“Good Budget Hotel”

Ranked #402 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Birmingham, Alabama
“Good Budget Hotel”
Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

Let me say that I rate a hotel by what you can expect *for the price* and not by the professional-star standard. This hotel is no frills budget, and for that, it is pretty good. The rooms are small and dated, but clean and in good working order. Ac works, tv works, shower has reliable hot water, and the beds are pretty comfortable. Not only that, the staff works hard and are trustworthy. We left several suitcases with the hotel while we took a weeklong trip to Chiangmai in between Samran Place stays and it was easy and secure- nothing went missing. The hotel has the best working wifi in all of the places I stayed in SEAsia (the only place I had a fast enough connection to Facetime/Skype), and I liked the breakfast a lot- set choices, but just enough variety of both Western and Asian to keep from getting tired of it. The location is also very close to the BTS and only one stop away from the Siam/MBK shopping complexes.

I'd definitely stay here again. Nothing fancy about it at all, but entirely functional.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank stateofzen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
NSW
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I chose Samran Place mainly for the location...close to BTS station, shopping areas and Airport link. After having stayed there I can say I would probably have preferred somewhere else. It's not bad, but it really depends on what you want. If you want budget, close to transport, not in a touristy area then that's what you'll get. Next time I would probably stay in a different area and pay a little bit more. Because of the number of hotels in Bangkok you really have to weigh up what you want...tourist areas? Close to public transport? Close to shopping? Near the river? We've stayed in Bangkok a few times now and each time we've stayed somewhere different to try out the different areas and what they had to offer. Samran Place is close to transport, the prices aren't bad and it's not too far from the shopping area. Although we didn't go in and check it out, from the outside, Bangkok City Hotel looked much nicer and was next door so would maybe check that out if you want this area. After reading some of the other reviews here we were apprehensive, but it was okay for us...clean, air-con (though sometimes a bit cold) and no problems.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelnblues
Turkey
Reviewed December 30, 2012

i found this place through booking.com. My booking was for superior room which has supposed to have flat screen TV, sitting area, and bathtube. They made me pay upon check in, although that agency has my credit card details. I paid 1300 baht per night. You get what you pay for, but everyone deserves a clean room and honest staff. Besides 1300 baht is not too bad in Thailand standards.
I tell you that you can find decent 4 star hotels only by paying 1400-1500 baht.
First room i was shown was on 6th floor facing the street, it had two old dusty chairs (sitting area) and had a bathtube. No safebox no kettle. too dusty. There were pillows but no pilow case. The room and windows was too dusty that i thought the weather is rainy outside and i immediately felt the dust on my skin, my skin became itchy.
I didnt want to make any hassle though, but the noise was unbearable that i felt like i was sleeping on the street. I asked for a change, they showed me a brighter room on 8 th floor, smaller but quiet. Obviously it was a standard one, there was no bathtube, no flat screen no sitting area not even a hair dryer, i asked if they are sure it is a superior room, the bloke with lipstick on assured me that it is superior.
First night i noticed that the bed sheets were dirty, because there was a strange head smell on them. In the morning i horrified that seeing loads of brown stains on the bed sheet, same for towels. I immediately asked for cleaning, two grinning/ laughing cleaners came and they changed only one pillow case. I didnt ask to change the other as i use only one pillow, actually i was only fed up of struggling.
There was always a trouble about cleaning, they never replace the toileteries, toilet papers, they never change the towels, they just fold them neatly almost they pretend like they did a good job.
Finally I broke down, my other pillow case was still dirty, after cleaning there was no towel in the room, one of the trash bin was full, no toilet paper, no complimentary water. I went down to the 5 th floor and i saw a cleaning cart and i obtained all by myself.
Worst is when i asked about the difference between superior and standard room, hotel asked me to contact with booking.com. And booking .com did actually nothing only they blamed me because i was the one who asked for a quieter room. Agency and hotel stole my money, 1000 baht.

Room Tip: Dont stay this hotel, stay Silom Sathorn area and use BST (bangkok sky train) to go strategic places...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank PetekAtes

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Reviewed October 10, 2012

My parents (83 years old) have been staying at this hotel for the past 30 years. They have always been accorded much respect and assistance. Samran Place may be a little dated, but they remember and take very good care of their regular guests. No service is too insignificant. I was amazed in my last trip (September 2012) that such courtesy, helpfulness and friendliness accorded to my parents were also extended to my sister and myself. Breakfast whilst limited was always inpeccably served. Of note, was that whenever a guest remarked that she preferred less of one item, more servings of another item was given. Their staff stayed alert to the whims of their guests!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank YeoMM
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

Room was spacious and tidy. The restaurant below was ok. Across the road theres a convenience store and many food vendors. Staff was ok but the security - bellman - taxi caller deserve a shout. So ever cheerful and helpfull eventho his english was bad. Location wise, is abit far from the shopping area and shops. But u get wat u paid for. Better options arnd.

• Stayed December 2011
Singapore
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed here a few times, consistently clean with working facilities e.g iron, safe, tv. Good location, close to Ratchathewi BTS station. Staff are good depending on who you get (lots of interns, high staff rotation)

Room Tip: For a good nights sleep, ask for rooms facing away from main street and away from the main elevator.
Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Shumin
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My hotel requirements are pretty basic - just need a place to be in a convenient location, clean, safe, and budget-friendly. Stayed here four nights at a really excellent promo rate off their website (950 bht for twin share). Wifi works all the time,breakfast was good and the local choices are better. I would have preferred if they served some fruit with the local choices, but then again outside the hotel to the left is already a plethora of fruit and other food choices (turn down the soi before 7-11). To the hotel right, towards the Ratchadewi BTS is a row of small local restaurants. I think they're open only at night. Foot massage right next door has hits and misses - i got a good masseuse but my friends didn't. Hotel is also within reasonable walking distance of Platinum, Pantip, Siam, etc. Getting here from airport is also easy - take Phaya Thai airport express from airport B1, then either transfer to BTS (1 stop to Ratchadewi) or walk from Phaya Thai station itself. 2 small minus points - pillows are quite horrible. Way too hard and high! I ended up sleeping on the small cushions. Cable TV also seemed to have very bad reception, in my room at least. All in all, would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012