“Lack of Animal Welfare”

Samutprakan Crocodile Farm and Zoo
Ranked #182 of 537 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Owner description: The world’s largest crocodile farm features both fresh- and saltwater species along with other animals including elephants, lions, gibbons and snakes.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lack of Animal Welfare”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Well, my son and his friend (whose family lives in Thailand) had a great time, but the lack of animal welfare and the treatment of the animals was very disturbing to us as adults. They have tigers and chimps that you can take pictures with. They are caged and surely not treated well in order to entice the public. We went to a bear sanctuary a week later in Cambodia and part of the education included reminding us that taking pictures with animals was very bad for animal welfare and contributed to the maltreatment of them in general--boy we felt even worse being reminded of our missteps. An adult tiger there was most definitely drugged to allow people to take photos with it--it didn't move the whole time we were there and made very sad, pathetic roars--well, they can't even count as roars actually, more like mewling. There are other animals there we didn't see, but I can only imagine. Many will find the crocodile treatment also disturbing, although as it is a breeding farm I found it less morally reprehensible. The overall farm/zoo is quite run-down. I hope an animal welfare agency can rescue the animals from this place soon.

Visited December 2012

• Turkish first
Vancouver, BC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Animal Cruelty and constant Begging for cash”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Most animals are in a horrible state of malnutrition and suffer from visible diseases and conditions. Cages are tiny and dirty. The shows are mediocre and one is constantly asked to give tips to artists or buy food for the performing animals. Pricing is strictly racist with 300 baht for non-Thais and 80 baht for ethnic Thais, regardless of passport.

2 Thank Fabian S
Canberra, Australia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Good shows but concerned about animal welfare”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We had a fun day and enjoyed the crocodile and elephant shows but always had the nagging suspicion that the animals were not being treated properly. I don't know anything about what is good animal welfare but the conditions looked very bleak compared to some other zoos I have visited in Sydney and Singapore.

The venue is very run down and could do with some serious maintenance and a coat of paint. The food which was available was fairly poor and the hygiene standards on display had us cringe and check we had the imodium handy.

We traveled there using public transport - the BTS to Bearing station then a taxi ride which cost just over 100 baht.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Animal welfare needed”
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

I was in Thailand with my 3 yr old daughter and 7 yr old son. They were so excited when we entered the zoo. The price was a little hefty I must say as inside the zoo, conditions were poor especially for the animals. We started 1st off taking pictures with 2 huge cats which are the tigers. Even though they were strap with chains from neck to floor, it still is frightening. Then after we're the poor elephants that look so under nourish. They were in little cubicles and we get to buy them bananas and get to take pictures with them. From my understanding an elephant consumes a ton of food in the wild and they are obviously under fed. Then the elephant show began and loud bangs and smoke was use to present the show. I had a shock from the explosion but I guess the animal were already use to it. No matter it is still too much to consume for any living creature. Then came the crocodile show, thrilling enough but rather scary as the insert the human head in between the jaws. Then crowd toss money or coins into the cage to tribute the handlers. Coins fell into the crocs and the have to spoon it out with a stick. My heart goes out to the animals there, show or no show they should be treated better. Where does all the cash go?

1 Thank Husni m
Denmark
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Good experience”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We had a good day out with the kids. The crocodile show was good, and the kids had a fun day out.
I was more concerned about the animals, since the zoo looked a bit worn down. There where a lot of places where the smell was awful, because of rotten food.

We could take pictures with crocodiles, tigers and monkeys. The big tiger looked druged. The small tiger babies was cute and looked in good shape.