“Hotel De Moc, Banglamphu, Bangkok”
Review of Hotel De Moc

Hotel De Moc
Ranked #414 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
uk
“Hotel De Moc, Banglamphu, Bangkok”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The Hotel De Moc is in a great location. Only a 10 minute stroll from the up and coming Samsen area which has many good restaurants and bars, and a furher 5 minute stroll from Khaosan Road. We have stayed in several hotels in the Banglamphu and Sukhumvit areas over the last 12 years, and have also checked out many more, but we have yet to find a similarlly priced hotel of this standard with such a big pool in a lovely ground floor garden setting, AND in the sun all day.
We had some issues with the pool on two occasions, but the Guest Services Manager was very helpful, and did his best to sort it out. However, for some reason the water level was always much lower than it should have been, so the water wasn't spilling into the overflow. If this was amended, it would go a long way to boost the filtering system and also make it easier to exit the pool as the bottom steps of the ladder were quite high up..
We stayed at this hotel four times in four months for a duration of 5 days each time. There are two free Tuk Tuks to and from Khaosan Road, which takes about 5 minutes. But even though we left the hotel at least twice a day and walked in the general direction of Khaosan road, we were never lucky enough to get a free ride, and were told each time we asked, that the Tuk would be at least another 15 minutes. It was therefore quicker to walk.
The rooms are pleasant,, fairly spacious, and VERY clean. The beds are good quality and comfortable, and we loved the towel origami - elephants, dogs and swans! The bathroom was adequate, but if you have dodgy knees or hips, it's a bit tricky getting out of the shower which is over the bath . Decent size balcony with comfortable chairs. We stayed in a superior room on the first occasion, and a standard room on the other three, but couldn't honestly see the difference except that the superior rooms which are higher up have better city views.
The staff were very polite, but the door staff and room maids were particularly friendly and helpful.
We are unable to comment about the spa as we didn't use it, except to say that the setting looked great. And neither can we comment on the breakfast as we don't eat breakfast.
Friends of ours stayed at Hotel De Moc following our recommendation, and were more than happy with the whole experience.
We were unable to submit this review without star rating the Spa and breakfast , so these ratings are based on our friends experiences.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel as they all have views of the pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel De Moc, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear NoelUk,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel De Moc four times during your recent vacation to Thailand. It was a real pleasure having you stay here and it is nice to know you were very happy with our facility and our high level of customer service.

Your recommendations regarding the swimming pool have been passed to our engineering department who will look into the possibility of implementing these changes.

We are sorry you were unable to use the complimentary Tuk-Tuk service to Khaosan Road, this service can sometimes be very busy, especially if the hotel is holding a conference or meetings.

We really appreciate your kind words and Trip Advisor recommendation to other travellers to stay at our hotel. The whole team looks forward to your next holiday to Thailand later this year.

Group Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

I booked online and put a deposit on my credit card. They couldn't find my booking which I wasn't too keen about. When I gave them my booking number on my iPhone she deleted it. Eventually after quite some time we had it all sorted out. I had a "retro" room overlooking the pool. The light fixtures were cool. The service pool side was great and it did have a little mad men feel. They were very helpful with calling me cabs since it was too far away to take the metro. The breakfast Buffett was overpriced for what you got. It just needs a little tweaking.

• Stayed April 2013
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel De Moc, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Katrina B,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel De Moc and for taking the time to write a review of your recent visit on Trip Advisor.

May we start by extending our sincerest apologies for any problems you encountered whilst checking into our hotel. Your valuable feedback will help us correct this error so that it does not reoccur again in the future.

We are pleased to read you liked the style of our rooms and enjoyed the view overlooking the main entrance and swimming pool. We also really appreciate your kind words regarding the personal service provided by our Door staff and Restaurant servers.

Your comments regarding the Breakfast Buffet have been passed to our Food and Beverage Manager who will re-evaluate the breakfast selection options currently on offer.

We are glad overall you had a good stay with us and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Dungog, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

this hotel is in the older section of bangkok. It is not close to either of the rapid transit systems in the city. It is also right above a noisy busy motorway. I am staying in this hotel as apart of a tour package for one night and would not recommend this hotel. I have stayed the previous three nights at the tai pan hotel on the other side of town.....it is right by two rail stations, is a lot quieter and has a gym and pool. The website says there is a fitness centre in hotel de moc....there is not. The wifi is hit and miss, but the breakfast is not bad...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel De Moc, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear DungogSteve,

Thank you for staying at the Hotel De Moc as part of your tour package. We are sorry to read you did not have an enjoyable experience.

Our hotel is located in the traditional old town of Bangkok. We are a short walk away from many cultural sites of interest including the Grand Palace, Wat Pho and The Golden Mount. It is true we are about 30-40 minutes away from the Sky Train and Siam Square, but in terms of the size of Bangkok that is not too great a distance.

The Hotel De Moc is an old building as you rightly say and it has been active as a hotel for over 60 years now. The current management took over the premises in 2009 and since then we have worked hard to renovate and upgrade the overall hotel experience. We feel the hotel now reflects a real feel of the 1960’s with plenty of charm and character.

We have double checked our website and also a number of other travel sites and we cannot see where it says the hotel comes with a fitness centre. Our sister hotel the Buddy Lodge on Khaosan Road does have a gym. This facility is nearby and is available for our guests to use for a small fee, but we have do not have a fitness centre at our hotel.

Thank you for your comment about our breakfast buffet we are pleased you enjoyed the choice and options we offer each morning.

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. We hope you enjoyed the rest of your vacation.

Group Guest Services Manager

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed April 6, 2013

we stayed here at the start of our 10 day tour of Thailand. I thought the staff at the front desk were ok but the rest of the staff were great. We came back here a day early from our tour as I was unwell and the staff were very helpful in finding us a room. The rooms were clean and comfortable and it was in a great location. We would definately stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel De Moc, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Dear Aussie7460,

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review and for twice staying at the Hotel De Moc.

Everyone here is glad to read you had a pleasant stay here and found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. It was also nice to know our team were able to help you find a room when you came back from your tour earlier than expected.

We hope you will be able to return again in the future.

Australia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

A last minute change of plans brought us to Bangkok earlier than planned - after quickly reading some reviews, this place sounded OK. Well I have to say, I don't know where everyone else stayed - but it certainly was NOT at this rat hole!

CHECK IN:
Staff were cold and far from friendly. They insisted on taking a photocopy of my two sons passports - now that is a world first! Not sure why - I was paying for the room, but they said it was Thai law that all people must show their passport. Really? Then why didn't the last 3 hotels require it? Because we booked a deal through a booking site - I was promptly told 'you cheap, you have no breakfast' really, nice.

ROOMS:
Well what else can I say - but disgusting! This place and the furniture has not seen a refresh since the 80s. Retro? They have no idea what retro is. The power outlets are half hanging off the walls, the furniture is broken and mismatched, the TVs have been around for 20 years and that SMELL! What the hell is that SMELL? It is a cross between dead people and a 3 year old dirty gym bag full of clothes.
If you can get over the small - the glass doors are so thin, it feels like the traffic is driving through them.

OVERALL:
This place echoes 'I was a hospital' They didn't even bother to do anything with the old nurses stations - just left the desk there and put some tourist brochures on it. The lovely checked vinyl flooring is straight out of the hospital supply book - perhaps management does not know where to buy carpet from? Did I mention the smell? The lovely poo brown doors are simply depressing and I am sure the scary wall paper is covering up a multitude of horrid sins.

WOULD I STAY AGAIN:
Never! Currently looking to move hotels as this place is just awful. For the money that they charge the standard should be much better, I have stayed in many many hotels, and many in disadvantaged countries - this rates in my top 3 worst hotels ever, for price, location, staff and rooms.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sherie1408
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel De Moc, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Sherie1408,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel De Moc in Bangkok, we are very sorry to read on Trip Advisor that you were unhappy with the services we provide here.

The Buddy Group takes constructive feedback such as this very seriously. The incidents detailed above, as well as the unprofessional service from our team were obvious shortfalls on our side and we wish to reassure all future guests that these areas are already being addressed to prevent any future re-occurrences.

Please may we take this opportunity to respond to some of the points raised.

The Buddy Group consists of six hotels and at each property it is hotel policy to request the passports of all guests planning to stay, not just the primary name the room is booked under. This request must be complied with regardless of the age or nationality of the guest.

The reason why we require this information is so we have a accurate record of who and how many guests are staying in the hotel at any one time. This is very important in the case of a fire or other such emergency. We also have to update the guest arrival list report with passport and TM number to the Thai Immigration Police every day.

We do not like causing conflict with our valued guests, especially when they have just arrived at the hotel, but all guests must comply with our check-in security procedures or we cannot allow them to stay.

We are saddened to read you were unhappy with the design and fittings in our rooms. This hotel is one of the oldest operating tourist hotels in Bangkok. The building was originally built in 1964 and the current management have made a conscious effort to try and keep much of its original style and charm.

We have 92 rooms in this hotel and since our company took over in 2009 we have installed new wooden floors in every room as well as replacing new curtains, baths, beds and a whole host of other essential items. It is simply not true that everything has been neglected since the 1980’s, we are always looking at ways to improve the overall customer experience.

We are sorry to learn the guest was disappointed with her room, but we were not informed anything was wrong until Sherie1408 came to check out. If our Front Office Manager had been aware of the problems beforehand, he could have arranged for the guest to be moved to a different room and if necessary upgraded to one of our Deluxe Suites, which face the entrance of the hotel and are overlooking the swimming pool.

We are sorry Sherie1408 encountered so many difficulties during her stay, but we do not feel this is the same typical experience reported by most of our guests.

Yours Sincerely

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Greeted by a bellboy rushing to grab my bag out the taxi. Pleasant reception area, lobby and seating area. I was booked into the hotel as part of Geckos adventure tours. The receptionist gave me a room overlooking the front of the hotel facing the pool, outdoor cafe/bar and a big tree right outside my balcony. I had asked for a quiet room which they advised they had given me. My ear plugs came in handy.
The swimming pool was lovely. No-one using it while I was there.
The 2nd time I returned, again part of the tour, I was given a room overlooking the flyover/concrete jungle and the room stunk of cigerettes. I started getting a headache so asked to change rooms. They didn't understand what I was saying during my conversations on the phone from my room so I had to grab all my luggage again (20kg backpack and 2 bags) and head downstairs again.
It was a good 15-20mins walk to Khao San Road. Could've got a tuk-tuk or taxi if a bit much 30-40baht.
My room was clean and tidy. basic 3 star. 7-eleven up the road. Most taxi drivers knew the De Moc so handy to get back from anywhere.
We were told by our Guide that breakfast is from 6am. When we got downstairs, they advised it was 6.30am. It was a pain, especially as we needed to leave to 7am.
Breakfast itself was ok. Had cereal, bread that you could toast, small selection of Thai as they didn't have any gluten free/dairy free alternatives for me. Tea, coffee, juice.
Beds were hard which I didn't mind but others complained about. Alot of the beds around Thailand are hard. This is what the locals are used to.

Room Tip: As long as you have ear plugs any room at the front of the hotel are good. i stayed on 2nd and 3rd f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel De Moc, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Shirina 1,

Thank you for staying at the Hotel De Moc twice during your recent holiday to Thailand.

We are sorry to read in your review that the room allocated to you during your second stay smelled of smoke from the previous occupant. Our hotel operates a strict non-smoking policy in all rooms. We apologize for the smell of smoke in your room, but once we were made aware of the situation we quickly rectified the problem by offering you a new room.

Thank you for informing us about the issue regarding the breakfast buffet start time. In future we will instruct all group tour guides to inform their guests when they first arrive at the hotel that breakfast is served from 06:30 – 10:00 am. We are sorry for any confusion this might have caused during your stay.

Your comment regarding the Gluten free milk has been passed to our Food and Beverage Manager who has informed me we will look to include this as an option on our menu in the future.

We are glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay at out hotel and hope you will consider the Hotel De Moc as a viable option again in the future, should you return to Bangkok.

Wales
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at Hotel De Moc,it is in a good location to explore the city with most attractions a tuk-tuk ride away,sometimes the rides were cheaper away from the hotel but not always,the advantage of getting one from the hotel is that the boys get it for you and you can wait in the shade.
The Hotel is not mega luxurious and doesn't pretend to be but we found it excellent value for money,the rooms were clean and we had a pleasant view over the pool and towards the nearby temple,The breakfast were good and the restaurant cool and clean.
We would probably stay here again as opposed to the bustle of Kaho san road (which we didn't like) or the much better Soi Rambuttri,virtually adjacent to Kho-san rd but much nicer.
The staff here were all extremely friendly and helpful and we enjoyed our stay at Hotel De Moc.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and nearby temple and school are good
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
CRM_officer, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel De Moc, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Taffyapples Wales,

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for writing a review of your stay on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to know you had such an enjoyable stay here and that you thought our hotel represented excellent value for money.

It is also nice to know you were well looked after by our attentive team of door staff and that whenever you wanted to go out and about in Bangkok they were there to lend a hand.

We hope you will have the opportunity to stay with us again in the near future.