“Probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
Review of Miami Hotel

Miami Hotel
Ranked #687 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
ozzie in Asia
“Probably the worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
Reviewed March 14, 2007

This hotel was bad when I stayed there for the first time in 1989, so my expectations were not high when I stayed there again last year. It's not just that the rooms are in an appalling state, what makes this place the absolute pits is the attitude of the staff, several of whom are members of the owning family. Whatever you do, don't ever even think about staying on the ground floor. One night, it rained heavily and when i got back to my room it was knee-deep in flood water which had surged up from a mains drain. My possessions were floating around with bits of sewage! The receptionist said they would put me in another room for the night. The following day the room had been "drained" but not disinfected. When I asked them if they would disinfect the room a member of the owning family said that they would use disinfectant if I went to buy it from the local supermarket. Even though I had payed for several days in advance I checked out and I would never go back there again, not for all the tea in China.

Stayed April 2006
4 Thank ozzie43

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
Paris
Reviewed January 18, 2007

Fairly good considering the price and the excellent location. I was there in 1975 and 1976, nothing had changed, quite amazing.

• Liked — Its location, its old fashioned style
  • Disliked — ----
  • Stayed July 2005, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
5 Thank LéonParis
Reviewed April 29, 2006

The rate of 800 bucks is more than it's worth for even if it was cleaned.
We came 0400 AM and asked specificly of the rate for only one day since we would leave at 10PM. The manager answered 800 bath, we payed and got a receipet. while coming back after a long day in town to get a shower before getting to the airport the day-manager claimed us for another 800bath saying that WE made a mistace! Since we've gone over the check out time at noon we should pay again. He wouldn't agreed that the mistace was made by the hotel, instead he sat with his armes crossed and called us idiots and morons and was screaming all the time. We wouldn't get the key if we didn't pay up.
It was the worst experiance of hotel staying we even seen.
Stay out of there!

• Stayed April 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Reviewed February 16, 2006

Hotel is a complete tourist trap, mainly because its in the lonely planet guide.

Shouldn't be more than 300 baht per night, they charged me 800 baht, for the same price you can stay at the woraburi hotel - speaks for itself.

I am no hotel snob, i stayed in lots of budget accomodation however found this place to be a dive, its the way the pretend its a luxury hotel then you discover the rooms have around 4 different carpets put together to cover the shabbey floor lights hanging from ceilings, etc etc.

Would be a great wee place for budget travellers if if cost backpackers money,, i certainly wouldnt pay any more than 500 baht a night for it, and thats pushing it

• Stayed January 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 13, 2006

Feeling of past colonialism. In Havanna or Rio you would consider Miami hotel luxury.
I asked how long they will still exsist between pressure of rising skyscrapers. They promised to stay forever. I promised to stay as customer as long.

800baht / double.

Just to meet my requirements.

Greetings
Pekka from Finland

• Stayed January 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 3, 2005

Very cheap, and you certainly get what you paid for. Everything was at least 40 years old. Room had A/C, but with such a high ceiling it was completely useless. I ended up pulling the hard, old mattress right next to the unit so that I didn't boil. After one night I was out of there, I'm not sure how anyone could put up with much more than that, let alone two weeks like a previous reviewer..... Even if you're on a tight budget, I'd say this place is pretty close to a last resort..... and quite far from anything resembling a "resort" at that.

Pros: Friendly staff
Cons: Everything ancient/borderline dilapidated, room very hot, bed large but uncomfortable.

• Stayed June 2005
8 Thank allez-cisse
Reviewed July 2, 2005

I stayed at the Miami Hotel for Two weeks recently. Not the sort of place that i would usually stay (Usually the Dusit Thani in BKK), but had friends staying there, so wanted to be close. The rooms are average, cleanish, and very noisy at the moment. There are new apartment blocks under construction on both sides of this hotel, and the noise starts early, and goes until late. Not great if you wish to see some of the Bangkok nightlife, and sleep in the next morning. It is possible to sleep in spite of this. The location is good, near to BTS, starbucks 5 mins walk near Soi 5.
Very cheap for longer term. Had to buy own pillows as those provided were not condusive to sleep. But pliiows are cheap in Bkk.

• Stayed June 2005