“Beautiful house, putty about not being about to take photos”
Review of Vimanmek Mansion

Full Day Koh Si Chang Including Lunch from Pattaya
Ranked #114 of 592 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Closed for renovation Built by King Rama V, this palace is the largest teak structure in the world featuring a unique blend of Victorian and delicate Thai architecture.
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was probably my favorite thing in Bangkok and was included in the Grand Palace ticket, otherwise it's 100 baht. We couldn't take pictures inside and had to put all our belongings (excluding only a wallet) in a 20 baht locker (one time use). Once inside, the tour takes about 30 minutes and nothing is marked so taking a tour might be a better option if you want to know more about what you're looking at. They have English and Thai tours but I didn't see a price. The house takes about 30 mins to see. If you're short on cash, you can walk 10 mins to the throne hall next door (or take the free shuttle) and use the free lockers there, see the mansion then return to the throne hall, and take your things. The dress code is the same as the grand palace, no legs, shoulders or boobs showing. They only have clothes for sale (no borrowing).

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Surly military yelling at tourists, herding through the buildings, unfortunately ruining a very interesting site.

1  Thank cairoluxoristambul
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Tried to visit on a Saturday and as expected it was incredibly busy.
First annoyance is dual pricing for foreigners. Yes it's only 25Baht extra but that's besides the point. My wife as a Thai tax payer should be entitled to local rate but the staff wouldn't allow it.
After having purchased the ticket we noticed the sign informing us about needing to cover up. I'd expect this as religious sites but not at a former palace that was once used purely for storage! We expected to be able to hire something but were forced to purchase a sarong.

After getting herded along by staff we were told that no belongings were allowed inside and that we'd have to use a locker. It turns out that you have to pay for the locker and you don't get the money back. I'm sorry but that's despicable.....

After removing your shoes then it's up to the door for the metal detector and FRISKING! by staff. We looked through the door but there was no opportunity to browse at your own leisure. People were constantly being herded through like cattle. We decided it wasn't for us.

The whole thing seemed like a money making scheme. A horrible experience of rude staff herding cash cow tourists through. The reason we went was so that my wife could see if the attraction was an appropriate destination for her Thai school children.... it's definitely off the list.

1  Thank TaffInThailand
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've been to Vimanmek twice and both times I wasn't dressed to the satisfaction of the staff. I should have remembered that this is still royal property so one has to cover up more than usual. No matter; if you're seen as exposing too much, they'll provide suitable cover.

That aside, it's a wonderful house. Architecturally, it is a stunning piece, considering it's all made of teak wood. You are taken on a guided tour through the house, with about 20 other people. Before entering you have to shed your shoes, camera and phone.

The house was constucted for King Rama V, perhaps the most beloved of the Thai kings, around the turn of the 20th century. It is stuffed with a collection of royal furniture and memorabilia that ranges from the trivial to highly significant. Fortunately, the tour moves slowly enough for all of the rooms to be viewed in full (at least from the doorways).

Outside the house, in the grounds, is a restaurant serving tasty and reasonably priced food. Follow the signs. After your visit you can go to the nearby Dusit Zoo..

1  Thank Andrew K
Reviewed February 27, 2013

After I visited Grand palace, I got to know that the Entrance to Vimanmek mansion is free if you have the entrance tickets to Grand Palace. I knew that this Vimanmek mansion is the world’s largest teakwood building. So why not visiting this place..?.

The easiest way to reach Vimanmek from Grand palace is the Chaophraya river express boat service (I think). You have to go to Tha chang pier, and take the orange color flag boat to the right hand direction. The ticket was 15 THB.Thewes is the pier you should get down, which is next to Rama 8 Bridge pier. However, the mansion is about 3-4 km away from the Thewes pier and you have to take a Taxi. In my case I went there by a Motor Bike taxi. The Taxi cost me 40 THB to go to the mansion at Ratchawithi Rd. At the entrance, I had to show my grand palace ticket to pass the security check point. Also, no one can take any bags/cameras inside the mansion. I had to rent a locker to keep my stuff at the security point. It cost me 20 THB. The mansion was very large and it has I think about 3 floors. All made of wood. Lot of antique style items including furniture, electrical items,sculptures,statues,porttraits,pictures of natives of Thailand,.., etc. It is worthwhile to visit this place if you have been to Grand palace. I stayed there about 2 hours, and returned to Thewes pier by a motorbike taxi. It cost me only 30 THB. Then I took the express boat back to Phra Arhit Pier, to reach my hotel in Kaosan road.

I hope you guys/gals enjoyed my review in Vimanmek mansion and try the rout I use above.

Good luck..!