“Nice Zoo. Great value for money”
Review of Dusit Zoo

Dusit Zoo
Ranked #90 of 584 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Koalas, elephants, zebras and pandas are just some of the 1,600 animals on display in this fairly well-maintained zoo. The zoo also boasts large green spaces and a pond with paddle boats.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

i got a taxi from khao san Road to dusit zoo. the taxi asked 100 bath no taxi meter because it was traffic time. he said if i use meter it is just about 40bath. but meter is not possible at traffic time.
air condition bus fare is around 12 bath.

there are several entrances to duzit zoo. i think four entrances.
going around by train is useless, unless you want to go quick to elephant show or seal show some other place. all people are very kind and helpful if you ask something friendly.

Entrance ticket of Dusit zoo for foreigners just 100 bath. entrance for seal show and elephant show is free.

do not forget to see penguins. penguin feeding time is 3.30 pm. they gave us a chance to take a photo with a penguin. i tried to give him money, but he said no.

dont pay for shark tank. errrrr its only a pond with 10 little shark inside it. dont even try it.

try KFC at dusit zoo. much cheaper than other KFC bangkok.

3  Thank Lorita P

Reviewed February 3, 2013

We were really pleasantly surprised by Dusit Zoo. Ensuring our little boy learns to respect animals is really important to us. Most zoos now you're a long way from the animals; but here, our one-year-old got to feed the hippos, elephants and penguins. His excitement at getting so close to the animals was beautiful. The animals were obviously well-cared for although the exhibits themselves could use a spruce up. It was great to see the way the keepers treated the animals; while you hope they genuinely care for the animals, seeing them display that care is very reassuring.
It is an older zoo (built in the 1930s I believe) and they're currently giving parts of the zoo a bit of a facelift, so places like the food area weren't open when we visited, although a few shops were still open to get basics for lunch. It certainly didn't impact on our overall enjoyment of the zoo.
We visited mid week and it wasn't at all crowded.
Like all of Bangkok though, the taxi drivers are mostly from other parts of Thailand and the zoo isn't on their everyday route so having a map handy is a good back-up if they haven't been there before.

2  Thank Belinda1_13
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Dusit zoo is the most crowed, busy zoo I have ever visited. It is a must do but it wont be relaxing. The exhibits, if you can get to them, are average at best. The cab could not get close so had to walk the remaining 3km. Still if you want to experience Bangkok, then you need to visit the zoo. No fee the day I went but it will be minimal otherwise.

1  Thank TexasTerry_12
Reviewed January 19, 2013

i got to know about this zoo from my friends. so we also planned having a look there and it was truly amazing! it was really entertaining! i would like to be there again some day! :D

1  Thank Sukhmani S
Reviewed January 12, 2013

You can spend some pleasant time in this zoo, however do not expect to see anything spectacular. There aren't that many animal species inside and many of them look tired. The feel of the place is good though, and you can rent a bike and go through the zoo.

Also expect some difficulty to get to Dusit Zoo (and then out of the zoo back to where you are staying) because though it is in a central location near the palaces, the area is not accessible by MRT or Skytrain. The closest BTS station is Victory Monument, which is not exactly close to the zoo.

I got down at that station and had to find my way from there. I didn't want to take a tuk tuk or cab because of the risk of being charged a disproportionate fare by the driver (which frequently happens in Bangkok). I therefore had to try to guess in which direction I had to go (using my map), then taking a bus going in this direction. Same tactic for returning to the BTS, which caused me to change buses and walk on several occasions!

2  Thank PrAppadoo