed, but i stopped her before she got the chance to poison me. They didn't give me another room. So i had to sleep in the same bed as my hungry friends. The manager earnestly suggested that I catch the bed bugs using a rubber band, which would be difficult given how small these bugs are. i know that bed bugs are something hotels have a hard time controlling, but they should have taken care of the problem instead of acting Incredulous. I DID manage to get a 30% discount after negotiating. But seriously, I got bed bugs so a 30% discount isn't that great.

I used to work as a canoe guide in northern Canada. I wasn't too bothered with the fact that at night a colony of beetles were feasting on my blood. But most of you probably would be. In any case I really would have liked to upgrade to a room without bed bugs.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank narfishman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Seville, Spain
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Shanti is a haven from busy Bangkok. The rooms are pretty simple, though we appreciated the family rooms but the dining area is great. The food is also top notch. Loved the tofu satay. The owner is super helpful.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed for 6 nights at Shanti Bangkok and loved it. The location forced us to travel around Bangkok as we were doing Dental work at the Southern end of the new City and had to go by River Ferry, Taxi to get to our destination. This actually helped us to see more of the wider city. There was no seedy business around Shanti, so no need to explain to the 9 year old what it was all about. The food was fantastic, a good mix of local and vegetarian food. The room itself was very simple. I almost wanted to move after the first night, thinking something a little more upmarket was possibly better. But my partner liked the ambiance so we decided to stay. I'm glad we did. It was a cherished chilled out space to return to after the madness of each day. Angie's tour office Turtle Tours (next door) is very reasonably priced, and there is also a great masseuse for Thai massage next door. Mattresses were comfortable. Staff could be more attentive in a Western Style way, however I found them to be just typical young women. Somewhat shy and a bit hamstrung by their limited English skills.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back, it wasn't as pretty as the ones that had light directly into them. I d...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed for a week at a double room ensuite in Shanti Bangkok and enjoyed it very much. It's located in a quiet street not far from the Thewet pier at Chayo Phraya river, quiet handy to get to most of Bangkok's interesting places. The room was small and simple, but clean and tastefully designed as well. The mattress was quite hard though. The available Thai food in the restaurant turned out to be the most delicious we had in Thailand. Sympathetically, all food is available on a tofu base for vegetarians, it was really yummy and fairly priced. We also liked the Shanti Lodge for its far sighted approach: vegetables are self-grown on the Shanti farm out of the city, the clothes in the little shop are fair trade. The service was ok. On the minus side it stank a little bit of sewage in our room after some days, but we didn't spend much time in the room anyway and I guess it's kind of inevitable in Bangkok.
We travelled as a couple and enjoyed the Shanti's calm after a hectic day in town. If you're into partying and getting drunk every night you might prefer Khao San Road. If you're after a calm, comfortable place, Shanti is definitely a good choice.

Room Tip: You might want to go for a room in the main building. Some rooms are in the building next door and d...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Overall good stay. friendly staff, especially the owner Mr. Happy who speaks quite good English. The room we had was small, had airco and a fan. But electricity works on a keytag, so if you leave it for a few hours, expect to come back to a sauna.
Close to the river, big shopping street and several markets (the closest one on the corner being a rat infested meatmarket and not reccomended.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank ottxhcickfd
Victoria, BC
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Was here as a 20 year old and loved the vibe. So glad that it still exists. Not a party spot but a place to unwind after the intensity of the city and for conversation. Now travelling as a family with kids aged 5 & 7. Greeted warmly after a long train ride and although early, were accommodated quickly. I won't repeat the positive comments of others but will focus on being with the kids. The room (a family room with a/c) had a bed for parents and a trundle bed for the kids. Much appreciated as we often find the rooms are not really set up for four, whereas this one was. Getting around using the river ferry is fun with kids and the fish in the river are quite a scene - the kids were fascinating. Food at the restaurant was delicious. I personally find the best "real Thai" food is in the markets so I don't have those same expectations from any restaurant I go to but what I did love was the food was healthy and worry-free. We often fed the kids at Shanti and then went to the market to find our own meals. The fruit juice was amazing as was the tofu satay. Loved the coffee too. We had a late train out of town to go north and we were allowed to leave our things in the room. I wouldn't expect this to be the case always, but it was very appreciated. Looking forward to staying again on our way back south.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Becky A
Atlanta
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I loved the place. The mousli is definitely recommended. It's close to the river/water taxi and is exactly what I expected in a Thai hostel with a nice bohemian vibe. This isn't a holiday inn experience and I don't get why a powerpoint would ever even be mentioned in conjunction with a backpacking trip. Oh well.

• Stayed August 2012