“Spend the money and get a real massage!”

Wat Pho Thai Traditional Massage School
Ranked #4 of 524 Spas & Wellness in Bangkok
Reviewed August 17, 2013

My wife and I got thai massages here 2 weeks ago and are both still in pain. I have a shoulder injury and told the massage student that my shoulder was injured and that he needed to be careful. He was not paying attention during the massage (he was chatting with a colleague), put his foot in my armpit and proceeded to pull my arm--which separated my shoulder. While he was very apologetic, I am now on the verge of needing surgical repair. The rest of the massage was very painful and despite my repeated pleas to soften up, it never got more gentle. My wife had the exact same experience. We each walked out it pain (we are young, fit people) swearing we had just made a big mistake,

It's also a bit weird because it is cramped and everyone is laid out next to strangers. So, you're getting a massage right next to a complete stranger, often times on your side looking right at a stranger looking back at you.

2  Thank Josh_L60745
Write a ReviewReviews (1,945)

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Very pricy compared to other Massage opportunities around town but it is worth the price for sure! If you are searching for a Happy Ending you should go to Khaosan Road but if you want to find a professional and traditional Massage go to Wat Pho! Go around the temple and as soon as the sun gets to hot for you and your feet start to hurt, relax during a 1 hour long massage.

1  Thank Florian W
Reviewed July 24, 2013

It's great to visit after you've toured the Grand Palace and Wat Pho. Just follow the signs inside Wat Pho and these will lead you to the building. We appreciated the air-conditioned massage pavilion, the orderly numbering system and the friendly staff. we decided to get a 1-hr Thai Body massage (420 baht) and a 30 min Foot massage (280 baht). Separate numbers were given for these services. We waited around 30 mins for our turn, which was no hardship since we were able to secure seats inside the pavilion, which was fully air-conditioned. When we were called for the body massage, they noted that we were also in line for the foot massage so they just instructed the masseuse to combine them, which was better and more efficient.

There are around 10-14 beds available for the body massage and around 5 chairs for the foot massage. No, you do not have to be in your underwear for the body massage (which is a good thing because privacy is nonexistent). They just asked us to change our pants into a generic, one-size-fits-all loose trousers and led us to the beds. And proceeded to give us one of the best massages ever. EVER. when the 1 hour was done, we were seriously contemplating extending our time! they then led us to comfortable arm chairs, gave us sweetened water to drink and then got on with our foot massage. Wow. If feet can smile, ours would be grinning. It was just what we needed after a long day of walking. My masseuse even gave me blanket to use when she noted that i was shivering (yes, it was that cool inside - welcome break from Bangkok's humidity). Still, all good things must come to an end. We changed back into our street clothes, put our shoes back on and gave our masseuses big tips :)

So, to anyone looking for a great Thai massage - this is the place to go. There is usually a long queue, and you will be told that it's a 40 minute wait. Please know that it is worth the wait and it usually doesn't take 40 minutes. I will definitely make it a point to come back!

8  Thank nanitumlos
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We visited the temple primarily because of the massage school, and it was justified.
At the time we didn't know much about thai massages, but we had lots of thai massages after this one during our 4 week stay in Thailand, and this was definitely top three.
The outdoor setting is unbeatable, but indoors it was quite average and quite small, when the place is busy you can feel it.
You won't have a hard time finding cheaper places, but at least here you know they either already are top professionals, or are learning to be. A lot of other places they didn't seem to care about mastering the techniques, and you could feel them fumbling around to just get through the routine quickly. Here they cared about placing you correctly before continuing, which was much more pleasant.

1  Thank Evan S
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We went there after reading so manu good reviews. Although the fee is higher than outside market rate, ThaiB420 for an hour thai massage which is worth every pennies!

Me and my friends had thai body massage. Their pillow have traditional herbs essences, the women gave me pressure points massage rather than oil massage.

I was so comfortable after the session. If you would like to find the unit. It was not far from Wat Pho (reclining buddha temple) walking towards the main road and see 7-11 before it, turn right an alley and walk towards the riverbank. It is on the left handside terraced unit.

Enjoy !!