“Great location if you're on a budget, but its a budget travel experience”
Review of City Lodge Soi 9

City Lodge Soi 9
Ranked #486 of 880 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The hotel is good if you're going to spend most of your time outside the hotel, need awesome access to MRT, and can't afford to spend money.

I went here since I need to do some business in Bangkok

I didn't know how things will turn out, so I decide to keep a tight lid on cost.

This hotel definitely good value for location if you're on a budget.

It's very near an MRT (2-3 minutes walk).

Although the service is good (front desk is fast and friendly) but in term of room quality, the budget experience is intense.

The room is small, cramp, ill equipped (old TV), and smelly.

I brought my own sheet to anticipate the budget experience, and I was glad I did.

Breakfast exist but bare.

My room felt so cramp I cannot wait to leave it and just walk around Bangkok.

Understand the benefits but be ready to accept the negatives

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SendyFilemon
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 9, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and kind comments about the staff and the service, much appreciated. We were sorry to read however that your experience with the room did not meet completely your expectations, and we have duly taken note of your comments for future improvements, including your mention on the sheets, which I was very concerned to read.
Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Yours sincerely

Alexandre Frenkel

There are newer reviews for City Lodge Soi 9

Reviewed March 28, 2013

City Lodge is right on Nana BTS station, which was literally 5 meters from my window! That makes it very easy to move around using the train, while on the same time it's not an issue when it comes to noise (I was a bit worried about that after reading some reviews here..). Of course it's also very easy to walk around as well, since you're in the middle of Nana-Sukhumvit area. The room is small but clean, good wi-fi, safe and a bathroom that comes with a bathtub. The staff was ok with me during my 2 days stay, smily and helpful. No facilities other than a reception but there is free breakfast (eggs and sausage) served at "The Game", the bar next door. All the above combined with the really good price, make this hotel a good choice for a short stay downtown Bangkok.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 9, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

"Ευχαριστώ" (thank you) for your review. We are glad to have visitors from Corfou at the City Lodge Soi 9 and appreciate you kind feedback about the hotel. We were happy to read that you had a comfortable stay with us and hope to welcoming you back. Yours sincerely.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Very handy but be warned, it has a very small entrance and you can easily miss it altogether. Staff pleasant and efficient and rooms very clean and well maintained. Privately owned but managed by amari hotels so that gives you an idea of the standard. Our room, window latch broken but otherwise very nice and pleasant. Pity no balcony or pool but is only about a 30 room hotel. Only stayed one night but what a joy after the helhole we were in around the corner in soi 7 the previous night. You can find cheaper but doubt you would get the and all the chaos. Same standard.
Very handy as you literally step out the front door onto Bangkoks main road. Would definitely stay here again as for the price you will be hard pressed to find better in Bangkok
Tip: get a room at the back as front quiet noisy

Room Tip: stay at the back and high up. front very noisy
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We appreciate your kind comments, and my collegues will be happy to read that their efforts are recognised. For future reference, even though there is no swimming-pool at the City Lodge Soi 9, guests are welcome to use the pool located at the Amari Boulevard located on Soi 5 at no extra charge. Yours sincerely.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and got a free upgrade to the superior room. Hotel is literally steps away from the Nana BTS station. In the day time the streets are peaceful but come night fall, the area is transformed as street vendors setup their carts and there are many pubs around. Place becomes rather seedy so beware of this. Rooms are clean but have only basic ammenties. Hair dryer only available through request. No electric kettle facility. Hope the management can improve on this. Wifi in room is very stable- good plus point.

• Stayed: March 2013
Alexandre_Frenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 9, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write after your four nights stay at the City Lodge, Soi 9.
We appreciate your detailed review about the location and the quality of the Wifi, but have taken duly note of your comment regarding hair dryers and electric kettle for future improvements.
Yours sincerely.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I am in this hotel and check-in today. And I stayed other hotel in Bangkok, 3 nights.
Location is very good (just 1 minute on foot from BTS Nana station exit no.1) but rooms are just front of the station. You can see the people who is in the station through your window. The thing is your window is one whole side of your room so it is very noisy.
WIFI is free and working good in a room too but you should ask user id and password to staff. They will give it to you but can use 24 hours only (written on paper which staff gave to me) so I think I have to ask to them everyday.
Everything is clean but old include furnitures, refrigerator and A/C too. A/C is very old so makes terrible noise more than outside. And if you are not smoker, you have to check a room first before check-in because everybody can smoking in a room so it will smelling.
The staffs are not nice to everybody. I met 2 staffs, they never smiled even i said thank you to them with big smile and good voice. If you are a man from America or Europe, they will serve you very friendly. I saw one of the staff talked with 2 different guys, she smiled and made some jokes too. But for us, no! But the cleaning lady was kind, even she can not speak English.
If you do not have money at all, this hotel will be good for you but you have to fight with noisy. If you have enough money for better than this hotel, do not try to save money, just try to find othet hotel.
I really wanna move to other hotel but I already paid for 2 night more when I booked this hotel, so I can't. Why I tried to save 250 BAHT for one night!!!

BTS 나나역 1번출구에서 도보 1분입니다. 하지만 방 한 쪽면의 대형창문이 역 쪽이라서 지하철역 안 사람들을 다 볼 수 있고 시끄럽습니다. 전체적으로 오래되서 싼 여관의 느낌이지만 청소는 깨끗하게 하는 것 같습니다. 에어컨이 엄청 시끄럽습니다. 바깥의 소음보다 더 시끄러워요. 리셉션 여직원들이 친절하지 않습니다. 백인 남자손님들에게는 친절하더군요. 방에서 담배를 필 수 있어서 냄새가 배어있는 방이 있으니 체크인 전에 방부터 확인하셔야 합니다. 이 곳보다 조금 더 시설 좋은 곳에 가실 돈이 있다면 그 곳으로 가세요. 여긴 나나역에 가까운 것 말고는 큰 장점이 없어요. 와이파이는 방에서도 잘 되는데 아이디랑 비번을 리셉션에서 받아와야하고 24시간만 사용하다고 종이에 적혀있기 때문에 매일 새로 받아와야 하는 것 같아요.

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback. We were glad to read that you enjoyed our location. In regards to the Wifi, we have now adjusted the settings so that each log-in can be for more than 24 hours.
I was sorry to read about your experience with the room and have also related your comment to my colleagues in regards to the attitude you encountered, and wish to offer our sincere apologies if this has inconvenienced your stay with us. Yours sincerely.

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Had the pleasure to stay here from 7 Dec to 10 Dec. The room I got was huge and comfortable. Very strategically located as BTS Nana Station is basically at the door step, 7-11 is just around the corner and you will not go hungry staying here, street food to Fast Food to Indian Food are all within walking distance! My room includes Set Breakfast from the Sports Bar next door, had really good Egg and Sausage Combo while I was there. Sure it is not the Four Seasons, but the great staff and great location is all that matters! Enjoyed my stay here, will recommend this place to my friends and looking forward to another stay here soon!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kealchg
ABFrenkel, General Manager at City Lodge Soi 9, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Than kyou for taking the time to write and about your great comment. We are glad you enjoyed the convenience of our location and appreciate your kind note about the team. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I find it hard to imagine a more convenient location in BKK than City Lodge, especially at this price. It is literally meters from the Nana BTS station, which makes it very easy access to the rest of the city. Rooms are a bit worn to be sure, but are of totally acceptable quality. Air conditioning works and showers are hot with good water pressure. Furthermore, the staff here are extremely friendly and helpful, and security is good. I am a light sleeper at the best of times but despite it's location close to the Sukhumvit and BTS station I slept very well here and did not find the noise a problem at all. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay, and appreciate your kind comments regarding the team, which we have passed on. Yours sincerely.