“Best accommodation I've had in Bangkok”

Centre Point Sukhumvit 10
Ranked #146 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have stayed in Bangkok on many occasions during my 13 years living in Asia. I had normally opted for mid-to-higher range places in the Sukhumvit area such as Park View, Manhattan, Chatra Court (now Best Comfort), Zenith, Ambassador etc. But they have nearly all disappointed, either through poor customer service, being overly-priced, no free wi-fi, terrible breakfasts, 'non-smoking' rooms that reek of tobacco, filthy pools, or simply shabby rooms in need of renovation.

Well, as long as the price remains reasonable (but I presume this will be seasonal), I can't see myself staying anywhere but Centre Point in future. This was my second stay and it is excellent. For less than a small, shabby room in a 4-5 star hotel, why not have a full serviced apartment with 5-star amenities?

The view from the balcony was excellent, and the full kitchen, laundry, hi-fi and DVD facilities in the rooms are useful for extended stays. The living room was spacious and comfortable with large windows. The pool was lovely, and the breakfast above-average. I usually expect my hotels to match the kind of standard of living I have at home. I have to say, Centre Point is much nicer than my place in Mumbai!

The location is about a 5-10min walk down from Sukhumvit but there is a free shuttle tuk-tuk that regularly takes you to the high street or back. The service is so good that if the driver recognises you, he will pick you up on the way. Well worth giving him a tip (not that I saw many other guests doing this, unfortunately).

Service throughout is polite and charming. Staff have clearly been well-trained. For example, they forgot to return my THB1000 deposit when I checked out. I emailed them about this a few days later and they replied within 24 hours. That puts most hotels to shame.

One catch is that room services closes with the kitchen at 10pm, but that's a small price to pay for staying somewhere MUCH better than most Bangkok hotels. Anyway, you can always order a delivery from local restaurants.

Room Tip: In my first night, I was put in a 'garden room' (i.e. ground floor). This was fine: spacious...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
suthee C, Front Office Manager at Centre Point Sukhumvit 10, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Thank you for your praised comments on our service provided, we hope that we will be at your service again in the future.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in July 2012 for vacation. Arrived very late by taxi but my room cards were waiting at reception and bags taken up for me. I was given a quick lowdown on the room by the porter. The room I chose was a "deluxe 38sqm" and was well priced including breakfast for 2. Breakfast offering was very good, if you can't find something to eat here it's your own fault. A full range of hot dishes, cooked to order eggs etc, pastries, fresh fruit, cereals, PROPER coffee and fruit juices. I thought it was very good. Room was clean and spacious with a small kitchenette if you felt inclined to cook (I didn't). Good size balcony with lovely view over the lake. Usual toiletries in the bathroom. And a washing machine in the kitchen which would be great if you were traveling for a long period. WiFi is free and is very good. Staff are very friendly, especially the security and tuk tuk guys. The tuk tuk is a great service, but it's quite an easy walk from Sukhumvit. I didn't use the pool or games room so can't comment. There is a small "spa" downstairs and a convenience store too. Would absolutely stay here again for a Bangkok holiday. Be aware that they do require a cash room deposit or a hold on your credit card which takes 2 weeks to lift. Have the cash ready is my advice. Overall, very impressed.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The hotel is around 400 yards from Sukhumvit and then more or less the same to Asoke station.
Soi 10 is an "Alley", a dead end street, it seems like hot to walk during the day and dark at night They have a TuK Tuk which brings you to Sukhumvit but you have to walk back if you can not call them or have a Thai Telefon.
I arrived at around 11pm, a friendly man at the reception, gave him my reservation and waited and waited. Finally he told me the room is in the "Garden Wing". mentioning a price of 10400,- Bath plus Tax and service coming to more than 12 000,- when his helper came back with my Passport and Credit card and stub he had charged me 16 000,- Bath. The explanation he had was, it would be for anything which I might eat or drink and the rest it would be returned. This was my first upset. We went to the Garden Wing, passing through 3 doors to a building in the back. When the room was opened an awfull stink from smoking came out and I told him my reservation was for a nonsmoking room and a delux studio. so back we went . Arriving at the check in I looked at my reservation again were it said the 10400 Bath included the tax and service charge and that in fact had not booked a garden room.
now 20 minutes had passed, finally he found a one bedroom, up we went in the main building.
Yes it was a large one bedroom unit, full kitchen, Dining table for 4, living room with table chairs and a plastic sofa and TV.
When I turned on the Air Con which was outside of the bedroom window knew that it would be a horrible night with the horrible noise coming from it. So i let it cool down, turned it off, went to bed until the heat woke me up, turned it on and off until 8AM.
We went to breakfast at nine,checking out the food containers, there were only 3 strips of beacon in one, a few fried potatoes, 4 tomatoes, a few sausages, 3 different cheeses , 3 different cold cuts besides what else you find in Thai hotels for breakfast,when we came back later found only 1 beacon, 2 tomatoes and no sausages. But there was plenty of fruit around.
At that time I had made up my mind that I would not stay in this Hotel any longer and told
the Reception this. I was informed that i would have to pay for the 4 days i had booked.
When I showed them the Reservation slip where it said one night will be charged for no show and since I stayed one night they had no right to charge me 3 more and besides I was overcharged with the tax and also they had no right to charge me more than the room cost. Now it went from one woman to another they went into an office and out and no manager ever came,. At the end they told me the overcharge will be refunded in 7 days and they would only charge me an extra night. I told them that I think " you are black mailing me" but I am leaving.
We went to Majestic Grande for 3 nights and really liked this Hotel and which had one of the BEST breakfast in Thailand, besides it was only 100 yards from Sukhumvit

After returning to USA I send Booking.com a letter, it went back and forth relaying me messages from the hotel and why they would not refund me the second night i did not use.despite it clearly said one night well be charged >>>

Well, at the end American Express refunded me the money for the "Extra"night.

Room Tip: Check if everything works.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank erniep747
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Centre Point has the most amazing & friendly staff.
Always pleasant,happy & willing to help.
We were guests of my daughter,who was staying at Hotel.
Her 3 bedroom apartment was so spacious & well equipped.
The views were amazing from living room & all bedrooms.
Balconies that you can use were a bonus.
Would certainly stay again.
Quiet off main street,tuk tuk to drop you in centre conveniently runs all day & night.

Room Tip: Choose upper levels,if you like stunning night time views. Also lake views are pleasant.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trishc22
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Great service, luxurious room, the friendliest staff in the world, a delicious selection at breakfast. Really comfortable bed. Quiet, blackout curtains. Hard to find fault. Well done to all the staff here, a very professionally run hotel. We had a brilliant stay for 7 nights.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Maybe an odd title for a hotel review, but coming from Australia where hotel service is so hit and miss, it was a delight to stay in an establishment run by professionals who clearly have a lot of experience in dealing with travellers of many nationalities.

I have absolutely no complaints about Centre Point. Yes, it is a little inconveniently situated about 1km down Soi 10 off the Sukhumvit Rd. when you get caught in a tropical downpour, but there is a free tuktuk service all day and well into the evening, and in any case taxis are cheap and plentiful. The location works both ways - it's quiet and relatively free of the hustle and bustle and pollution of Sukhumvit Rd. The staff are a pleasure to deal with too - they are ready and willing to make your stay as relaxed and comfortable as possible without being obsequious, and - so important this - they show attention to detail. We needed an Aussie-Thai power adaptor for our laptop - literally five minutes after our phone request one appeared. Another phoned request for information about a new art museum was answered in just as short a time.

I had stayed in a small suite in the tower before and had been impressed by the facilities, this time my wife and I stayed in one of the Garden Suites, a huge apartment-like suite with a bathroom (incl.spa), dressing room, well-equipped kitchen and a huge bedroom with a massive bed which could be partially hidden by drawing sliding shutters halfway across the room. Both the bathroom and bedroom overlooked a tranquil topical garden just one floor below. The decor was perhaps a little bland (Phillip Starck it wasn't) but very well designed with bookshelves, massive cupboard and drawer space, and a entertainment system complete with CD/DVD player/radio and good loudspeakers.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention the excellent breakfast - an American-style buffet with an attendant sous chef to cook whatever style of eggs you may like, as well as good bread, quality preserves served loose (not in cheap plastic Kraft containers Australian hoteliers please note) as well as a large range of cooked meals catering for Asian tastes. And free newspapers and magazines to read as you sip your delicious cup of freshly made coffee!

You're probably getting the idea now - as well as providing good value accommodation for short stay tourists, Centre Point would be an excellent place to base yourself for an extended business trip with quick access to the skytrain and Metro, and all the bars and restaurants of the nearby Sukhumvit Rd. We didn't get time to rate the gym and swimming pool, but I'm sure other reviewers have good things to say about those facilities.

All in all a very happy stay. Although we've only given it four stars for reasons of comparison with five and six star hotels, I would say that that at Centre Point Sukhumvit you get five star value for three and a half star prices. Well recommended!

Room Tip: I've stayed in one of the Garden Suites and one of the smaller apartments in the tower. Both wer...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Probably one the the best apartment hotels we have stayed in. Good sized pool, free tuk tuk service to main road, clean and airy apartments,good size balcony which is a major plus point when u need some quite time. Also plenty of staurants in the vicinity. Washing machine in the apartment also very helpful when traveling with family.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family