“Avoid at all costs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bangkok
New Merry V Guesthouse
Ranked #375 of 1,419 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed October 28, 2013

In my six months in Thailand, I've stayed in some rough places, but this one was the worst, hands down.

The price is cheap, but there are similar priced places in the area, of much better quality.

My main complaint is the staff. They are so rude. They made you feel bad for asking simple questions.
Our room had a shared bathroom, in which the water was freezing. I know it's nice to have a cool shower in Bangkok, but it was unbearably cold. Also, there were no plug sockets in the room or outside, which meant phones etc had to be left downstairs to charge - neither safe nor practical. The rooms were so small, you could barely turn round, with the most uncomfortable, camp-bed type beds.
But above all, the horrible staff just made this place unbearable!

Avoid it like the plague!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank RhiRa

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I'm not a complainer but have also traveled enough to find the good in a place... The rooms remind me of a prison room, the service staff made me feel guilty for asking simple questions, no free wifi, no breakfast, no delights.

We stayed here out of pure exhaustion... And for that, it works. Still cost is 750 baht a night for a private double.

Ugh, I'm annoyed even thinking about it. So much better value everywhere/anywhere else!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

The first night in Bangkok we stayed at Erawan which is a totally competent place but at nearly twice the price and no view so we moved here the second night.

Room 144 at Merry V is a gem, it has natural light and you can see some high rises as well as the cable bridge. Not bad for 420 B double with air conditioning and private bath.

On to of that, it has a balcony next to the room that isn't private but nobody else came during our stay.

Otherwise, it is very basic room with friendly staff. Towel service is 20, wifi is 20 for an hour, 60 for 24 hours, and 120 for 72 hours.

If you can get one of the upper floor rooms like room 144, don't pass it up. The other rooms evaluate on a case by case basis.

1  Thank velowander
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Spent one night here. Wouldn't spend two. Wifi didn't work and for 60bht per day costs we had to persuade for our money back ten minutes after we paid for the wifi. Also, they don't tell you the wifi can only be used by one person at one time.

Upon asking to see the room I was given a key and pointed upstairs. Every other hotel, hostel etc has always showed me into the room but in this case I had to climb four floors stopping on each floor to find my room. In the end I had to ask a guest who showed me. The hallway was dark and upon eventually getting into the room I couldn't find the slot for the key for power. Another trip to ask the helpful guest and she showed me. All of this would have been a breeze had the many members of staff present offer to show me their room. Customer service is not a priority here.

Wouldn't stay again but it's cheap.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeasickSausage
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is cheap, no frills, close to the action and I recommend it if you don't want to spend more than you have to on a room in Bangkok. I will stay there each time I go through Bangkok en route to nicer places!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My room instantly made me think of prison...except they get a tv. No complaints for the price and the largish desk was handy but no power points in my room, hmmm. Wifi is now sixty baht a day, which compares a hell of a lot better to most places given I only paid 180 baht.

Room Tip: Try to go higher and further back from the road if possible
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located within walking distance to khao san (2 min) but without the noise. We stayed in room 305 - double fan with private bathroom for 450b. It was very basic, with a bed and small table in the large room. We liked that the window could open wide with built in mosquito net so we could leave them open at night. Although we didn't have a view , it allowed us to get some airflow through the room. Bedding clean, with a bottom sheet and blanket provided. Bathroom clean with reasonably high pressured shower (a rarity). Very quiet at night with our room facing out the back of the building. Did have to walk through what appears to be the cleaners living spaces etc to get up the stairs but not a big deal. Overall very basic but clean and comfortable relative to price.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple