“Fantastic - but BEWARE!”

Chatuchak Weekend Market
Ranked #17 of 462 Shopping in Bangkok
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Chatuchack Weekend Market is indoor and outdoor market, Also known as JJ Market was reached a landmark status as a must-visit place for tourists. A huge market about 35 acres, with 27 sections in all, Many shops more than 10,000 shops and stalls offering a wide range of products from Thai handicrafts, handmade products, clothing, accessories, arts and painting, house decorations, households, souvenirs and gifts, pets, plants and book. The heaven for shopaholics!! Opening Hours; Tuesdays - Thursdays for Plants & gardens. Fridays for Wholesale night market Saturdays - Sundays for all areas are opened. Enjoy your shopping!!
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fantastic - but BEWARE!”
Reviewed July 24, 2011

We went to this market mid morning on a Saturday and having seen other markets such as the floating market we were very impressed with this one. So much to see and do and buy. A great day out and easy to get to by public transport.

BUT - about an hour in I discovered I had been pick pocketed. The thieves had managed to open a front pocket on my shorts which was buttoned closed and which I did not access at all whilst I was there. Further there was no wallet so no bulge from the pocket - incredible how they knew to look there and how they managed to get into a front pocket that was closed. Lost all our cash and credit cards - which almost made the rest of our holiday difficult.

So - please be careful; it is a wonderful market but have eyes in the back of your head. I always thought things like this happen to other people and not me as I am too aware!

Visited July 2011

Randwick, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Loved it!”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

It is just amazing how large this market really is. We bought a bunch of stuff and took a bunch of photos. I would say this is something that everyone should see once.
if you come to Thailand, please go to this market. really impressive!!

Visited May 2011
1 Thank bigoliverek
Gothenburg, Sweden
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“With patience you can find some gems”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

The market is crowed. Everything is sold here, food, pets, tourist stuff etc. If you want to find contemporary pieces of art go to Section 7. There you’ll can find some pieces from you designers to favourable price.

Visited July 2011
2 Thank Turbi1965
Sydney
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Go for the boxer shorts if nothing else”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

If you are in Bangkok on the weekend, don't miss your opportunity to visit Chatuchak Weekend Markets. Get on the Skytrain and go to Mo Chit station, then follow the signs. Or you can take the Metro there (the Metro station is right next to the market and closer than the Skytrain). The markets are absolutely enormous, and they sell everything under the sun. Absolutely everything. Leave companions who hate crowds at the hotel .

My TOP TIP is for males who wear boxer shorts: buy some from the vendors who sit on the pavement with suitcases full of them; most of them are tasteful striped cotton designs. In Australia in a department store it generally costs about $AUD20+ for a pair of boxers; at Chatuchak I bought them at 3 pairs for 100 baht! That's just over $1 each. They are just as good as the Australian ones, and one pair even has a "modesty mesh" usually seen in swimming trunks. I wish I had bought many more pairs as it would have set me up for life.

SIZE WARNING: I am pretty slim and wear size 32 jeans, and M-size boxers from Australia (I think they go up to something like XXL or migher even higher?). But I had to buy XL-size Chatuchak boxers. They were the largest size available. One vendor even charged me a bit extra for XL. Incidentally, on our earlier travels, at the Robinson Department Store near Central Pier (Taksin Skytrain) after I bought I Thai SIM card for my BlackBerry so I could make cheap local calls, I bought a nice pair of XXL boxers in a cheery pink and white check pattern for about $3. XXL was the largest size available.They fit me fine, maybe just a tad parachute-like around the legs. Are there no larger sizes in Thailand? Is everyone skinny? Or do fuller figures wear briefs? I can't work it out. Can I POSSIBLY be the fattest boxer-short wearer in Bangkok? I am like a rake. To all, be aware that the alleys in the markets are narrow and crowded.

Or buy a pair of fake Vans seakers like hubby did for about 32 bucks.

Try and find the pets section. This is delightful, all cute doggies and pussies luxuriating under swivelling fans or in air-conditioned booths. (It is hotter than Hades at the markets.) Though with the number of stray dogs in Thailand maybe not to be encouraged. I bought a Superdog outfit for my best mate at home, Billy the Schnauzer.

I also bought a bespoke ice-cream, which was fun. The lady dipped it in my choice of toppings and it was tops!

Visited June 2011
London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“A definate must!!”
Reviewed June 30, 2011

A definate must see- worlds largest outdoor market! You won't make your way around everything but chances are you'll end up buying something as you can buy everything! Obviously very hot and crowded at times, so keep your bag safe and stay rehydrated!! Try stop by the pet bit to see the teenytiny animals!

2 Thank torij89