New Siam Guest House II
$316
$251
$162
$145
All reviewskhao san roadair congreat locationthe riversoi rambuttrirooms are basic but cleansmall poolgrand palaceluggage storagehot showercable tvpaid bahtquiet locationtravel agentstayed here for nightsthe ground floorstreet food
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights (Room 2229- Old Building) to break up my long flight from the UK, Bangkok is not my cup of tea! The hotel is easy to find but would NOT recommend using their airport transfer service as advertised online at 900+ Baht one way (pick up a metered taxi for 300- 400 Baht at airport). The staff are friendly enough and would recommend using the tour agents (MaiSiam) who are more than reasonably priced!! The beer is probably the best price I found during my 2 week stay in Thailand and the food is OK but you can find everything on the menu cheaper just a few footsteps away! The pool is always full of families who obviously go on holiday to stay in the hotel all day. 5mins walk to Khao San Rd and within seconds from Soi Rambuttri, far enough to have a good nights sleep without thumping music (main attraction). The rooms are equipped with safe's (1000Baht deposit on arrival), warm showers (Bathroom very cramped!) and A/C. The stairs are very narrow so not ideal for backpackers.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed in 3 different rooms here. First in the old building, where the a/c didn't work too well (it refused to turn off). Then the second room in the new building was mildly more expensive (not sure for what..). The hot water didn't work. Ok, on to room #3. Once settled, they knocked on my door to say they miscalculated the rate and would subtract the difference from the 500 Baht deposit for the plastic card key. Fine, but did you have to get me out of bed for that? The staff at the front desk were a bunch of unfriendly grumps. The kitchen and serving staff were nice though. The pool was full of screaming kids most of the time. So that was not too useful either.
All in all, a decent place if you need to stay somewhere in a hurry, but if you have some time you can plan something better.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you don't have much valuable with you and you're just looking for a place to lay your head at night and dump your stuff in the day then I'd recommend this place. low season 350baht, high season 370baht, like, 7quid/10dollars to stay in a double room with shared bathroom just off Khao San but tucked away enough that you can honestly get a decent night's sleep without having to drink too much to knock yourself out.

Shared bathroom was infact shared with about 15 other room at least, 2 toilets, 2 showers and 1 urinal, having said that I never had to race anyone to get there first they were always free and clean. The rooms were decent, as I say I wouldn't leave the crown jewels in there but if you have your own padlock you can use the safes downstairs free of charge which is handy.

In all honesty though the staff were all pretty terrible, the waitresses were nice enough, it would be the receptionists that were the main culprits, especially the chap that takes over for late afternoon/evening.. there are some people in the world that are just not cut out for customer facing job roles, this guy is my example.

The food in the restaurant is nice and dead cheap for the area was a real bargain. I'd never seen apple pancakes anywhere though so I gave them a try, if you take anything away from this review is do not try the apple pancakes!

Room Tip: ask for a room towards the left hand side of the building, the rooms with higher numbers, they're away from the main street... if that's not too much trouble for the receptionist!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We arrived late one evening with no reservation. They were quick enough to arrange a triple room for us and check us in. They requested a 500 baht deposit, which is normal in Thailand for the key. The staff here were not really friendly here as with all the other places I have visited in Thailand over the years. So much so that you could possibly question whether you were in 'The land of smiles'. Room was ok, spacious and clean. Upon departure the next morning they tried to charge me for the key as the key card I was giving them back was apparently not the key card they had issued to me upon arrival. Strange as it let me in and out of my room every time i tried. I argued this fact to them and they would not listen. As a hotel manager I know the cost to produce these key cards, I pay about 2p per card with our logo etc printed onto them. These were plain so would cost less. They gave me my deposit back after putting up a fight. As a hotel manager I know the importance of Tripadvisor and the effects it can have and would the conversation/situation ended nicely then I wouldn't have left this review but the final departing words from who looked like to be the reception manager was "I'm certain you have lost our key" no sign of - have a nice day or have a safe journey home. Nothing but pure rudeness!

Room Tip: choose a room in another hotel with caring staff
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 92travel_addict
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here at the start and end of trip in Thailand. Would definitely stay here again. It has everything you need. Friendly & helpful staff, clean facilities, close to everything. Only a 5 min walk to Koh San Road. Pictures do not do this place any justice. We also left some of our stuff in their storage facilities for a month which was reasonably priced (15 baht a day). Only fault was the air con was extremely noisy but apart from this is was a really nice stay on both occasions.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple