“outstanding value” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #161 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Seattle, WA
“outstanding value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2006

For the price this hotel is really hard to beat. The rooms and bathrooms are beautiful and the service is great.

The elevators are a little slow and the lobby is somewhat small.

But the location is right in the middle of the some of the best nightlife in Bangkok, and close to shopping and many great restraunts.

It's a block away from the JW Marriot, has nicer rooms, slower elevators, service that's about comparable and has about half the price.

One warning is that my wife tells me that the street in front of the property floods up to 18 inches of water or more during rainy season.

• Liked — location and quality of the rooms
  • Disliked — the pool was worthless
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank mydot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Raleigh, NC, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2006

This hotel is about 5 minutes walk from the skytrain, and about 5 or 10 minutes walk from the imfamous Nana Plaza. My room was quite spacious. The bathroom had both a tub and shower stall.

The tours available from the hotel are way overpriced. I was lucky enough to catch someone from another tour company talking to some other guests in the lobby. I booked a city tour that was about half the price of the one available through the hotel.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank jltaylor
US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2006

Stayed three nights here... wish it could have been longer. I found a U$79 rate, which included tax/service charge and was charged straight in US dollars (no conversion fees). You can pay a lot more in Bangkok and get less.

I arrived around noon, but was told a room was not ready yet. No problem; the bellhop held my bags and when I came back at 2 a room was ready.

I received a standard room on the 16th floor. Great accommodations and furnishings all around. Hotel is thoroughly clean and modern. While it is not quite in the class of of the big chain 5*s, it is a solid 4* in every respect: if you want "nice" but don't need "super expensive nice" this is the place for you.

My room included a minibar, but I had no problem removing items and putting my own things in instead (just put everything back before checking out). The room also had a teapot for boiling and I received two free bottles of water each day.

The pool/spa facilites on the 7th floor are wonderful. The pool has many nooks and crannies where one can sit and be massaged by spa jets. The sauna gets up to 100C and there is a steam bath and hot tub as well.

Potential drawbacks: my room's floor was hardwood and marble (some people may prefer carpet), the bed was firm by Western standards (typical for SE Asia, but I slept well), the spa facilites took some time to warm up after opening in the morning (give them 30-40 minutes).

The SkyTrain (Ploen Chit station) is walkable, maybe 5-6 minutes, but is not super-convenient. A Villa Market grocery store is in the basement of the Ploenchit Center. It closes at 10pm and the selection is not the best. For better offerings, hit the Villa Market on Sukhumvit 11 or the giant Big C across from Central World Plaza.

No problems upon checkout, although I was asked to wait while housekeeping verified the contents of the minibar. This may have arisen from my own use of the fridge; in any event it took only a couple of extra minutes and there were no problems.

I visit Bangkok once a year or so, and have every intention of staying here again.

• Liked — Great pool
  • Disliked — Other hotels are more convenient to SkyTrain
  • Tips/Secrets — cab fare to new airport should be ~200B + tolls + surcharge
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
8 Thank Anon4444
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

I was struggling to decide where to stay in Bangkok. Though it would be the Montien ( Patpong), Landmark or somewhere similar. Sought the opinion on this site. Thanks Cheznandy- great recomnendation from you guys- you will love it.
Booked into a Grande Deluxe- non exec. The welcome from the reception team each day was friendly and warm- felt very welcome. As others have advised the Hotel's location is good, the sky train nearby and taxi's readily availiable- go on the meter... Getting around Bankok as easy as it can be. The Hotel is comforatble and most for me quite at night. Room size very good- great bathroom and TV set of huge proportions for a Hotel.Good comfortable beds, breakfast is excellant as is the team working there. Yes the pool is small- but truth is ,in four days neither Alex ( son )or I had time to visit it anyway. Too busy shopping (Pandip-MBK,Weekend Market and a visit to the Tigers and Kwai- amazing )
In advance I had requested by mail to the hotela quiet non smoking room, a guarentee of twin beds. I had booked via Precision and still the hotel delivered my request fully, had room on 15th floor. I will certainly book here again- very professionally run hotel- they know what they are doing.. Alex is looking to go back to Thailand with his girlfriend in March and believe he will book here as well. He stayed at the Montien Riverside with me last year. Alex well pleased with services of Crown tailors nearby- they made him a couple of pairs of trousers and a few shirts that fit him. I have a couple of shirts as well.

• Liked — Quiet room- great service very friendly staff, location
  • Disliked — Only two lifts- be patient you are on holiday
  • Tips/Secrets — Contact hotel in advanc if you have special request
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank SurreyDave
Frankfurt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2006

We stayed at the Majestic Grande in November and had booked it through their website at a very reasonable rate.
The hotel is perfect: great service, very nice breakfast buffet in nice surounding.
The location is very close to the Skyrail station.
The room was of average size, but newly furnished and everything was very modern.
This would definetely my choice of hotel for my next stay.

Stayed October 2006
4 Thank arnsch
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2006

My husband & I (early 30's) stayed at this hotel based on the reviews on this site and were so glad we did. Although we reserved this hotel for the beginning and end of our trip to Thailand, we actually stayed in 3 different rooms! Upon check-in at the beginning of our trip the hotel told us that they were full so they would have to upgrade us & apologized for it. We were so thrilled but there was a catch - we would have to check-out of the room the next day and check into a new room.

So we got to our room (#2501) and learned that it's on the top floor and is a suite with a soaker tub and separate living room. Beautiful room. We were so tired from our 17 hour flight so my husband ordered room service - a club house sandwich with fries and a coke for 210 baht. The prices are not bad for room service and he swears it's the best club sandwich he has had.

The next morning we told the hotel that our bags are packed in the room and they can move our bags over to the new room whenever they want as we wanted to spend the whole day site seeing. We came back to the hotel in the evening and the hotel moved us to room #2401 - another beautiful large room.

Kai the doorman is super nice and works the evening shifts. He's a great person to ask questions.

At the end of our trip we came back to the hotel for one night and this time got the room we actually reserved (still super clean and nice). Our flight wasn't until midnight so the hotel allowed us to use the showers on the 7th floor in the spa to freshen up for our long flight.

I agree with the people on this site who have said that the breakfast buffets are superb - there so fresh and delicious. My only advice is to get the Nancy Chandler map of Bangkok. I got mine from a book store across the street from the Grand Palace for 180 baht. It helps so much and has a real detailed map of Sukhumvit Road, where the Majestic Grande is located.

Hope this review helps.

• Liked — Great location, price, staff, and cleanliness.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Get the Nancy Chandler map of Bangkok.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank rgirn
lincolnshire.uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2006

From the moment we stepped through the door until the moment we left we where treated like special people by very special people.
The bedroom the restaurant the staff throughout made our visit and stay memorable.
This is a big recommendation well deserved.
From ; John,Sylvia,Peter and Olive...Lincolnshire UK

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — possibly the hawkers in the street
  • Tips/Secrets — enjoy the service