“Small room but cozy”
Review of Wendy House

Wendy House
Ranked #26 of 731 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Our booking was made by emailing them directly. No credit card info was told, with only name and contact info, they did reserve the rooms for us!! When we arrived, their staff welcomed us with a lovely smile and showed us how to use their facilities.Their rooms were well-equipped, and the shower was hot. Two bottle of water was provided in the fridge, and a kettle too, if you'd like to make your own hot coffee or tea, given you have instant coffee or tea bags with you : ), breakfast was not bad with bread,egg and fruits. (You can check from their website.)
Location was just wonderful, near Rama I road a. I strongly suggest that you take the Sky Train (get off at the BTS National Stadium station, exit 1) rather than taxi as the ground traffic in Bangkok at the moment was A REAL MESS. (When we took a cab from the Grand Palace to the hotel, we got stuck for nearly 75 minutes!!) If you need travel info, they would show you the way to a travel agency. And if you need a massage after one-day's walking, as a Wendy House guest, you can get 10% discount at the opposite massage store.
However, their wall was thin, and with the noize from the air-con external units on the wall and the motorbikes on the streets, if you are a light sleeper, it would be a little hard to get asleep. And there was ONLY ONE socket in room, which was obviously inadequate.

Room Tip: Try lower floor if you are carrying a heavy bag as their stairs were REALLY STEEP. And try not to bo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Agnes Y

Reviewed February 3, 2014

After living in Bangkok for 7 months, this is with no doubt the best place to stay! I always feels so home here and I have been here so many times and keep coming back for: the friendly staff, good breakfast, clean rooms, and BEST location in Bangkok. Skip Khao San Road and stay at Soi Kasem San 1 instead - close to everything you need: Siam Square, MBK, Paragon, Thompson house, Victory Monument.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Via Trip Advisor recommendations I booked a single night accommodation at the Wendy House for a layover and then another 3 nights before departing Thailand.

All bookings were done on-line via the Wendy House email address and all communications were timely.

Following the advice and instructions on the Wendy House website, I took the train from the Bangkok Airport and got off the train at Siam Station (as instructed on the website). The train ride entails taking the train from the airport to the final station and then transferring train lines.

Following the advice of the owner of a previous guest house in Chiang Mai, I telephoned Wendy House from Siam Station to inquire as to which exit I should take out of the station (as there are many to choose from). The person answering the phone did not speak English but quickly put an English speaking staff member on the phone who told me that I should not be at Siam Station but rather National Stadium station. A mis-step along the way (going in the wrong direction, then having to carry my heavy luggage down a flight of stairs to get going in the right direction), I found myself at National Stadium. I had paid fare only to Siam Station but quickly rectified the error and got myself onto the other side of the exit gate. There appear to be four exits out of National Stadium station. I easily found an English speaking local and I showed him the location of Wendy House on the map. He pointed at the exit (near the Mazda dealership) that he thought was correct. I carried my luggage down the staircase (there are no escalators) and proceeded in the direction. I easily found Soi Kasemsan 1 only a 1/2 block from where I exited the station. About 3/4 the way down the Soi on the left-hand side is the Wendy House.

Check-in went smoothly. I was asked to pre-pay for the evening's stay. Given the advice on this site I requested a second floor room. Really great advice as the steel staircase is narrow and there is no elevator. To access the portion of the second floor I was on, you have to get past a steel pillar on an awkward corner of the staircase. I requested assistance with my bag and a porter/male employee happily carried my heavy bag up to my room. I tipped him $2 US for his assistance.

My room (#222, I believe), looked out across an alley to another building. Not an issue as it was dark. Air conditioning was definitely a requirement on this evening and the air conditioner had no moldy smell to it.

The room is very, very small. I was travelling solo and travelled with a single large piece of luggage. If two people were staying in this room, I have no clue where they would store their luggage and the only scenario I see working is if they were travelling with backpacks. Two people in this room would definitely necessitate closing up your luggage and standing it up after every use. Laying it on the floor wouldn't be an option.

The bathroom was very clean and had everything I needed. A hairdryer and kettle were additional items I was surprised and happy to see.

The bed was comfortable as were the pillows. I did find it necessary to sleep with earplugs because of a yappy dog that barked for hours on end and also from a little bit of noise from within the hotel.

There is no closet in the room but four hooks on the wall with four hangers.

The room had two drinking glasses and two coffee mugs. On inspection before using, one mug had lipstick stains on the rim.

The staff was helpful in providing a simple map to the MBK mall (a short block away on the other side of the very busy street, and the other side of National Stadium). The staff offered to arrange a taxi for my morning return to the airport and told me that my price would be 350 BHT.

Upon check out I called the desk and asked for assistance in carrying my luggage down the staircase. I was told that there was no porter on duty at that hour. I explained that my luggage was heavy and the staircase steep and I needed someone to assist. A moment later a lady came upstairs and with each of us grabbing an end of the duffle bag on wheels we carried the bag down the stairs.

On my return toBangkok some 19 days later, I took a taxi from the aiport to the Wendy House (450 BHT). Check in went smoothly again. I was asked to pre-pay for my three nights stay. I again asked for assistance to carry my luggage to the room (#224) which was provided without any attitude whatsoever. I tipped the porter $2 US for his assistance.

This room was identical to the previous room. All the exact same bathroom items and cups/glasses were in the room. This time, the cups were clean.

Every morning I would leave 20 BHT under the pillow for the cleaner. There was really not much to clean as the sheets are not changed daily (and I don't expect them to be changed daily) and the towels are only changed if you leave them on the floor (I did not). I was disappointed to see on my 3rd day that none of the shampoo had been replenished (I used my own this day), the bathroom sink had not been cleaned at all, and I suspect the entire bathroom had been skipped except to change the wet bathmat.

The air conditioner in this room did not smell moldy.

Breakfasts at the Wendy House are complimentary. They offer a wide variety of food items: eggs cooked to order; wholewheat and white bread (you toast it yourself); homemade (delicious) yogurt; a variety of fresh fruit (watermelon, pineapple, bananas); coffee; tea; dry cereals; croissants; jam.

The staff was, once again, very helpful whenever I opened the map and asked questions. They, once again, arranged a taxi for my late-evening departure.

Being I had a late-evening departure, I stored my luggage (now two pieces!) in their locked room for the day. I returned to the Wendy House in the evening and signed out my luggage, used the clean bathroom facilities off the main floor to change clothes. My taxi arrived an hour early. I wasn't prepared to go to the airport four hours before departure but the good English speaking desk staff assured me the taxi driver was content to wait another hour (which he did).

On my final day, the staff told me about the canal at the end of the Soi. I visited the Jim Thomson House the final day and walked to the canal where I caught a boat and went to the Palladium Shopping Centre. Nothing there I wanted to purchase but I loved riding the canal boats for 10 BHT.

In summary, the rooms are very basic and very small. However, if you are travelling solo or you're a couple travelling with little baggage, then the Wendy House is a very convenient and reasonably priced option. It is situated within walking distance to the shopping meccas of MBK station and Siam Centre and a short walk from National Stadium (use the exit nearest the 7/11).

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank Bubblybrenda
Reviewed January 18, 2014

traveled solo and had a wonderful time at this place! the location is perfect, especially for someone travelling to bangkok for the first time. it's only 5 minutes away (on foot) from the national stadium station and 10-15 minutes walking distance from big shopping malls like mbk and siam paragon. the jim thompson house and museum is also very close by. getting around town is very convenient. there's a bus from the bus station across the street from siam paragon that goes straight to the grand palace (learned from the wonderful lady at the information booth right in front of siam paragon) which i would suggest you take if you're up early and have some time to kill.
the guesthouse is small but very impressive. it's the little details in the room that make it really charming - the coffeemaker, the hairblower, the bedroom slippers, fridge, tv, 3 sets of clean towels, small emergency flashlight, bath gel, soap, shampoo, etc.. value for your money. housekeeping also kept my room tidy everyday.
and the staff at the front desk are wonderful! they are always cheerful and ready to help. checking in and out were smooth, and there's always a friendly exchange between the staff and the guests.
all in all it was a great stay and would gladly stay at wendyhouse again nxt time i visit bangkok.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 14, 2014

When I moved from the 5 star suite in Diamond Plaza, Bangkok, to Wendy house in the same
city I felt some doubts about my decision of changing hotel because my room in Wendy house was really small. Yet soon I noticed that everything I needed was there and also clean.The staff was very friendly and helpful and the included breakfast was GREAT. After 2 short trips I returned every time to Wendy house and if I should visit Bangkok another time in the future my choice of hotel would doubtlessly be WENDY HOUSE.
The hotel that is run by women, keeps a strict zero point policy against sex tourism and more over is also helping poor children to go to school by selling different items to their guests.

Because of Wendy House Bangkok became more for me than only a place for shopping and tourism.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Brigitta J
Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed for the 3rd time at wendy house this last new year's eve. We enjoyed our stay as much as we did the 2 previous stays. Very friendly and helpfull staff, confortable room for that category, very good breakfast and excellent location (close to sky train, buses, airport city link, shopping centres). The best accomodation in that street. Will definitely go back next Christmas when stopping over in bangkok.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with windows as some of them might be blind.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Our first stay in Thailand was here. The taxi had a bit of a time trying to find it, so bring the Thai map. The beds are a bit hard, but it was simple and a good price over high season travelling. The breakfasts are amazing.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple