“Trendy eatery ”

Ranked #342 of 10,966 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Banglamphu
Description: Originally an old Teak house that was rotting away on the corner of main road Sam Sen and Soi 1 (Thanon Lamphu)CHOMP The Comfort Cafe was created to fill the need for something different in the area.As much as possible of the original building was salvaged and the newly renovated 2 story cafe mixes homey red brick and industrial era features with wooden floors & ceilings in the old Thai building. Big glass windows are perfect for people watching in the hussle and bussle of Bangkok daily life while still enjoying natural light and staying cool in the air condition no matter what the weather.The second floor is a large roomy space with a kids play area, a family seating section with sofas and comfy chairs. It acts as an art gallery exhibiting local artists & photographers on a monthly rotating basis. Functions, parties, playgroups along with other community and social events (Poetry readings, Comedy nights etc) also take place on the 2nd floor. We have Yoga classes, BJJ Jiu Jitsu & more
“Trendy eatery ”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Great place to eat, menu is full of tasty sounding food, veg and non veg. Owner is friendly, and welcoming as are the staff. Easy to find being about five minutes walk to Kaosan road. Highly recommend.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Unpleasant Surprise :(”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I was unpleasantly surprised by our visit to Chomp. I am a foreign English teacher and I live a few blocks away from Chomp. Many of my friends and co-workers recently visited the restaurant, and raved about it, so I was excited to test it out. Don't get me wrong, the food was very good, and I thoroughly enjoyed the beef burger I ordered, but I was surprised by the rude and unprofessional service I received.

Firstly when we walked into the restaurant, the western woman who I am assuming is the owner, was openly yelling at one of her employees. This immediately made us feel uncomfortable and awkward in the restaurant.

The second incident happened when I received my burger, and noticed that there was no cheese on it. I politely asked if the burger came with cheese, and the wait staff looked a little confused and then told me it was inside the burger...okay, no problem, I thanked them and was ready to begin my meal. Then out of no where, the same woman mentioned above, stormed over to our table and in a very rude and angry tone told me that "I did not order cheese with my burger, and that none of the burgers come with cheese unless you order it." I again in a very polite tone told her sorry, but I could of sworn it included cheese (or else I definitely would have ordered it), that is when I asked to see the menu just to double check, and what do you know...it does specifically say it comes with cheese. When she read the menu and saw her error, you think she would have apologize, nope. She rolls her eyes and seemed to blame the wait-staff for the mistake.

I am a very understanding person, and I would have been okay with them making a mistake here and there, but it was the fact that I was treated in such an aggressive and rude manner that upset me. I know everyone has their days, but when you are working in the restaurant business you don't take it out on your customers-especially nice customers.

anyway, I do have to say the burger was quite good, but I don't think I will be returning anytime soon after being treated like a child.

• Visited December 2013
6 Thank crazy4cheese
Winnipeg
“oasis in old bangkok”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Would highly recommend this nicely run establishment in the Samsen area. My husband and I greatly enjoyed our generous brunch here at very reasonable prices. The real selling point however is the warm and hospitable welcome from the owners and helpful suggestions on what to do during our remaining time in Bangkok.

Visited November 2013
Cocoa Beach, Florida
“Best Burger in Bangkok.”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I was told to head here by a handful of my local friends, and some friends on Koh Tao. Apparently the owner is a former resident of Koh Tao, which is why so many of my friends seem to know her!

Anyway, Chomp is a 5-10 minute walk from the madness that is Khao San road. It's a nice walk with plenty of market stalls on the way.

The menu is a good size, it's clearly all made fresh. Which is a nice change from the normal Thai restaurant with 100+ items on the menus. All made from huge vats of curry paste.

The food was great, nicely presented, great taste, fresh and well cooked. As others have said, it's a little more expensive for the surrounding area. But you are clearly getting a good burger (or whatever you order). I paid 300 Baht for the Cajun chicken burger with fries and an ice tea lemon. For 70 Baht you can get a Thai meal with a drink up the road. But as I said, the food here is worth it.

The staff are friendly, they never rush you to leave. More than happy for customers to eat, drink and chill out watching the world go by through the floor to ceiling windows.

Highly recommend. I'll probably go back tomorrow...

• Visited November 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I spent more time here than expected, just came for breakfast and felt chilled out to stay for hours.The English breakfast is tasty. Coffee is also good. But the best here is ambiance. Feel warm and welcome by the owner. There are some ares for children-may be good for family.

• Visited January 2013