“We went to see the tiger but he was asleep”

Samutprakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo
Ranked #185 of 536 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Owner description: The world’s largest crocodile farm features both fresh- and saltwater species along with other animals including elephants, lions, gibbons and snakes.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“We went to see the tiger but he was asleep”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This is a very easy place to complain about. It is run-down and in need of some decent management. As a regular visitor to Sydney Zoo and wildlife parks in Sydney this is not a pleasant experience. On the day we went the place was almost deserted and very few animals were on display.

About 30 people watched the elephants go through their paces and the croc feeding drew a similar number but this is not an exciting attraction.

The tiger at the front gate was asleep for all the time we were there so no photos thanks and the monkeys looked pretty bored too.

So if all you want is to look at a sleeping tiger , a few bored monkeys and some crocs this is your place. A very depressing time was had. Unfortunately I have been spoilt by going to better run and more attractive zoos than this.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Chiang Rai, Thailand
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Enjoyable depending on your perspective of animals”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I was abit hesitant to put a review because so many of the reviews are quite negative and critical. I went here as part of my tour with Sun Leisure world and I really enjoyed it. I didn't notice any animals getting abused. The tiger chained near the entrance for the purpose of people getting pictures, I felt more for him.

The elephant show was really fun and being an adult, I still really enjoyed it. I was amazed at the things the elephants could do like play football/soccer. I didnt think they were getting abused at all or at least I didnt notice anything and the elephants were being well loved by all the tourists in my perspective and for 20 baht you can feed the elephants although I never once felt pressured about it.

They had a baby elephant there by his mother and the Thai man who was taking care of them made sure no tourists were feeding the baby the skin of the banana peel because the baby was too little to do it himself so the man was helping.

For the crocodile show, I had to close my eyes sometimes as watching someone put their head or an arm in the mouth was scary for me. Yes, they get them out of the water and grab a hold of their tales but I guess that part didn't bother me because I am not emotionally attached to a crocodile so depending on what kind of animal person you are, you may not like that.

But I thought, what about the Thai men risking their lives for a show? That too me left me more shocked than them grabbing tails of crocodiles.

You can buy crocodile soup for 60 baht although it was so hot the last thing I wanted was hot croc soup. Overall I really enjoyed my visit there and I think it's worth a visit although if I had a choice between the snake farm and this, I would definately pick the snake farm.

I think as well if you compare this to a zoo in Canada, US, or Australia or a place like that you could be setting yourself up for some disappointment because it's not like that but at the same time it was definitely nice to touch the elephants and I sure have never seen a crocodile show before!

Visited February 2013
Budapest, Hungary
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Animal's hell”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

If you love animals,do not go there!
1 and half hour to Bankok,it is 400 Bath by taxi,and more 400 the back trip.The ticket is 300 Bath per person.
The place is old,dirty,worn out,distressing and smelly.
Bears,monkeys closed in pokey small dirty cages,without natur,just concrete and metal.
The crocodiles are in dirty water and ewerywhere plastic paper and metal sweppings.
You can see wild piggies in concrete celle,but they grow up for food to the tigers.
You can see sweet bunnies.For the big snakes.
Tere are crocodiles was born different abnormality,closed in 3-4 sqm.
Chained deranged elephants,chained baby chinpanzes,chained tiger with torn claws,baby tigers in small cage.Over there CHAINED PARROTS in cage!
There is not a zoo.It is prison and death.There is a crocodile farm and slaughterhouse.They sell crocodile skin and they give the crocodile meat for the crocodiles.
The place is like a surrealistic nightmare.Terrible,horrible.
Don't go there! Don't support the animal torture!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank bogn_rf
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Avoid the zoo to save the animals!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I'm not an animal rights activist but seeing the condition of the animals in the zoo really made me and my girlfriend sad. All the animals were I'll treated in the zoo, from the tigers and elephants which were chained up to the orang utan who seems to be crying. Birds were chain up preventing them from flying. Tigers were forced in a small cage and drugged for visitors to take photos with. The crocodile show was bad, the crocs were beaten by rod for no reason and the performers kept on begging money from visitors. All the animals were in bad conditions, caged with no room to roam, skinny with no food. Unless visitors buy food from the stall to feed them or else they don't get to eat anything. Pls save the poor animals!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank Comfyliving
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Entertainment”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

By Crocodile Farm tourist should not visualize a huge farms abundant of reptile species. Crocodile Farm on old Sukumvit Highway is a place to relax and witness some crocodile shows by couple of Thai guys. who play different risky tricks with the wild reptile, including inserting their head in the mouth of wild creature. Tourist are supposed to pay some small money for their adventure and performance. In addition to that elephant shows are displayed symbolizing ancient war tactics, involving number of elephants between two rival force.

Visited July 2012