“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #94 of 1,245 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
London
“Wonderful experience”
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Bangkok, by its very nature, is a lively, bustling and noisy city, but within this Chakrabongse Villas somehow manages to envelop you in calm luxury. We can't talk highly enough about our experience here. The location is wonderful and picturesque, with the dining area situated on the river side with breathtaking views of the temples. What made this whole experience for us was the care and attention of the staff, both Sunny and Ran. On our first day we accidentally fell foul to one of the many tourist traps, but when we returned and spoke to the staff they lept up to help us and seemed genuinely concerned. Luckily for us the scam was very minor, but still unsettling. Sunny and Ran arranged for us to have a wonderful dinner in the best location, with views that took the whole previous experience away. I would definitely recommended this hotel to anyone and everyone -5 star location, 5 star customer service.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Thai first
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I recently contacted the hotel to arrange an event for a very special occasion. I live in Bangkok and called a couple of days ahead to set the appointment. I was told the date for the event I was looking at was not available but the previous night would be. As I was keen on the place for the event, I re-arranged my plans to suit. On my way there, I called again to confirm and make sure I had the directions right. I should have been concerned right from the start at the tone on the call: blank - nobody knew I was coming. When I arrived, I was asked to wait and when a manager of sorts finally appeared, I was told off at least three times for not making an appointment and disturbing the guests. Although I repeated that I'd called and understood the "do not disturb our guests" policy, I was starting to get upset at the sheer rudeness of the man. So much for customer service and guest relations. When I finally was shown the event venue, the attitude of the staff involved was a very clear "We can't be bothered". The icing on the cake was when I was eventually told that the date I had re-scheduled to was now also booked. A nice way of putting the fact that my event was clearly not wanted. I have lived, worked and studied in Thailand for many years and this is by far the worst treatment I have received. It was a huge disappointment which unfortunately is not an isolated incident in "exclusive" places such as this. My advice to visitors to Bangkok: take your money elsewhere. That's what I've done with my event and so far have been treated very well & with great respect for my special celebration. There are other quirky little places in Bangkok to allow you to have a great holiday int the Land of Smiles without having to deal with the contempt on display at this "Villa".

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Mill07
Reviewed January 14, 2012

Charming hotel with excellent service and great location. Perfect for those who want to stay away from the growds and still be at the heart of the main tourist attractions. If it wasn't for this hotel our experience of Bangkok would have been completely different. This hotel allowed us to switch off from the hustle and bustle on the streets of Bangkok and escape into a tranquil and peaceful pradise on the bank of the river. Our room was tasteful and unique it had been beautifully designed in a morrican theme with every attention to detail given. I would highly reccomend this hotel for couples or families looking for a place to stay in Bangkok and want a relaxing time in beautiful surroundings and the chance to escape into a blissful haven. If you want a relaxing re-treat in the centre of Bangkok look no further !!!

• Stayed January 2012
JasmineHolidays
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Chakrabongse used to have no sign on the gate - it was very hard to find. I noticed on my second visit here that they now have a sign - things are changing!

There's a lot of history to Chakrabongse which you'll find on their website. The story is fascinating in itself.

Chakrabongse is unique in Bangkok - a royal residence just a short distance from the Grand Palace and overlooking the Chao Praya River. I would describe it as like staying in a rich relations' private house - it's quite unlike staying in a hotel. Staying here is an experience in itself - so different to a hotel stay.

They've added some new rooms in the past year or so. The rooms in the main building are small (in fact very small - 12 square m) - so bear that in mind if you need space. In my opinion though, these rooms are OK and offer a more cost effective way to stay in this great little boutique hotel. 12 square metres is half the size of a small hotel room - so bear that in mind though!

For better rooms, go for one of the villas. The Chinese Suite is especially large and ideal for families - it features some great antique furniture.

Love the RIver View Suite - what a great terrace to relax on and watch river life go by. I really like the Thai House as well - it's got bags of character.

The pool is a good size - if there's only a couple of people in the hotel, it's like having your own private pool.

Then of course, there's the restaurant overlooking the river. What a romantic place for dinner. Food is excellent - it's not cheap, but for a romantic dinner it's hard to beat in Bangkok.

For anyone looking for a special place to stay in Bangkok, Chakrabongse is a wonderful choice but bear in mind that it's not a hotel in the traditional sense.

Room Tip: Chinese Suite - great for Families, River Suite for river views, Thai House for character - the room...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed two nights here in late july 2011. It's a really special place with tons of character but it's not for everyone. It's not a full service hotel, the river view room has little configuration quirks (like the two big steps down from the bedroom into the bathroom and the steep shallow steps that you walk up to get to the room) . None of the quirks are bad, they add to the charm but this isn't the peninsula (and i didn't want it to be) The location is great to see Wat Pho, and Wat phra kaeo. You are steps away from those sites AND you are right on the River. In the other direction there is the flower market and great street food. You also are within walking distance to nice little places to eat like Coconut Palm and Chote Chitr. The staff can't be more friendly and helpful in whatever you need. We stayed in the River View room. Great room with a private deck that overlooks the river and a nice little sitting room. AC, wireless internet and a firm but comfortable bed. The room was very clean, as it should be for the price. Expensive, yes but I felt i got my money's worth.
The only reason i don't think it's for everyone is that there is no spa, no fitness center and the restaurant on site is not always open. Don't come here if you are looking for that type of place. There are only 7 rooms in the place so you can't expect a chief to be at your service at all hours. You are not going to get room service when you want. Breakfast was included and good but if you sleep in you can not just walk down to the buffet and get something. I also think the River View room is a few notches above the other rooms. The other rooms don't have river front views with the private deck so some of the magic might not be there. Still we loved every second we were there.

Room Tip: splurge for the river room for a real treat
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Dion S
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We spent a most enjoyable three nights in the Riverview villa. Some highlights:
1. Our lodging included an enclosed veranda, a sitting room with desk, bedroom, kitchenette, bathroom. The veranda proved to be an ideal place to relax and watch the monsoon thunderstorms. In fact, it is hard to not to be pretty laid back as soon as you set foot on the premises, in contrast to the other high end hotels we stayed at in Bali and Phuket. A tasty breakfast is included, served outdoors on a covered deck overlooking the water.
2. Sensational location in old Bangkok overlooking the Choa Praya, with view of Wat Arun across the river. A short walk to Chinatown and the Royal Palace, and convenient to water transport.
3. A very nice, mostly deserted, swimming pool set in a tranquil tropical garden.
4. Attentive, friendly staff full of good advice about what to do in the city.
5. There's no restaurant on the premises, but that is basically a non-issue since there are about 10,000 eateries within walking distance.

Room Tip: The Chinese villa is larger (and more expensive), but does not have direct access to the river decks...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NinthCircle
Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Amidst the crowds and chaos of bustling Bangkok lies this gem of a hotel. Situated by the Chao Praya river, The Chakrabongse Villas has one of the best views of Wat Arun. I chose this hotel based on recommendations from several guide books plus the location was an ideal jump off point to all the main tourist attractions of Bangkok namely Wat Arun, Wat Po and the Grand Palace. Unfortunately we only stayed in Bangkok overnight so we were pressed for time in terms of maximizing our trip to the Old City. The great thing about this place is that it is a 5 minute walk to pretty much all the major tourist attractions which made it ideal for us to pick this place. Alongside the gorgeous setting and rich history of the place, the staff was incredibly helpful and downright amazing. They made sure that we were comfortable and even suggested a few restaurants nearby for us to eat in - the Coconut Palm was great - good food and real value for money. The room was spacious and nice ( we had the Garden Suite). Wish we could've stayed longer here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple