“Teak Teak and more Teak”
Review of Vimanmek Mansion

Full Day Koh Si Chang Including Lunch from Pattaya
Ranked #105 of 584 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Closed for renovation Built by King Rama V, this palace is the largest teak structure in the world featuring a unique blend of Victorian and delicate Thai architecture.
Reviewed August 1, 2013

This is a great palace near the zoo it has a very old Timey Thailand feel to it with its grand decor and golden teak carvings. This is where the old kings of Thailand use to hold court Rama 4 and 5. They call it a mansion but its actually a palace. If you ever wanted to see what Thailand use to look like back in the day look no further than this place.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

From the very carpets of lush red and golden to the silky bolster of a cushion, every inch of this magnificent place is jaw-dropping. I went in the morning just to the flakes of sunlight bouncing off its roof and spreading all over the freshly watered grass like diamond ashes! Words can’t describe how every tiny detail of this garden of beauty is blooming with splendor and enchantment! This is truly a place I’d recommend everyone to visit at least once in their lives; preferably with somebody to nod to in amazement and share the excitement with!

Reviewed July 24, 2013

All of us tourists have our own preferences when it comes to places of interests. Having been to so many palaces, it's now getting a bit difficult for me to be satisfied. I saw the other reviews where is was "just okay." But my love for gold certainly made me enjoy this mansion. There's a reason why photos are not allowed and this is the only place where they really ask you to leave your personnal belongings in a locker. Despite the "no photos" in other places, tourists don't observe this and still take pictures. I just think that's wrong if you want to preserve what's being exhibited here. To me, I don't need those pictures to remember what I saw. I certainly prefer to pay for a locker for security rather than risk losing my stuff and getting stolen. I was pickpocketed in Copenhagen last year and I'm glad they have lockers where I can keep my belongings.

We were not part of a tour so we can take our time or we can rush out. That's the beauty of doing your own tours. They gave us some headphone to listen to as we walked inside and ours was in English. I was just awed by the gold that was shown here from the palanquin to the boat used by royalty that was duplicated in gold. The diamonds to clasp the curtain was certainly something to feast your eyes on. I guess we women are attracted to gold because of our jewelry! I just never really thought of the wealth of the royalty in Thailand until I visted the Vimanmek Mansion. THUMBS UP for me!

Wherever you go, you should google what is required so you are prepared and dressed for it. If it's something you don't want to adhere to, then skip the tour wherever it is. If you go to the Basilica in Rome, they also have a dress code. If you go to some mosque, they have rules. You have to observe it if you want to enter. When traveling, be flexible. Otherwise, you will be disappointed or whoever is traveling with you will think you're a whiner.

4  Thank Parisbreakfast
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This was moderately interesting, but would not be high on my list of 'must sees'. Basically it is an old mansion furnished with many European pieces. The king of the period, had spent much time and was greatly influenced by Europe. Again, no photographs and cameras must be left in lockers.

1  Thank ChelsiVienna_VA_USA
Reviewed June 27, 2013

So much literature oohing and aahing about this place. Why? Seems to be a favorite place for bus tours to march through hundreds of tourists at a time, with guides shouting their patter and herding their charges along at a brisk pace.
You have to check your bags (for a fee), you have to give up your shoes, then you enter this rambling wooden house that has no English signage (and very little Thai, actually) and is basically used as a warehouse for unwanted photos, dishes and tchatchkes from the royal family. The only English signs are a ridiculous number of "DON'T TOUCH" and "DON'T SIT" placed on everything, and I mean everything. The guards are indifferent, playing on their phones and eating. I was profoundly disappointed in this place. So many better ways to spend your time in Bangkok.