“Good place to relax”

44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Good place to relax”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Located right across the palace to the north. We went there after vising the palace. There are many doves here and some street food vendors as well. While we're there an old lady approached us and offer to feed the bird. Don't fall for it as she might charged you a hefty price for it once you are finished. We politely said no and headed off to Wat Saket instead

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Worldwide
323 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 714 helpful votes
“If you're in the area..”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Much as I relish Bangkok's public spaces, this one doesn't inspire me - in its current form.

I first visited Sanam Luang when it was still the location of the main "street market" in Bangkok. That was sort-of interesting. Later, that market was relocated to Chatuchak, so that the space could be converted to a public park.

The history of this site is long and varied. The Wikipedia article on Sanam Luang covers some aspects of this, but is not complete.

Perhaps it's because of the location. Perhaps it's because of the layoug. Perhaps it's because of the vibe. But Sanam Luang may be the public space that least interests me, in its current form, in Bangkok.

YMMV, of course.

Visited October 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
796 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 914 helpful votes
“Heart and soul of Bangkok”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Sanam Luang encompasses much of what is good and also some of the bad of Thailand.

The good side:

Since investing in renovations a couple of years ago (including new turf and trees, as well as a fence that can be closed at night), Sanam Luang has become far more attractive. It offers nice open-distance views of the Grand Palace, good for photographs.

Sanam Luang is the site of royal cremation ceremonies, which are unbelieveably elaborate and ornate. It is also the venue for various public events are staged throughout the year, the most notable being the colorful and fascinating Royal Ploughing Ceremony, usually held in May. Toward the end of the dry season (March and April), when winds are steady, Sanam Luang becomes a colorful and cheerful place for kite flying. You can buy a paper kite and string for as little as 100 baht and enjoy a fun time among the hundreds of others.

Always lots of local food vendors around offering snacks and meals at a reasonable price. A great place for people watching!

The downside of Sanam Luang:

Because it attracts lots of tourists, especially those heading for the Grand Palace, Sanam Luang also attracts more than its share of touts and scam artists, including those trying to ply the old gem scam ("The Grand Palace is closed today for relious holiday, but I'll take you to a different place just as good."); intimidate you into paying an outrageous price for a bag of pigeon feed; or other such distractions. Be savvy.

Sanam Luang is encircled by busy streets, so is not really quiet. Be careful crossing the streets in reaching the oasis within.

Nightfall brings out a fair number of "tamarind ghosts"..... ladies of the night, who stand along Sanam Luang waiting to be picked up by passing motorists. Not a real problem, but may not be the cultural attraction you wish to encounter.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Raintree_Thailand
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Be careful when local asks you to feed the pigeons”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Sanam Luang is also known as Royal Field.

I was there in April 2013. I was walking on my way to Kao San Road from Grand Palace. I entered into the park area and a local guy with a fat lady came to me and brought me 2 packages of dried corn. He asked me to feed the pigeons. Of course, he did not tell me that I must pay for it. Once I finished feeding the birds, then this guy and the fat lady were surrounded me to force me to pay for 300B. I was scared and wanted to report to police but they did not let me go. As such, I had no choice but negotiated to pay 100B to get rid of the troubles.

I learnt a lesson in this trip to Bangkok that the tourist area in Bangkok is too notorious. I was totally out of guard because my few recent trips in Dubai and Gold Coast in Australia were too perfect in tourism.

Please be extra careful and do not accept anything before you are either confirmed that it is free or a price that you are willing to pay. It is not wise to argue with local where you don't speak Thai.

I post the photo as I took after the incident. Please check it out if you encounter the same problem.

Visited April 2013
7 Thank Stanley_Wong1204
Bangkok
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“nice park,and can relax”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Sanam Luang was a long time ago that we had,and this place
they do a good thing.Like a ceremony ,King ,and important for the
Buddish day.And every body can come and pray and respect too.