“Don't forget to dress modestly!”
Review of Vimanmek Mansion - CLOSED

Vimanmek Mansion
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Closed for renovation Built by King Rama V, this palace is the largest teak structure in the world featuring a unique blend of Victorian and delicate Thai architecture.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've been to Vimanmek twice and both times I wasn't dressed to the satisfaction of the staff. I should have remembered that this is still royal property so one has to cover up more than usual. No matter; if you're seen as exposing too much, they'll provide suitable cover.

That aside, it's a wonderful house. Architecturally, it is a stunning piece, considering it's all made of teak wood. You are taken on a guided tour through the house, with about 20 other people. Before entering you have to shed your shoes, camera and phone.

The house was constucted for King Rama V, perhaps the most beloved of the Thai kings, around the turn of the 20th century. It is stuffed with a collection of royal furniture and memorabilia that ranges from the trivial to highly significant. Fortunately, the tour moves slowly enough for all of the rooms to be viewed in full (at least from the doorways).

Outside the house, in the grounds, is a restaurant serving tasty and reasonably priced food. Follow the signs. After your visit you can go to the nearby Dusit Zoo..

1  Thank Andrew K
in 24 reviews
"complex"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed February 27, 2013

After I visited Grand palace, I got to know that the Entrance to Vimanmek mansion is free if you have the entrance tickets to Grand Palace. I knew that this Vimanmek mansion is the world’s largest teakwood building. So why not visiting this place..?.

The easiest way to reach Vimanmek from Grand palace is the Chaophraya river express boat service (I think). You have to go to Tha chang pier, and take the orange color flag boat to the right hand direction. The ticket was 15 THB.Thewes is the pier you should get down, which is next to Rama 8 Bridge pier. However, the mansion is about 3-4 km away from the Thewes pier and you have to take a Taxi. In my case I went there by a Motor Bike taxi. The Taxi cost me 40 THB to go to the mansion at Ratchawithi Rd. At the entrance, I had to show my grand palace ticket to pass the security check point. Also, no one can take any bags/cameras inside the mansion. I had to rent a locker to keep my stuff at the security point. It cost me 20 THB. The mansion was very large and it has I think about 3 floors. All made of wood. Lot of antique style items including furniture, electrical items,sculptures,statues,porttraits,pictures of natives of Thailand,.., etc. It is worthwhile to visit this place if you have been to Grand palace. I stayed there about 2 hours, and returned to Thewes pier by a motorbike taxi. It cost me only 30 THB. Then I took the express boat back to Phra Arhit Pier, to reach my hotel in Kaosan road.

I hope you guys/gals enjoyed my review in Vimanmek mansion and try the rout I use above.

Good luck..!

6  Thank Roshan P
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Very beautiful place. Extremely rich architecture and decoration. It is definitely worth visiting. One has to be properly dressed though - no shorts, no nacked shouders ...

Reviewed February 21, 2013

this mansion is very close to dusit zoo. walk able distance. to reach here you can take taxi from victory monument. around 2.5km. plenty of buses available from victory monument. traffic is very high. monday is weekly off. 10am to 4pm is the timing but after 3.30 they wont allow. rude staff. worth visit. fully made of teak wood. its beautiful. if u hv grand palace ticket within 7 days this can be visited. else 100 baht entry fee. you are nt allowed to carry camera, lockeres are provided outside the mansion.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 20, 2013

if you are the one who really like visiting and enjoying museums, this is the place that you must visit, but one thing to consider is you really have to follow the rules, always wear trousers or jeans, not a short pants, otherwise they will not let you in. Camera and other things should be deposit at a locker rooms. if they catch you bring any handphone, they will not let you in, and once you come back to the locker rooms, they will ask you for the money to open the box. I would not recommend other travellers to go there without knowing any stories of this mansion, unless you go with a private tour guide or you search from the internet. Overall is a nice mansion with a good maintenance, bring you back to the old history.